April 18, 2024, 07:32:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

engine sprocket

Started by Snowyone, September 29, 2018, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowyone

So I'm close to the finish line with my 53FLE.  Giant cluster deal on getting my engine cases repaired but everything seems a go till I got to the primary.  The left case that was broken and repaired got a Timken bearing setup in place of the roller and a splined shaft was used also.  Now I find the sprocket sits about a 1/4" outboard of lining up with the transmission/clutch/sprocket end I can't locate an offset sprocket to correct this.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Ohio HD

Are you using the right outer spacer on the sprocket shaft? Also is the outer timken pressed all of the way on to the inner spacer?

Mule

You didn't say if you are running a solid sprocket or a compensating sprocket? If using a compensating sprocket there are different sprocket shaft extensions  and you could have the one with a thicker base which will off set the sprocket 1/4". If using a solid sprocket you might try this reversed.   https://secure.vulcanworks.net/store/Offset-Motor-Sprocket-1-4-25.html    Good luck!

xlfan

It sounds to me that wrong sprocket shaft has been used. 24001-56 is 3.51" long, and 24001-65 is 3.75" long. You might try a 1/4" offset transmission mounting plate, if you have room for 1/4" rear chain offset.

kd

KD

Snowyone

The bike and I are 4k apart right now but will take the info you all have given and try and figure it out.  I have a stock rear hub so spacing the tranny and rear hub isn't something I want to do.  Hopefully I can find an offset sprocket to fix me up.  I've found an 8mm belt drive that might give me the spacing I need and will let you all know the final fix.