May 02, 2024, 04:43:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Gimme the low down on what the Street Tuner can really do?

Started by DeneFLHR, August 25, 2018, 07:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeneFLHR

Last year my friend got the Stg 3 kit installed on his '17 Limited.
They charged him a lot for the install, plus $500 to decat his headpipe.
Now on his invoice they charged him 3 hours to do a comprehensive dyno tune with his Street Tuner they threw in when he bought the bike, (I know they have a (dyno).
No how much flexibility does that device have?
Why would one need to go to the PV like I paid a lot for because nobody would throw that in when I bought my bike?
Thanks guys!
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

rigidthumper

On VE:  +/- 4% closed loop area, +/- 10% open loop area
On timing: +/- 3° closed loop area, +/- 2-6° open loop area
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

DeneFLHR

I am uneducated in those terms so I assume those numbers don't change much?
Does it riches up the AFR by doing that?
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

1FSTRK

Quote from: DeneFLHR on August 25, 2018, 07:43:39 PM
Last year my friend got the Stg 3 kit installed on his '17 Limited.
They charged him a lot for the install, plus $500 to decat his headpipe.
Now on his invoice they charged him 3 hours to do a comprehensive dyno tune with his Street Tuner they threw in when he bought the bike, (I know they have a (dyno).
No how much flexibility does that device have?
Why would one need to go to the PV like I paid a lot for because nobody would throw that in when I bought my bike?
Thanks guys!

A few things come into play here.

With the new bikes that are stock or use SE kits the base Cals for the SE tuner are much better than in the past. If you stay with the entire HD kit the SE tuner will have enough adjustment range to get the fuel and timing into a safe riding AFR that will not hurt the engine if it is properly dyno tuned but many times I have seen the bike run smoother and make more power by just switching tuner brands and re-tuning. One tell tail sign is the dyno tune time, 3 hrs is ok if you only have a couple of adjustments that you can make. A Total tune with a quality tuner takes more time and costs more money because it does so much more than AFR, if you are really just trying to save money maybe leave the bike stock.

Lets be honest here we do not buy SE performance parts to get the bike to a safe AFR, we buy them for more performance.  To get the best tune and most performance from your ad on parts you want to tune all the areas not just the AFR and not always to the limits of the SE tuner. We seldom use the exact SE kit( your friend has a decatted pipe from the dealer and I doubt there is an HD base cal for that so he may be missing something right there), using different cams, mufflers, complete exhaust systems, or air cleaners will all require changes to the base cal and HD does not provide those so now you are starting the process with the wrong cal and trying to adjust that with a tuner that has a limited range of adjustment. Now throw in any different brand of parts ( I see your '15 FLHXS hasTW-222 cams) and you will find NO SE base cals because HD does not support or endorse the use of aftermarket parts. You will find you are outside of the range of the tuner and the base cal is not even close to where it needs to be in the non adjustable areas.

Things that are FREE are often worth exactly what you payed for them. If you purchase a quality tuner like TTS, PV, Direct link you can completely tune the bike to get all the performance out of any combination or brand of parts you have now or purchase and add in the future so it is not a waste of money it is an investment.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

DeneFLHR

Big thank you for the response.
I always thought that the device they gave him was totally unable to do anything on the dyno, and just an interface that the company would use to flash the appropriate map for his parts. I assumed it would take them ten minutes to upload map and they dinged him three hours dyno time.
One thing that is embarrassing for the dealer, is that when the bike got delivered, ( he is very sick and can't ride), we start it and it revs to about 2000rpm (guessing) and hangs there. Won't come down so you have to kill the motor. A quick call to the dealer and they say to cycle ignition on and off several times. That works and it then has normal fast idle charastistics. They say all hi perf motor's they build do that, normal. Yikes!
Maybe that is the issue of not an exact cal because of decat headpipe you speak of.
Thanks
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

HV

As the others were saying the Street Tuner is OK with Just SE only Parts ...we do a few Smart Tune runs after ( road runs to allow the 02s to sample the VEs ) ...then we blend the maps ...this works OK with as I said all SE Pars and as long as the Base Map is correct....adding Aftermarket Cams or Head Mods or even Big Pipes can make the Maps go out of tuning range and make it impossible to correct as needed
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

moose

I am surprised that the dealer would actually put on a repair order to decat the header.
Moose aka Glenn-

DeneFLHR

Quote from: moose on August 30, 2018, 06:04:42 AM
I am surprised that the dealer would actually put on a repair order to decat the header.
They are not a straight up dealer. I hate even driving by them but they are the only game on the island and say they ship pallets of stock headpipes off all the time to decat by a local welder.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"