April 27, 2024, 09:57:14 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2004 dyna fouling rear plug

Started by anthonyflhx, November 22, 2018, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

That happens during troubleshooting, often other issues are found, maybe causing or contributing to the problem, maybe not, but need to be addressed either way. Once the problem was found, that leaking hose would have come into play anyway.
It often costs more than you would hope, sometimes it's a simple fix like a loose plug wire, sometimes it's a little more complicated like a new ecm.
Either way, you'll be up and running and having fun again.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

It is funny they would assume the leaky fuel line would fix it, it was flooding, not running lean! I would have told the owner I found a problem, but I doubt it is the cause of the plug fouling, but either way it needs to be fixed too.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

N-gin

Wasn't there an aftermarket company that did these pieces parts for cheap.. fuel smart?? Or  something. I believe FSG posted once.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

anthonyflhx

Got the bike back and am surprised there's no decel pop like before. It almost feels like the flash tune is a tad bit rich, but it's been colder than usual here and i wonder if that's helping any.
Pulled plugs and the tips look pretty clean. What do you guys think?

1FSTRK

Unless you are running the corresponding SE components the flash tune is no tune at all.
The flash changes the tune and it could be rich where it was lean or lean where it was rich or both but it does not necessarily match your combo any better than a stock tune would. 
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PoorUB

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 13, 2018, 04:10:17 PM
Unless you are running the corresponding SE components the flash tune is no tune at all.
The flash changes the tune and it could be rich where it was lean or lean where it was rich or both but it does not necessarily match your combo any better than a stock tune would.

Funny how that works. For example, I have CR570-2 cams, gutted head pipe and Fulsac recore kits in my 2016 Limited. Street tuned with a TTS. I decided I wanted the quiet mufflers so I put the stock muffs back on. Now I have a lean hesitation until the engine gets warmed up. One would assume that more restrictive mufflers would richen up the AFR, but it is leaning it out at low RPM. So yeah, flash tune?  :hyst:

anthonyflhx

1FSTRK

Quote from: anthonyflhx on December 13, 2018, 04:44:04 PM
So do the plugs look that bad?

I understand you spent a lot of money on this already but it is next to impossible to read plugs with today's EPA fuels and totally impossible to do it with an internet picture.

That said I can tell you that you need a tune.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

PoorUB

Quote from: anthonyflhx on December 13, 2018, 04:44:04 PM
So do the plugs look that bad?

I don't think anyone commented on the plugs, but they look a bit rich to me. Modern nolead fuel makes it tough to take a spark plug and get a good idea if it is rich or lean. If it seems to run well and get decent MPG and you are satisfied I wouldn't worry about it. If you want it to be correct you need to find a good dyno tuner and get a proper tune. Good dyno operators on this site have proven time and time again that you can tune a stock bike and gain HP and torque. Is it necessary? Only you can judge that. If you like to putter around and never ride the snot out of it you most likely will never appreciate a proper tune. There are millions if stock bikes out there with crappy factory tunes that the owners never do anything with them.

The comments were more against the flash tune which could be richer or leaner than the stock tune at various RPM and throttle positions. They may as well have left to tune stock.

Hossamania

December 13, 2018, 05:43:53 PM #84 Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:53:40 PM by Hossamania
The plugs obviously look better than they did, especially the rear.
But, as mentioned, a good tune will go a long way to getting it running right, and give you peace of mind that it is right.
Without monitoring the afr, how would you know if it is right or not?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.