April 18, 2024, 07:12:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Noise After Baker Attitude Adjust Install

Started by Propflux01, June 03, 2018, 07:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propflux01

Got a strange one, Hopefully something simple... I removed my Auto-tensioner from the primary, to replace with the Baker armored attitude adjuster. Everything seemed to go smooth, new bolt for the comp, torqued to specs, Did not have to remove the clutch basket to get comp off. removed the auto tensioner, notice slight witness marking on the case, indicating to me the chain was way tight. Chain didn't have too much movement. Anyhoo, installed the Baker, and according to instructions, put bike in gear, move chain around, find the tightest portion, and adjust 5/8 to 7/8 cold. found it, and adjusted it to 5/8. installed primary, filled it, and cranked up. seemed OK. Today, I take a ride, noticed immediately  when I started it, that the primary area makes a strange noise. Sounded like whirring rocks grinding around in there.Did not make a difference with clutch in or out. In gear, while riding you could hear it, all gears, RPM did not seem to make a difference, the sound is pretty stable, only whirring part got alittle faster as I went faster. Now here's the funny part: I rode at 70, oil was 220, nice and hot, and no sound, except very faint whir. No gravel. So... No noise before the Baker, noise after. Bike had full power, no jerking, bucking, etc.

Could I have maladjusted or misinterpreted the adjustment on the chain? I have adjusted primary chains on my previous bikes with manual adjusters without issue. Did it get quieter when hot because of expansion? or did I just uncover another issue after the replacement? At a loss here. Yes, all fasteners on the Baker unit torqued. I have a video of it but cannot seem to upload it here. Any help appreciated.
A Shovel And A 55-Gallon Drum Can Solve Alot Of Life's Little "Issues"...

Armin

If you assembled all per Baker instruction recheck the compensator nut.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Propflux01

I pulled the cover again, nothing seems loose, nut is tight on the comp. I had ridden 285 miles yesterday.

Ancient

I had similar results with one a couple years ago. Gave it 5K miles to quiet down. It didn't. I took it back out.
Greg

Propflux01

Ancient

Greg

Thermodyne

I've been running the attitude adjuster for a few years now.  And it was always a little loud.  Until after I replaced the wheels.

The issue was because of the sprocket shaft run out.  When adjusting it, the chain went from just snug to 5/8th slack depending on which way the crank was tuned. 

IronMike113

June 24, 2018, 06:33:03 AM #7 Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:37:40 AM by IRONMIKE113
Make sure the chain is running true,use a straight edge from the front comp to the rear clutch basket sprocket,I forget the min. Offset allowed,but I had to machine my front parts down to get the chain to run straight,read some where about different spacer for the comp,But I just turned mine down,

I know there is flexibility in the chain, maybe not that important,but since I was in there make it right,also updated the charging system ⚡️ CE,,,,,,,

And at this time,that's when I found out my bully baker primary cover wouldn't go on with the baker comp,which reminds me,I have to send it back to (Mark) Baker to get machined down to fit over the comp.,,,,,,, :emoGroan:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Uncle Salty

Quote from: Propflux01 on June 03, 2018, 07:21:26 PM
I take a ride, noticed immediately  when I started it, that the primary area makes a strange noise. Sounded like whirring rocks grinding around in there.

Did you get this resolved?

Thermodyne

I had my primary off to replace a shifter seal and on the way back together I had to leave the attitude adjuster on the bench.

I had not noticed anything up to this point as far as noise.  And the chain adjustment was fine when I opened it up.  But the bracket and added on support are both bent.  Sent Baker a Web page email, but no answer back yet.

hardheaded

I have the same thing going on and E-Mailed Baker pic's and was told it was OK.  I don't think so, but i'm running it.

Hillside Motorcycle

We now use the ones from Twin Power.
Poor luck with the Bakers.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

digga25

Had the same issue with the Baker. Very noisy. Also removed it and replaced with stock auto tensioner and welded it. Previous to that tried the Hayden and that broke that's when I went to the Baker. Best combo for me is the stock one with the compensaver in there.

Ancient

I was looking at the TP piece that Scott mentioned above. I want to like it but the shoe stud diameter seems a little small for the loads doesn't it? I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking it.

[attach=0]
Greg

Hillside Motorcycle

Those are not showing any issues here, even on our 117"s, and 124" combo's.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Fattybob52

I know this is an old thread.  Scott what model Twin Power tensioner?  Thanks Paul

tc1550

i also have installed the twinpower unit in my 117 dyna.I must say no issues as of yet on mine with some very hard miles to say the least .

Tail Ridr

How would these work with a 49 tooth clutch gear?
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

kd

No real life experience here with the TwinPower unit but if you have the proper chain that compensates for larger rear sprocket it should be OK.  With the original chain you end up with an excessive arc at the adjuster.   I have the 49 tooth basket and use the OEM adjuster with great success.
KD

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Fattybob52 on March 29, 2020, 09:37:10 AM
I know this is an old thread.  Scott what model Twin Power tensioner?  Thanks Paul

As I type, not sure, but it is listed in the TR catalog.

Propflux01

On mine, I ended up going with the SOHB tensioner. So far it worked great, and is very quiet.

jmorton10

FSG had the SOHB fall apart in his bike IIRC.

The Baker is definitely a POS. I had the first edition, then added the kit to make it the "armored" version.

When I took the primary apart this Winter to change the tranny, it was badly bent & the armored bracket was broken in 3 pieces.

I have the Twin-Power in mine now.

~John

HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Propflux01

Quote from: jmorton10 on April 08, 2020, 01:18:02 PM
FSG had the SOHB fall apart in his bike IIRC.

The Baker is definitely a POS. I had the first edition, then added the kit to make it the "armored" version.

When I took the primary apart this Winter to change the tranny, it was badly bent & the armored bracket was broken in 3 pieces.

I have the Twin-Power in mine now.

~John

Oh, joy. And so far its been the best one yet. I did think about returning the stock tensioner back in if this one gave me issues, but with this installed:

[attach=0]

Johnnie nap

Propflux, what is that a pic of ? And what does ir do?

Propflux01

April 09, 2020, 03:28:56 PM #24 Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:21:14 AM by FSG
It's called a bump-stop. you install it, and file down each little bar until you get your chain where you want it. It them stops the stock adjuster from ratcheting up

[attach=0,msg1341560]

You cannot see attachments on this board.

Johnnie nap

Well if that don't make ya sleep like a baby!!! 

zoot

Hate to say this but the Baker chain adjuster is a POS. And they don't wan't to deal with it.They give you the runaround. I gave up with them. I just won't buy anything from them any more.I went through 2 of them. Last one they just pissed me off with there my sh+t don't stink attitude about it.
Best thing I found is take the stock adjuster  and weld it. A little bead is all it takes. If it needs adjusting grind off weld ,adjust and reweld. Save your money

Johnnie nap

Anyone know where I can get the Evolution bump stop? The only one I found is in Europe. Not sure if it will make it here!

Ohio HD

Quote from: Johnnie nap on April 13, 2020, 03:34:08 AM
Anyone know where I can get the Evolution bump stop? The only one I found is in Europe. Not sure if it will make it here!

Yes, call the manufacture.

autoworker

April 13, 2020, 04:54:58 PM #29 Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:41:53 PM by autoworker
Quote from: Johnnie nap on April 13, 2020, 03:34:08 AM

Evolution Industries....tel:(909)594-7969
They should have some in stock.They finished up a batch about 3 weeks ago.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

Johnnie nap

Propflux01

Johnnie nap

May 06, 2020, 03:43:38 PM #33 Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 05:20:17 AM by FSG
So I received the bump stop from evolution industries. A little pricy for what it is (60 bucks plus shipping)for a little piece of metal IMHO worth if. It gives me peace of mind since I've been through a bent transmission main shaft,lost the splines in two clutch baskets not to mention multiple compensators. The bike is an 09 CVO road glide so it's lived through the learning curve of the MoCo's changes and upgrades to the primary case.
I did have to grind quite a bit off the bump stop to get the chain rite. But now it's smooth and quietest it's ever been and an alternative to welding.

Propflux01