May 02, 2024, 07:48:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

oil pump questions

Started by Langwilliams, December 16, 2018, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langwilliams

I'm going to be doing cams in my 2014 street glide before riding season....bike has 41K on it....I'm happy with the oil pressure..I watched the factory oil pressure  screen an saw solid pressure when hot at idle an when cruising....good pressure while cold as well...I'm wondering if I should just leave the pump on the plate when I pull it...I did that on my slim but it only had 7K on it when I did those cams. also if I leave it on can I just bolt the plate back on without the torque sequence on the pump while turning the motor over since it was never removed. I did that with my slim as well an didn't have a problem. Am I wrong for thinking if it's working well leave it alone? also any reason to pop in one of those higher pressure relief springs? Thanks.

Langwilliams

I found the sticky on the spring an it looks like a no go on the newer cam plate.

koko3052

Hossamania

With 41k on it, I'd be pulling it to inspect  it. It's pretty easy to line it back up on install.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

No Cents

Quote from: Hossamania on December 17, 2018, 04:25:17 AM
With 41k on it, I'd be pulling it to inspect  it. It's pretty easy to line it back up on install.

:agree:  100%
With 41K on the clock it deserves a peek see at the pump internals.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

koko3052

41K & changing cams + cam bearings + lifters =Total Job Done! :up:
I know the tensioners will catch your eye for inspection.

Langwilliams

yes I have new lifters, cam bearings an tension pads (fueling)

FSG

QuoteI'm wondering if I should just leave the pump on the plate when I pull it...

No, NEVER do that, always take the pump off the plate and inspect it