May 06, 2024, 10:13:10 AM

News:

FXR transmission mod.

Started by flht1550, October 14, 2018, 05:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

have any of you FXR guy's ever attempted to machine the starter mount on a 1984 old style trans. case to accept the newer 91-94 starter. the outer shape of the mount looks the same just seems like someone must have considered this modification and tried it. I understand that both inner & outer primaries would also need to be changed. Thanks for any help you might have on this. Fixer's are something new to me and just trying to figure what I might need to look for in a future rebuild.

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 14, 2018, 05:46:49 PM
have any of you FXR guy's ever attempted to machine the starter mount on a 1984 old style trans. case to accept the newer 91-94 starter. the outer shape of the mount looks the same just seems like someone must have considered this modification and tried it. I understand that both inner & outer primaries would also need to be changed. Thanks for any help you might have on this. Fixer's are something new to me and just trying to figure what I might need to look for in a future rebuild.

I have done it, and know many others that have done it. I suspect that this mod will become more common as the popularity of the FXR increases and owners install engines with substantially more horsepower. That early style starter is weak at beast, and the early primary case is junk as well. This is a good update. Of course there will be those that will proclaim that their early tapered main shaft and early clutch is trouble free, etc, etc. Whatever. Update that FXR to a splined transmission with a modern clutch and starter. Life will be better.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flht1550

Turboprop, Thanks for your reply. When you machined your early trans case starter mount was it necessary to weld in the back side of mount for strength or was it fine just enlarging the starter hole and locating dowels. Is it pretty straight forward or does it require any special attention to one specific area. I have a FLHT trans. with a oil pan and was just planning to use it for a pattern and try and use the OE case and modify for the new starter. If that fails miserably I'll go to plan B and install the 1993 FLHT trans. and alter the rear mount.

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on October 15, 2018, 10:05:46 AM
Turboprop, Thanks for your reply. When you machined your early trans case starter mount was it necessary to weld in the back side of mount for strength or was it fine just enlarging the starter hole and locating dowels. Is it pretty straight forward or does it require any special attention to one specific area. I have a FLHT trans. with a oil pan and was just planning to use it for a pattern and try and use the OE case and modify for the new starter. If that fails miserably I'll go to plan B and install the 1993 FLHT trans. and alter the rear mount.

I welded the ones I did, but plenty of my buddies took short cuts and didnt. That FLH case will bolt in without the pan installed, no mods required. If the oil filter is currently under the transmission it will  have to be relocated, or the car will have to be machined back there. The machining process for the FXR case is pretty straightforward. While you have that case down, be sure to load test every threaded hole. Now would be a good time to put Time-Certs in where needed.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

farmall

I have done it, and know many others that have done it. I suspect that this mod will become more common as the popularity of the FXR increases and owners install engines with substantially more horsepower. That early style starter is weak at beast, and the early primary case is junk as well. This is a good update. Of course there will be those that will proclaim that their early tapered main shaft and early clutch is trouble free, etc, etc. Whatever. Update that FXR to a splined transmission with a modern clutch and starter. Life will be better.
Quoted for truth. The results are more than worth it. I used a bagger box with integral oil pan and modded the frame so I can remove the pan with transmission installed.