May 03, 2024, 08:38:10 PM

News:

Pushrod tube gaskets

Started by a_disalvo, July 30, 2018, 11:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

anyone know where I can buy silicone pushrod gaskets for a 1979 shovel. They look like the cork gaskets but are silicone that can be reused. Thanks, Frank

a_disalvo

Those are the cork version, some body makes a blue silicone rubber one that lasts forever if you don't cut them like I did!!! Indy used them on my bike many years ago, he is not in business anymore, don't know who makes them, checked JP, ebay, Jireh, no luck!!

packrat56

Here's onhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-17955-48-4-17955-36-8-Silicon-Seal-large-small-Panhead-Shovelhead/142862470027?hash=item2143444b8b%3Ag%3AzGoAAOSwbE9a9ZA-&_sacat=0&_nkw=shovelhead+silcone+seals+&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0e,

Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

tmwmoose

The blue silicone seals are sold by good ole "Tedds V Twin"

Ohio HD

For what's it's worth, I never did find the silicon versions to seal all that well. They may have gotten better, it has been a long time since I used them, maybe back in the 90's.

a_disalvo

Did a search and found this site https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com/about/,  lots of stuff for old bikes!

HotRodShovel

Here is my cocktail and don't ask me how it happened, this is how Ive been doing it for the life of my build and never had problem.   Lifter blocks get the quad seals and everything else gets cork. 
Never a weep of oil out of my pushrods.   I do have some blue ones in my box of seals but can't remember where I got them from or ever using them.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dusty1

I too have used the silicone seals and was not impressed,i like the corks.make sure pushrods tube parts are clean and in good shape too (springs & keepers)

rkrcpa

Here is what I've always wondered. How do you know which ones are correct for your situation. In my case, I know what was in there originally and just keep on using the same thing. Are all Shovelhead pushrod covers the same and can use any of the various seals or are they specific to a certain type of seal?

in other words, if they originally had cork seals like my '73 can you arbitrarily switch to the blue silicone seals? The blue silicone are much thicker than the corks. What about orings? Quad seals?

HotRodShovel

Thats a good question, I think.think..the flanges at top and bottom of tubes differ from certain years hence quads vs cork.  During the birth of my FrankenShovel whatever didn't work, leak etc, got modified until it was good.  My combination of quads at the lifter blocks and corks everywhere else is a classic example of ......I've got no "Potty mouth"&ing idea but it works for me and I aint messing with it.....

I'll be watching for the correct answer..
John

Trouble

I use the longer pushrod clips that S&S makes for strokers with longer cylinders. Puts more pressure on the seals and they don't leak.  :beer:
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

HotRodShovel

yes, so did I.  They make a huge difference in tightening up the tubes.
John