May 01, 2024, 01:57:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starter

Started by dirtymike, August 29, 2018, 12:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymike

Removing the starter(1978 FXS). Haven't removed one while leaving the oil tank in.Is it possible or do need to drain the oil and remove oil tank.

guppymech

I'm pretty sure you can leave the oil tank alone. Remove the two starter through bolts and it should unplug from the reduction gear housing.  If you're going to remove the reduction housing and solenoid the oil tank will have to be removed.  I eliminated the electric starter on my bike a year and a half ago so I'm going by old guy memory. lol
'84 FXE, '02 883R

david lee

according to the manual the tank stays in.but i would take the battery and tray out

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: david lee on August 29, 2018, 02:44:56 PM
according to the manual the tank stays in.but i would take the battery and tray out

This ^
I don't remember if you HAVE to take the battery tray out but I do know it makes getting the starter out a helluva lot easier. The battery tray is an easy removal. The oil tank gets all tricky for me because I never remember how I did it the last time.   :hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

a_disalvo

Take the battery tray out, makes it a lot easier to get in and out. No need to remove oil tank. Frank

dirtymike

First time i took one out without removing the oil tank. So far all that in in the way is the clutch arm. Guess ill dig thtough the SM. Dirty

HotRodShovel

If you do remove the oil tank its a perfect time to flush it with kerosene.  What I did, got insane sludge out of it. 
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

dirtymike

got the starter out, now to get the Bendix off the shaft. Seems the nut will not come off easy. Any idea or tricks. Dirty

packrat56

It's left hand thread
I put mine in a vise, most of the time
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

dirtymike

that was the trick, thanks packrat56

packrat56

Glad to to help
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

dirtymike

Starter drive went. Know where there is a good one. Seems that the cheap china solenoid stayed engaged long enough to chew it up.

Burnout

I posted here a while back that I found a starter bendix gear that was very high quality, it came from Brazilian (Zen?) gear mfgr.

Keep your primary oil clean/changed, due to the design of the bendix any debris in the oil gets trapped inside the bendix and wrecks the one way clutch rollers.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dirtymike

I have the OEM oiling System.