May 02, 2024, 03:25:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

'96 FXD trans

Started by BKACHE, October 01, 2018, 07:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKACHE

I have been having trouble for a few years now.
When cold in the morning it has trouble going into first gear - sounds like it will rachet a bit then engage.
Every so often it will pop out of first gear. Up shifts are fine but downshifts are getting harder and harder.
I need to feather the clutch and it will downshift. I did take off the top and replaced the drum and forks, thinking that might be the problem - no change at all.
Any suggestions?
Dan

Ironheadmike

did you adjust your prawl while you were in there ?

BKACHE

I am not sure what to do / what adjustments there are. Looks like I have some hours of reading the shop manual ahead of me.
Dan

Ironheadmike

It's easier with the top of the tranny off . Then you just center the drum pins between shifter prawl fingers . If I remember right you have to have it in third gear to do the adjustment .

hogpipes1

I would replace the top shifter shaft spring  sense your in there anyways . Bottom one is know to break , but inner pri cover needs to come off . Unless there some fancy tool out there .

BKACHE

I will look it up and 'read more about it' tonight.
I saw a YouTube that showed the pawl adj and stated 3rd gear.
All look doable. The tranny was redone - spring broke - at 83K.
Now at 216K I suspect an adjustment (hope it's all) should be expected.
May as well put a new belt on 80K on it, and for a while (12K) an Ultima 113" was stretching it. 
Too bad inner needs to come off - 3 beer job to a twelve pack.
Oh well it is supposed to be cold and rainy in Mpls this weekend.
Dan

Burnout

What about shifter linkage adjustment?
Make sure nothing is getting close on a downshift that might limit travel.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

BKACHE

The shifter linkage was a bit tight when the 113" was in it. Needed to have the case cleared a bit.
The ball end was loose - replaced w/ new chrome (ooohh chrome) one. Mid controls are very open and not binding. Since the upshifts work fine, it seems like the adj needs just a hair to the south of the bike. A bike shop owner said try to tighten up the adj nut "like you are mad at it". I suspect the few hours taking the covers off is a better plan. I tend to break things when I over do them. 
Dan

BKACHE

Took inner off to inspect and 'do' the pawl adj.
Not being a mechanic (computer programmer) I usually wait for trouble.
I took out the 'lite clutch' thingy that has been in there since 50K miles or so.
The pawl adj 'looked' the same before and after playing with it.
Back together and took on a test ride - no difference in shifting.
When I was ordering parts I did order $37 worth of friction disks.
So I replaced the frictions.
First no clunk going into first gear - the N light went out so I took off for a test ride.
Wow easy to find neutral at stops -a new thing for me.
So at 216K is where the frictions wear out for me.
Prolly would have done it at 150K if I knew it would have helped.
I will look for and put the stock spring plate in her since the stock 80" is in vs the 113" Ultima.
Just in time for the snow in Mpls this weekend.

Dan