March 29, 2024, 06:44:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

STD heads, Specs

Started by Don D, August 15, 2018, 10:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

I have a set here for a valve job and seats
What is protrusion setting on these heads?

Ohio HD

I would suspect the same as OEM, as they should be intended for OEM valves, guides and springs.

Don D

Safe coil bind at stock and I have .435 lift

1FSTRK

Are they true Pan or are they the Pan with Shovelhead ports?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Hillside Motorcycle

STD only manufactured them with Shovelhead intake ports.
My 98" Pan runs VERY well with those.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

1FSTRK

jimlibo

Well I don't rely on internet links as the KEYBOARD NANCY'S do, only on the experience I have as a full time professional of 38+ years now and I started working on and using STD castings in '86 when Lou first released them. The original STD Pans ALL had Shovelhead port entry design as well as the Shovel style flanged exhaust mounting, improved with a larger flange and 3 bolt mounting. That's what Scott no doubt is referring to.
BUT in probably the late 90's Lou did alter the castings and machining to the stock Pan style entry and spigot style exhaust mounting for Ted out of Newburg ,you know who that is Scott! Lou specifically told me that in a phone conversation shortly after He started dong it. Sorry to the keyboard nancy's but I can't post a link to that. I'll assume that the "after" Lou Trachtenbergh STD has just picked up on it and offering to the general public now.
  I'll ad that I think it's really cheap and even shameful to try'n one up a long established professional in this field armed with nothing more than that little thermoplastic keyboard in front of you and a "link".
  To the original OP. The location of those spring pads relative to OEM could be anywhere. Most of them by default where .050" (was actually closer to .040) deeper than stock BUT you could order them from STD at any location that the limitations of castings woulds allow.

Don D

These are great heads. I looked them over and in comparison to stock castings the ports are much improved. Somebody got carried away with some Neway cutters and ruined the seats. I will get them dialed in. Fortunately they didn't cut the aluminum while sinking the seats so bad.
Jim I greatly appreciate the insight.

1FSTRK

Quote from: jimlibo on August 17, 2018, 10:58:48 AM
Well I don't rely on internet links as the KEYBOARD NANCY'S do, only on the experience I have as a full time professional of 38+ years now and I started working on and using STD castings in '86 when Lou first released them. The original STD Pans ALL had Shovelhead port entry design as well as the Shovel style flanged exhaust mounting, improved with a larger flange and 3 bolt mounting. That's what Scott no doubt is referring to.
BUT in probably the late 90's Lou did alter the castings and machining to the stock Pan style entry and spigot style exhaust mounting for Ted out of Newburg ,you know who that is Scott! Lou specifically told me that in a phone conversation shortly after He started dong it. Sorry to the keyboard nancy's but I can't post a link to that. I'll assume that the "after" Lou Trachtenbergh STD has just picked up on it and offering to the general public now.
  I'll ad that I think it's really cheap and even shameful to try'n one up a long established professional in this field armed with nothing more than that little thermoplastic keyboard in front of you and a "link".
  To the original OP. The location of those spring pads relative to OEM could be anywhere. Most of them by default where .050" (was actually closer to .040) deeper than stock BUT you could order them from STD at any location that the limitations of castings woulds allow.

So beyond all the drama I was correct and he was mistake. And you wonder why I add links to backup what I post when ever they are available. Can you imagine the back and forth I would have to go through to prove a statement without the links. I could have posted that I know personally of at least one set and waited for the attack from the egos.

I have seen your work, it is better than your attitude.

jimlibo

you've never seen my work. only a few of the results of which it was a part. Here's a pic for you.

1FSTRK

:hyst: :hyst:
But I have seen your work.
Lacking information or facts, go for the personal attack.

Yours truly
KEYBOARD NANCY
AKA Snowflake

jimlibo

"These are great heads. I looked them over and in comparison to stock castings the ports are much improved. Somebody got carried away with some Neway cutters and ruined the seats. I will get them dialed in. Fortunately they didn't cut the aluminum while sinking the seats so bad.
Jim I greatly appreciate the insight'"

Your welcome