March 28, 2024, 02:28:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

48 was converted to foot-shift, can I use, with mods, the same trans top?

Started by oregonpackrat, June 08, 2018, 12:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonpackrat

If I removed the ratchet and adapted the correct lever, would it work?
48FL, 73FL, S&S CHOP, 80FX, 01DYNA, 15FLS

guppymech

If I understand correctly, you want to go back to hand shift?  The foot shift and hand shift trans tops are different.  The hand shift shifter drum has detents in its circumference that locate the drum with a spring and ball in each gear with no positive stop. You could connect the hand shifter to the ratchet mechanism, then you'd have a sequential shifter that you bump forward and aft to shift  like the foot shift lever.

'84 FXE, '02 883R

oregonpackrat

Thank you for the explanation, and the photos.  I do want to go back to stock, so now I understand that I will need a new transmission top.  Will it bolt right on to the case? It looks like the whole case is different?

guppymech

That was just a pic I grabbed off the web, those two tops do look to be different sizes.  I have a friend that's building a '65 with a hand shift and he has both ratchet and hand shift tops and they interchange with no problems on his trans.  Looks like you're going to need some input from somebody with more knowledge than I have.  Do you know what year your trans is? 
'84 FXE, '02 883R

oregonpackrat

Not conclusively, no.  Its in a 48, but I have not identified it yet.   Any idea where numbers are?

packrat56

Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

guppymech

You could also read through this thread (that's where I got that pic).
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76812
My buddy with the '65 just told me the trans tops will interchange, no matter what that pic looks like.  The gasket for the top dates from 1936, p/n 34824-36.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

CraigArizona85248

The trans tops from '36 up until around the me '70s are all interchangeable. The lids in the photo above are the same size. It's an optical illusion that makes them look like different sizes.

-craig