May 04, 2024, 12:40:27 AM

News:

Cross threaded plug...I think

Started by Timber0472, September 10, 2018, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FSG

rbabos

Quote from: Timber0472 on September 18, 2018, 12:34:37 PM
yea...the threads are jacked...no hope. had to purchase new head. I talked to a tech and he said, "yea, one time i stripped one taking it out on the new ones..wtf?" Not a lot of meat there apparently. I put it in by hand and thought it felt "ok". Guess not. By the time I realized...too late. Thanks all.
Wonder if it was damaged at the factory with first install? Really shouldn't be an issue. Threads are threads normally. I bet there will be some leery of going near them now.
Ron

wfolarry

I've seen the same thing happen with the manual compression releases. If you break it loose & it's tight coming out your best bet is to stop & spray some penetrating oil in there & let it sit sometimes overnight. I use aerokroil. Breaks it loose & they will spin right out. Leaves the threads in the heads where they belong.

odotb

It happens. I had an 07 RG with a stripped oxygen sensor from the factory. I know it's not a spark plug, but I understand they stripped out a lot of them before it was caught. I had to get a new front pipe on my dime.