April 27, 2024, 11:54:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pan removal

Started by Pop-pop2, December 13, 2018, 07:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pop-pop2

I have a 2003 roadking. The book indicates I need to remove  the rear wheel for access,  to remove the oil pan. Can this be done, without removing the wheel. I don't have a lift table, or a jack. :banghead:

Ohio HD

You need to pull the wheel off to get the pan out.

Coyote

Ohio HD

And you don't need a lift to pull the motor.     :unsure:

PoorUB

I did this job a few years ago without a jack or lift table. I had a wheel chock and I screwed it to a 2x6. I rolled the front wheel into the chock and ran straps to a couple eye screws I put into the 2x6. this held the bike up right. I pulled one rear upper shock mount bolt at a time and attached a chain from one side to the other. I had a chain hoist that I attached to the ceiling and to the chain across the shock mounts. I then winched the rear tire off the floor, removed the wheel and tire, then pulled the pan. You can block up the swing arm for a bit of safety.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pop-pop2

Thanks for all the info. I now have a plan.

smoserx1

The method PoorUB is describing is pretty much what my service manual says.  I would go ahead and get a lift...one of the best things I ever bought.  I got one of those cheap Sam's Club lifts years ago and am still using it.  Anybody remember them? You will probably need to remove some of the oil pan fasteners before using the lift as the lift (at least mine) blocks access to some of them.  Good Luck.