April 24, 2024, 04:10:22 AM

News:

FXR 124" twin cam

Started by nosjunkie, November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:52:28 AM by Coyote
Starting with this... Found it under a persons deck being neglected... Motor may have been hurt.. it turned over.. With a breaker bar.. NOT easily.. Starter assembly was toast... Primary cover was off... I had been working on the Road Glide.. but now im distracted with this...

[attach=0,msg1268454]

[attach=1,msg1268454]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 12:16:37 PM #1 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:52:16 AM by Coyote
Plans are a 124" motor... 110 Heads... 640's, MK48,

[attach=0,msg1268457]

[attach=1,msg1268457]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Ohio HD

Great project.     :up:

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 12:36:00 PM #3 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:52:04 AM by Coyote
I got advise from one of the veteran people doing these as to the correct plan to do this without cutting the stock frame... I sourced this clean outer primary and a STD Inner.... Going to fill them with a solid front sprocket. Barnett Hyd clutch. Evo Ind Basket. Baker shoe... HD chain...

Thx Ed.......

[attach=0,msg1268463]

[attach=1,msg1268463]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 01:14:04 PM #4 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:51:49 AM by Coyote
Brown truck has been coming a lot lately... Trans and case halves sourced from flea bay..  Its amazing what 34 years have done on the kick stand location bracket.. Ill tig this up and grind it back to shape..

[attach=0,msg1268470]

[attach=1,msg1268470]

[attach=2,msg1268470]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 01:38:11 PM #5 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:51:34 AM by Coyote
Some more mock up.. Have a tight spot near one motor to trans bolt.. But Ill clearance the part on the mill and use a button head bolt at that spot.

[attach=0,msg1268474]

[attach=1,msg1268474]

[attach=2,msg1268474]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

jmorton10

I see you have a 1955 Chevy project car in the background. I had a 55 about 100 years ago when I was a mechanic in a chevy dealership.  I put a 482 cu.in. stroker rat motor in it and beat the hell out of it LOL.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Deye76

:up: Your doing it right, looking forward to your progress. If turboprop is giving you advice, it's golden. If not seek him out.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

What is your planned solution to the oil pan/crossmember issue?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 07:41:47 PM #9 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:51:19 AM by Coyote
Quote from: turboprop on November 25, 2018, 07:17:58 PM
What is your planned solution to the oil pan/crossmember issue?
I built a pan.....

[attach=0,msg1268555]

[attach=1,msg1268555]

[attach=2,msg1268555]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 07:45:36 PM #10 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:51:02 AM by Coyote
more pan..

[attach=0,msg1268556]

[attach=1,msg1268556]

[attach=2,msg1268556]

[attach=3,msg1268556]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 07:56:52 PM #11 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:42 AM by Coyote
Front end is going to use Sport bike forks and tubes, brakes and front wheel. Using Brocks trees with 3" extensions... Leaves it with 4.5" of trail. I found a different source for bolts with great prices.. I usually buy a complete set as Im to lazy to figure out all the needed sizes. I broke the forks down and had them stripped and the trees anodized black..

[attach=0,msg1268559]

[attach=1,msg1268559]

[attach=2,msg1268559]

[attach=3,msg1268559]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 08:04:37 PM #12 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:18 AM by Coyote
I calculated the area lost and made a decent attempt to get it all back with what I added.. Now I wish I would have added another .250 to the depth.. just cuz..I still need to add the drain plug.. baffles.. build the line for the pick up... ect...

[attach=0,msg1268561]

[attach=1,msg1268561]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Quote from: jmorton10 on November 25, 2018, 04:06:58 PM
I see you have a 1955 Chevy project car in the background. I had a 55 about 100 years ago when I was a mechanic in a chevy dealership.  I put a 482 cu.in. stroker rat motor in it and beat the hell out of it LOL.

~John
Thats a 55 Nomad that I put a C4 Corvette suspension under.. 450HP LS.. 4L80E.. SS Exhaust though the frame.. the goodies... Im distracted with this FXR right now.. Ive wanted one for a very long time....
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 08:16:44 PM #14 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:50:04 AM by Coyote
Heads came.. I found these off flea bay.. $400 bucks.... Ill get to porting these and raising the exhaust to help the short radius a bit... might flow them for giggles..  The clutch was a great deal at $250 of the same flea place..

[attach=0,msg1268564]

[attach=1,msg1268564]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

That front wheel is only being used for mock up.. or temporarily if I run low on funds.. It will be replaced with a lighter version.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

November 25, 2018, 08:47:21 PM #16 Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:49:36 AM by Coyote
Rear Swing Arm with spherical bearings... Using a 07 and up rear OEM caliper... Still need to decide on the rear wheel... until funds allow for lighter version..

[attach=0,msg1268568]

[attach=1,msg1268568]

[attach=2,msg1268568]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Your execution of the oil pan is fantastic. FWIW, I have three FXRs with 124" engines (2x TC and 1x Evo). Two of them have inverted forks (extended 3"). Could not be happier with them. I suspect yours will turn out very nice as well. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on November 25, 2018, 09:11:32 PM
Your execution of the oil pan is fantastic. FWIW, I have three FXRs with 124" engines (2x TC and 1x Evo). Two of them have inverted forks (extended 3"). Could not be happier with them. I suspect yours will turn out very nice as well. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Thank you.... Thank you for all the help answering my endless questions.. sometimes the same one... lol...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Will-Run

I envy your ability and talent. Thanks for sharing , and making me drool.  :up: :up:
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

calif phil

Fantastic craftsmanship, I can't wait to see the finished product.   Some picks of the 55/C4 would be fun to look at. 

Mick93

this bike will be a weapon..... and fun to ride when its done

nosjunkie

Here are some more of the pan.. I bolted it back to the trans to pressure check it. I made a plate to block of the filler spout location and plugged the holes. then cut it flat and had it powder coated.  [attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

The repair to the kickstand bracket... Welded up and ground to shape.
The pivot pin was worn so I made a new one from a recycled starter bolt.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Sand blasted the frame.. and gave it some paint. even put clear on it...
added some tabs for a filler plate where the oil bag used to live.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Reamed out the trans hole for the pivot bolt and added a bronze bushing.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Minor delay today.... which is common when you tear them this far apart.. I have the bearings for the neck but need the dust seal.. Got the fork oil in and the swing arm put back together since coating.
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

I love seeing FXR projects like this. Those transmission mods look great as does that arm from Joe.

Ohio HD

I appreciate your skills and your ideas. I think this will be a very fine bike when finished.

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 16, 2018, 08:02:48 PM
I love seeing FXR projects like this. Those transmission mods look great as does that arm from Joe.

Thanks again TP.... You were the source of the information I needed...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

klammer76

Very nice build. I'm impressed with and envious of your machining/welding skills.

peckerwood

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

Fabrication skills are fantastic. This is taking shape to be one of the nicest I've seen. Are the fork tubes (internal tubes) anodized? 

nosjunkie

Quote from: Deye76 on December 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
Fabrication skills are fantastic. This is taking shape to be one of the nicest I've seen. Are the fork tubes (internal tubes) anodized?
Thank you... They were black when I bought them... The fork tubes outters were gold... they were stripped and anodized black.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

1workinman

Quote from: nosjunkie on November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM
Starting with this... Found it under a persons deck being neglected... Motor may have been hurt.. it turned over.. With a breaker bar.. NOT easily.. Starter assembly was toast... Primary cover was off... I had been working on the Road Glide.. but now im distracted with this...

[attach=0,msg1268454]

[attach=1,msg1268454]
I was in Paris Tx Harley dealer today and they had a bike like that well the sales manager there said it as plenty fast . Looks like your doing a great job on the build

Jbco2

Project coming along NICELY!
Im watching it closely come together.
Welding on the the oil is nice, its not easy getting that bead on the contaminated alloy to looks as nice and hold, I used to do the this way before we started machining the out (Deviant Fabrications).
and thanks for choosing  our Eccentric Aluminum FXR Swingarm, the black makes it really standout.

HighLiner

Quote from: Jbco2 on December 18, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
Welding on the the oil is nice, its not easy getting that bead on the contaminated alloy to looks as nice and hold, I used to do the this way before we started machining the out (Deviant Fabrications).
and thanks for choosing  our Eccentric Aluminum FXR Swingarm, the black makes it really standout.

Is Deviant really out of Beirut?  Looks like some really cool products but how's the import process?

nosjunkie

Quote from: HighLiner on December 18, 2018, 06:07:39 AM
Quote from: Jbco2 on December 18, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
Thanks Joe.....

Is Deviant really out of Beirut?  Looks like some really cool products but how's the import process?

Yes they are... Import was easy.. It only took about a week to get the swingarm.. the only glitch in it was my CC company was weirded out and denied the charge until I contacted them..

They produce very nice stuff... I was going to buy a pan from them if the one I built didnt work out..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

IronButt70

Quote from: Deye76 on December 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
:agree: Looking forward to the finished product.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Alien

1FSTRK

Great project.
Thanks for posting and keep us updated.
:up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

klammer76

I like the bushings in the trans for the swingarm shaft  :up:

nosjunkie

I had to bore out the triple tree... I should have done it before anodizing but it came out fine..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

I spent a little time today breaking down the heads. Im going to do 2 sets one for this project and another for the RG. One set had cast iron guides in them, not sure if thats oem or not.... and of course one broke during removal.. That set will need some oversize bronze guides. The seat to valve size on the intake seems like a mistake from HD.. there is no room to cut a radius.. but the seat has plenty of room for a bigger valve...

LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:15:14 PM
I had to bore out the triple tree... I should have done it before anodizing but it came out fine..
[attach=0,msg1273185]  [attach=1,msg1273185]  [attach=2,msg1273185]  [attach=3,msg1273185]

Those look like the trees and extensions that Brock sells. I saw them a few years ago at the T-Twin Expo. Looked like they were really well thought out. I think mounting a Harley style front fender can be somewhat of a challenge with that fork. The sport bike fender will bolt on, that's what I did with two of my FXRs. Which front fender are you planning on using?

nosjunkie

Those look like the trees and extensions that Brock sells. I saw them a few years ago at the T-Twin Expo. Looked like they were really well thought out. I think mounting a Harley style front fender can be somewhat of a challenge with that fork. The sport bike fender will bolt on, that's what I did with two of my FXRs. Which front fender are you planning on using?
[/quote]
They are trees and extensions from Brocks.... I followed your recommendation on using them.. (See I listen a little)... I will more than likely build a fender using a HD take off and chop it up and build brackets.. and if I dont like it Ill buy a sport bike front fender..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

pwmorris

Looks great so far-
A great plan, well executed, and the many details addressed makes all the difference, and is what separates a nice build from truely a bad ass build....as it looks like this one is going to be-

turboprop

Having built a few inverted forks that were used on FXRs, I have to say I really like this stuff from Brock's. Very easy, clean, inexpensive, dont have to use 'Dropped' trees, maintains the rubber bushings for the risers, etc. These trees and extensions from Brocks are less than $1k total and would have saved me a lot of work, time and money. I am seeing more and more FXR's being built with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, killer brakes and TC124 engines. Fun times in the FXR community for sure, but sort of anxious for the crowd to move on to something else and start selling these bikes for pennies on the dollar.

nosjunkie

Quote from: pwmorris on December 24, 2018, 07:40:49 AM
Looks great so far-
A great plan, well executed, and the many details addressed makes all the difference, and is what separates a nice build from truely a bad ass build....as it looks like this one is going to be-
Thank you.... The plan was properly laid out with the help of Turboprop.. Im just following it as close as I can... His bikes as well as yours were the inspiration for this build...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 07:59:12 AM
Having built a few inverted forks that were used on FXRs, I have to say I really like this stuff from Brock's. Very easy, clean, inexpensive, dont have to use 'Dropped' trees, maintains the rubber bushings for the risers, etc. These trees and extensions from Brocks are less than $1k total and would have saved me a lot of work, time and money. I am seeing more and more FXR's being built with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, killer brakes and TC124 engines. Fun times in the FXR community for sure, but sort of anxious for the crowd to move on to something else and start selling these bikes for pennies on the dollar.
The stuff from Brocks is nice.. The trees, forks, extensions and anodizing was about $1250. Using the trees with the 1.7" offset will require finding the correct front axle, my donor is short...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 08:58:53 AM
The stuff from Brocks is nice.. The trees, forks, extensions and anodizing was about $1250. Using the trees with the 1.7" offset will require finding the correct front axle, my donor is short...

OK, you lost me here, I dont understand how the offset in the tree can affect the front axle.

For reference, my inverted forks use the same tube spacing as the donor, GSXR-1000 trees. That fork uses a 25mm axle. As luck would have it, the rotor spacing on a harley, sealed bearing narrow glide hub is the same as the GSXR front wheel. I simply used the GSXR front axle, changed the bearings/spacer tube in the harley hub and made new axle spacers. Was pretty simple actually.

So that you know, there are titanium axles available off the shelf for these forks. When I do the BST wheels, a titanium axle will go in the front at the same time.

turboprop

OK, you lost me here, I dont understand how the offset in the tree can affect the front axle.

For reference, my inverted forks use the same tube spacing as the donor, GSXR-1000 trees. That fork uses a 25mm axle. As luck would have it, the rotor spacing on a harley, sealed bearing narrow glide hub is the same as the GSXR front wheel. I simply used the GSXR front axle, changed the bearings/spacer tube in the harley hub and made new axle spacers. Was pretty simple actually.

So that you know, there are titanium axles available off the shelf for these forks. When I do the BST wheels, a titanium axle will go in the front at the same time.

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 10:01:18 AM

The 1.7 offset only comes in a 214mm spacing.. I held the GSXR tree up next to the Brocks and they are narrower.. I just have not measured how much yet.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Put the 25mm bearings in the rear wheel.... I guess the 25mm bearing is quite a bit narrower... and they dont make a wider version... Ill need to dig into this further. I really like the added width..  [attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Shoreglide

I believe I've got the same trees from Brock's due to the 1.7 offset. They are spaced at 214mm(Hayabusa spread) versus 207mm(GSXR spread). Planning to use the Hayabusa axle for mine, but a titanium axle would be sweet.

ecir50

brock sells a 21mm wide 25mm version bearing.

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 10:16:17 AM

The 1.7 offset only comes in a 214mm spacing.. I held the GSXR tree up next to the Brocks and they are narrower.. I just have not measured how much yet.

That is going to affect the alignment of the rotors to the calipers. With the 207mm spacing the rotors on a narrow glide hub align perfectly with the calipers. I did not know the trees from Brock's had different spacing depending on the offset.
What is the offset on the Brocks trees with the 207mm spacing?

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 10:16:17 AM

That is going to affect the alignment of the rotors to the calipers. With the 207mm spacing the rotors on a narrow glide hub align perfectly with the calipers. I did not know the trees from Brock's had different spacing depending on the offset.
What is the offset on the Brocks trees with the 207mm spacing?
I figured that.. Ill need to source or build spacers...
2.375" offset for the 207mm
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Shoreglide

Brock's used to offer 1.7" or 2.375" offset in 207 and 214mm spacing. They  narrowed down the choices in the last year or so.

nosjunkie

The bracket for the foot rest has enough room now.... looks like a bike again....
[attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

FSG

You going to install studs?

nosjunkie

Quote from: FSG on December 25, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

I hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

FSG

QuoteI hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?

I always fit studs as a preventative maintenance measure, just see it as a lost opportunity not to do so.

sfmichael

looks like it's coming right along  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 25, 2018, 03:43:37 PM
Quote from: FSG on December 25, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

I hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?

Some (Many) member there believe that the two doweled bolt holes are weaker because they do not have the same length of threads inside the engine casting. The twin cam crowd is 'different'.

wfolarry

I'm one of them. They're the holes I always see stripped out. Studs fix that.

turboprop

wfolarry

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:26:39 PM
I spent a little time today breaking down the heads. Im going to do 2 sets one for this project and another for the RG. One set had cast iron guides in them, not sure if thats oem or not.... and of course one broke during removal.. That set will need some oversize bronze guides. The seat to valve size on the intake seems like a mistake from HD.. there is no room to cut a radius.. but the seat has plenty of room for a bigger valve...

[attach=3,msg1273186]

You should push your guides out from the top. you stand a better chance of not buggering up the hole.

nosjunkie

Quote from: wfolarry on December 26, 2018, 02:57:50 AM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:26:39 PM

[attach=3,msg1273186]

You should push your guides out from the top. you stand a better chance of not buggering up the hole.
I pushed them out Opposite the direction you install them.. Probably should have just cut it out.. the others came out without a fuss.. not that one though...   Larry do you mean push them through the port... going the SAME direction they were installed? was the cast iron guide OEM?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

wfolarry

dynabagger

Nice project. Thanks for sharing.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Deye76

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 16, 2018, 06:48:21 PM
[attach=0,msg1272120]  [attach=1,msg1272120]

Does the bushing go the entire length?

nosjunkie

Quote from: Deye76 on December 30, 2018, 12:08:46 PM

Yes...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

That full-length bushing in the trans looks like a really nice upgrade. I have seen so many FXR transmissions that had seized pivot shafts and had to have the shaft beat out of the case. Often times buggering up the hole. Even the cases that had shafts that slid out without force will typically have pivot holes that are out of spec. This is good.

nosjunkie

Trying to get back working on the FXR... Life gets in the way sometimes...

Made a torque plate so I can hone the cylinders for the CP pistons.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

klammer76

Glad to see you back. Enjoy watching your build.

nosjunkie

Made a plate to hold the cases..... Then bored them for the 124 cylinders.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Spot face the case half for the center through bolt.
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Deye76

koko3052

I enjoy watching what you do, having the equipment is nice. :SM:
When I spot faced mine I built a mill to cut for an o-ring to seal the thru bolt. :wink:

Mattbastard

I am loving this build thread.  :up:

nosjunkie

Got the DarkHorse crank and some 2.1" valves for the heads.. Im going to take the cases in to let them do the timken conversion.. I dont own the jig..
[attach=0]  [attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

ecir50

nice seeing the motor build thanks for sharing.

nosjunkie

Got the bottom end almost done... Not sure if Ill run this cover.. Its kind of neat to be able to see the gears and plate... If I do it will get anodized or Powder coated. Might have to send the heads out as the Serdi is not cooperating...
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

klammer76

Glad to see the progress.

motolocopat

MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

nosjunkie

Got the motor buttoned up.. back on track with it.... the HPI stuff is so very nice... [attach=0]  [attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

koko3052

misfitJason

2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

Deye76

D-1

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 04:45:52 PM
Put the 25mm bearings in the rear wheel.... I guess the 25mm bearing is quite a bit narrower... and they dont make a wider version... Ill need to dig into this further. I really like the added width..  [attach=0,msg1273292]

3205-2RS is a wider (same as 3/4 and 1" bearings) 25mm bearing to fit harley wheels. That is a NSK bearing, other brands might be 5205?

nosjunkie

I made it a little harder on myself with the triple trees.. I should have used the 207mm spacing in hindsight... it would have been easier to find a front wheel. I was going to run CF. but have a hard time with the price.. and the look is only ok IMO.. So I bought a custom built front wheel.. using an aluminum rim it only weighs 10lbs 14 oz. 

Andrei was a great guy to deal with.. had my order placed in about 10 min and it was at my door the next week..

Andrei Rybkin
HD Wheels Corporation
21352 Nordhoff St, Suite 114
Chatsworth, CA 91311

Phone: (818) 887-9065

Fax: (818) 887-9076

E-mail: andrei@hdwheels.com

Web Site: www.hdwheels.com

Wheel is a 17" 3.5 rim with 139mm brake rotor spacing and 25mm bearings
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

NOSJunkey, I know that you know, but for everyone else, an oem harley narrow glide hub with sealed bearings is the correct width for use with a 207mm spaced inverted fork.  Rotors with zero offset will align perfectly with the calipers on a 207mm spaced fork.

1workinman

Really nice work , I enjoy seeing the result thanks for posting it here

Armin

Incredibly great job, looking forward to the final picture and your report!

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Nastytls

Quote from: nosjunkie on October 13, 2019, 07:43:45 AM
I made it a little harder on myself with the triple trees.. I should have used the 207mm spacing in hindsight... it would have been easier to find a front wheel. I was going to run CF. but have a hard time with the price.. and the look is only ok IMO.. So I bought a custom built front wheel.. using an aluminum rim it only weighs 10lbs 14 oz. 

Andrei was a great guy to deal with.. had my order placed in about 10 min and it was at my door the next week..

Andrei Rybkin
HD Wheels Corporation
Chatsworth, CA 91311

[attach=0,msg1318857]

Out of curiosity, did you have them seal it for tubeless application? I'd be curious to see how it works out for you if you did.

nosjunkie

Quote from: Nastytls on October 16, 2019, 04:33:12 AM
Quote from: nosjunkie on October 13, 2019, 07:43:45 AM

Andrei Rybkin
HD Wheels Corporation
Chatsworth, CA 91311

[attach=0,msg1318857]

Out of curiosity, did you have them seal it for tubeless application? I'd be curious to see how it works out for you if you did.

I did not. it will run a tube.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

RaceTech got my shocks to me.. only about 2 weeks from order to my door.
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Got some rotors and skins for the rims....
[attach=0]
[attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Motor is in the hole... Its on like Donkey Kong now... lol..
[attach=0]
[attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Tank is from a 02 road king I think... Im going to split it down the middle and take about 3/4 of an inch out of the width... them do some other mods to it...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Deye76

ALL the good stuff going into this. What's wrong with the cast front wheel (mounted)? Looks wise, I think it's more than acceptable.

nosjunkie

Quote from: Deye76 on October 25, 2019, 04:36:57 AM
ALL the good stuff going into this. What's wrong with the cast front wheel (mounted)? Looks wise, I think it's more than acceptable.

It doesnt match the rear... LOL... the rotor spacing was for a 207mm fork center. I am using the 214mm. so it would require spacers... I couldnt find any.. and didnt feel like making them for a wheel I didnt really like.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

farmall

October 30, 2019, 08:02:30 PM #105 Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:31:28 PM by FSG
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 30, 2018, 01:18:37 PM

Yes...

What outside diameter was the reamer and do you have a bushing part number or dimensions if you turned your own?

nosjunkie

The reamer was 7/8" and the bushings were obviously 7/8"x 3/4" it took two of them.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

klammer76

Quote from: farmall on October 30, 2019, 08:02:30 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 30, 2018, 01:18:37 PM

Yes...

What outside diameter was the reamer and do you have a bushing part number or dimensions if you turned your own?
Beautiful work. Just put in third set of swing arm bearings in my 2002 FLH. Always amazed how much lay is in the swing arm axle going through the trans. I thought a bronze bushing would be a great answer.

nosjunkie

I know its been quite a while since I posted... I took some time off and built a house...

But Im back to see it through...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Got the solid sprocket and fine tooth adjuster with the clutch done.. I bought the clutch off ebay for a deal but it was for a hyd setup.. So I had to make a threaded bushing for the center..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Got the primary cover all buttoned up with ARP hardware. Still have a few bolts to source.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

The rear master is the earlier style.. This area was tight and took some thinking/planning.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

The front wheel turned out very nice.. a bit spendy but the quality is amazing...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

The exhaust I choose was Bassani.. It seems like a nice piece.. I took the end cap and had it Hard anodized to make it look different. I also like that it is not a low hanging pipe.... I doubt you could rub it in a turn..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

The head were done by WFO Larry... they got ported new valves and springs.. Head bolts and studs are from Fueling (ARP repacked) Rocker boxes got ARP hardware.. The Mikuni 48mm got freshened up and jetted for the big motor. I took TPs jetting for a starting point and will use a Innovate LRM2 to tune it..

and if you are wondering BITW is the group of brothers I belong to.. Brothers In The Wind..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Rear wheel was sourced from another model harley.. Its a 17" so I can get good tires.. I choose the sprocket over a belt because Im trying to run a 160 rear tire..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Deye76

Very nice work. Yeah many good choices for rear tires it seems are 17".

koko3052

I haven't seen a swingarm/ axle adjuster like that, who's the builder of it? How does it "lock up"? Looks neat & cool.👍

rigidthumper

Quote from: koko3052 on May 28, 2022, 10:01:55 AMI haven't seen a swingarm/ axle adjuster like that, who's the builder of it? How does it "lock up"? Looks neat & cool.👍
Post 16 shows it was made by Deviant Fabrications
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

nosjunkie

Quote from: koko3052 on May 28, 2022, 10:01:55 AMI haven't seen a swingarm/ axle adjuster like that, who's the builder of it? How does it "lock up"? Looks neat & cool.👍

Its a Deviant Fabrication arm. The round eccentric gets pinched in the housing. The end piece is billet so its plenty strong..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..