March 29, 2024, 05:15:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Pinion Shaft Timing

Started by dwjohnson, October 27, 2018, 07:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwjohnson

Hey guys, wondering if anyone might know how to check the pinion shaft to crankshaft timing?
I have a feeling that maybe my pinion has slipped a bit and was hoping to find a way to verify.
Engine is assembled, in the frame.  I have a degree wheel on the crank sprocket shaft. Would really like to know where the pinion shaft mark is supposed to be at frt cyl. TDC or either where the piston is when the pinion mark is at 12 o'clock, 
Crank is all S&S with splined shafts, so I know it's unlikely, but would love to know anyway so I could check.

I am in the process of reaching out to S&S also. Thanks

rigidthumper

They are keyed, so the oil passageways line up ( to feed the big end rollers)
Blow air through the pinion shaft- if you can hear the air coming out of the rod bearings, it has to be lined up.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

aswracing

Take note of the mark on the shaft and the mark on the pinion gear when you slide the gear on. Sorry if that seems obvious, but we once had an experienced engine-builder customer return a crank to us complaining that the timing was AFU on it, and he didn't realize the splined pinion shaft and gear each have a mark that need to be aligned to each other.