April 26, 2024, 11:15:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oily mess with Arlen Ness "Big Sucker?"

Started by codyshop, September 04, 2018, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

800 miles from new with absolute perfection (2018 SG.)   Now, Vance & Hines Power Duals, HO slip-ons, Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" and PowerVision canned tune.   Bike runs absolutely fantastic but is misting all over the rear header, side panel, saddlebag.  Ideas, gents?  Thanks. 

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

klammer76

Have read on HDF about others having same issues with the SE air cleaners also.

Hunter14

Too much oil.......Clean up the mess, And take out about a half qt...The oil level should be just half way on the stick...
If you don't wave to them, They wont wave back to you...

hd06

I put a catch can on my M8 best thing I put on that bike. Not just oil but all that condition that's collects in the oil.

codyshop

Quote from: Hunter14 on September 05, 2018, 06:23:16 AM
Too much oil.......Clean up the mess, And take out about a half qt...The oil level should be just half way on the stick...
That did it, thanks.   Did the 1K service today and put 1/2 quart under owner's manual capacity and it stopped.   

319fatboy

How much oil did you put in it?  The owners manual says 4 quarts?  I put 4 quarts in mine and it shows more than 1/2 quart low on the stick.

hd06

There are two readings on your dipstick make you read the correct one.

codyshop

Quote from: hd06 on September 06, 2018, 12:25:03 PM
There are two readings on your dipstick make you read the correct one.
Upright range and kickstand range...both with stick screwed in.   Manual (oil cooled) says 5 quarts (4.5 twin cooled) so put in 4.5 for oil cooled and misting stopped. 

319fatboy

Ok. I put in four at first and it was at the second dot from the bottom on the jiffy stand marks. Added more to get up to half way on the marks and it seems good to go

Vision

I had the same issue with my Arlen Ness Big sucker on my 2018 RGS,  but it wasn't  simply because of that air breather.  I also had too much oil put in by Harley.   I ended up changing the filter and cover design but had an independent tech install  an external breather bypass with a check valve & catch can,  which remedied the spewing of oil along with stopping the extra oil from making it to the crank case prior to the mod.

bigfoot5x

When I first started working on our Harley's I had a similar problem occasionally. Then I realized the issue was putting too much spray on oil on the filter. After I started putting less oil on the filter, the problem disappeared and both our Harley's are run with a full level of oil.

Smarty

I would check for sumping when you change the oil. Read the dipstick before draining, then after that remove the sump plug. I had almost 10 ounces in my sump. For now the S&S cam plate and oil pump fixed it. No spray at all. I'm still working on removing the umbrella valves and using after market PCV valve on external venting.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

hdmanillac

Due to oil mess with Arlen Ness Big Sucker, I replaced it with a V&H VO2. Breathers are much more efficient on the VO2.

My trousers and the bike are always clean now. Very happy with the VO2.

:up:
2017 FLHR + 2019 FXLR + 2007 XL1200R

The easiest way to eliminate oil drooling out the breather hoses and dripping down on the air cleaner, which eventually blows out all over the cam chest, rear exhaust pipe and eventually the right side saddlebag is to simply not fill the oil past the sixth or seventh dot up from the bottom on the dip stick WHEN THE ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, not cold. The dipstick has ten dots and if you do as the manual says and fill to the top dot you will likely experience some excess blow by especially in hot weather and high speed runs. Oh ya, check it on the jiffy stand.