April 27, 2024, 10:58:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shifter Pawl Sleeve Question

Started by lqqk_out, June 01, 2022, 10:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lqqk_out

How does one determine when it's time to replace the shifter pawl sleeve? I have a slight leak in my 2011 Ultra. I'm guessing it's my shifter shaft seal based on past experience, but I will investigate further. I recently replaced all the seals with my drive belt about 12,000 miles ago. Bike started leaving its mark when parked about a week ago. I'm thinking maybe there is too much play in the shifter pawl causing the seal to wear out prematurely. The bike has almost 178,000 miles.

I'm thinking I should replace the sleeve (and shifter pawl) as a general maintenance item. Are these shifter pawl sleeves a fairly common wear item? I've already replaced the bushings in the inner primary for the gear shift assembly a couple of times.
2011 FLHTCUI, 1993 FLSTF
2014 Aspen Sentry, 2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

rigidthumper

I have found doubling up on seals sometimes helps, but if/when those start to leak, they get a new sleeve. Jims has a tool (5517 )which makes that job easier on six speeds.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Rusticwater

June 02, 2022, 07:10:41 AM #2 Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:21:58 AM by Rusticwater
Some good info in this thread here.

It contains info about double seals, the bushing, correct seating depth, etc.

Also check out Service Bulletin M1296A (TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES) which covers 6 speed transmissions up to the 2013 model year. Chances are you might be adding too much transmission fluid in spite of what your manual says.
Support the Maine lobster industry

fleetmechanic

I recently had to replace my first shift pawl lever on a 6 speed due to worn splines on the outside.
The Jim's tool really made the job easy.

lqqk_out

Quote from: Rusticwater on June 02, 2022, 07:10:41 AMSome good info in this thread here.

It contains info about double seals, the bushing, correct seating depth, etc.

Also check out Service Bulletin M1296A (TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT CHECKING AND FILLING PROCEDURES) which covers 6 speed transmissions up to the 2013 model year. Chances are you might be adding too much transmission fluid in spite of what your manual says.
Thank you for the information! I searched and read that thread before I posted my question. I did NOT know about the change in the transmission fluid level check. I always followed the procedure in the manual which stated to check with the dipstick resting on the threads. I'll now use the new procedure with the dipstick screwed in.
2011 FLHTCUI, 1993 FLSTF
2014 Aspen Sentry, 2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Deye76

"I'll now use the new procedure with the dipstick screwed in."

:up: Harley transmissions IME are sensitive to over filling. And over the years the procedure has changed from sitting level to on the side stand. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP