March 28, 2024, 11:16:34 AM

News:

nite rod clutch replacement

Started by doubletrouble, July 10, 2018, 07:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubletrouble

Im replaceing the clutch in a friends nite rod with a barnett stock replacement unit. barnett does not offer any instructions and i have no serv. manual for this bike. After loading the steels and fibers in the outer shell and sliding the pressure plate in , it dosent seem that the pressure plate is making contact with the clutches , looks like about an eighth of an inch gap between them . looks like the pressure plate is bottoming out in the basket before it makes contact with the clutches. I have the inner basket race going in first as thats how it came out. Why would the pressure plate be bottoming out before it makes contact with the clutches ? Im doing something wrong here and would appreciate some guidance here. Ive replaced plenty of twin cam and evo clutches but this is my first v-rod clutch . Also... i have the damper springs on the pressure plate as i believe thats how it came apart. Both stacks measure out the same

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rigidthumper

Looks like there's a 1/2 plate on each end? It show two '1/2' plates and seven full plates; i believe it provides clearance for the damper spring and seat on one end, and the pressure plate on the other.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

doubletrouble

From the looks of that micro - thats exactly how im loading the fibres and steels in there . If im reading it correctly , i think that is for a 2014 , this bike im working on is a 2007 , there must be a difference because all the fibres and steels are exactly the same on this bike , the o.e. and the replacement. Just cant figure out what the hell im doing wrong ? When i pre assemble the clutch basket , everything installed in the basket , off the bike , theres a 1/8 in. gap between the clutch hub and the basket . Its like the hub is bottoming out before it can clamp down on the fibres and steels.

doubletrouble

Old timer once told me , Walk away , clear your head , come back and take another look . Damn good advise and it works. The problem was that the pressure plate wasent fully seated into the hub . Thanks rigidthumper for the help.

Panzer

Glad you got her assembled doubletrouble.
I'll remember that little hint about walking away.  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.