April 28, 2024, 06:23:50 AM

News:

2003 Fatboy Rear Belt Sprocket

Started by scootertrash1, January 09, 2019, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertrash1

Got a 2003 Fatboy TC88. Have the wheels off to install new tires and brake pads. While the wheels are off, I noted inside rail of belt sprocket pulled away from sprocket. I don't see any screws or tabs that fasten the unit down. I don't really see where any welds or adhesive used to hold the rail down. I just removed it by hand. Is it hosed and need new or can be fixed? I used C clamps and tapped into place. Don't know if it'll stay or not.
Any help would be appreciated!

Hybredhog

The factory used a staking method to hold it on, you can probably see stamped areas around the tooth rim. Probably caught a rock or something on the side of the belt forcing it off. If its not to bent & will fit back on the rim edge, you could re-stake it with something similar to the shape of previous stakes, and have a friend hold it down while you work.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

scootertrash1

Thanks for the answer so quickly.
I used rags as not to scar the outer surface of the sprocket and used 4 c clamps to put it back in place. I note the staking. Do you think JB Weld or some other type of adhesive be used?

Billy

FWIW, I had the same thing happen a few years ago, I used bolt cutters and cut the ring in 2 places, simply removing it, been problem free ever since.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

scootertrash1

Billy, I am inclined do this. I don't even half to cut it. I can (and have) remove in it one piece. As long as the belt is tensioned to spec and wheel lined up correctly it wouldn't be a problem.

jls 64

js

Billy

Quote from: scootertrash1 on January 10, 2019, 07:39:32 AM
Billy, I am inclined do this. I don't even half to cut it. I can (and have) remove in it one piece. As long as the belt is tensioned to spec and wheel lined up correctly it wouldn't be a problem.

Since you have the wheel off :up:

Mine came off while riding, heard something dinging around, stopped to check it out, wasn't far from home, cut it off when I got there, took all of a minute, easy peasy  :beer:

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Hybredhog

Not saying that total removal won't work, but belts have memory on directions. It'd probably be fine if all you did was go forward, but if you'd notice on most bikes if you were to roll the bike backwards, the belt might drift to the opposite side in longer distances, it could roll off the inside. Just saying...... Having that inside rim would let me sleep at night.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Armin

Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

scootertrash1

I appreciate everyone's responses to this issue. What I ended up doing was C clamp the rail down and tap ring back into place. Drilled 4 holes in a crisscross fashion in the pulley itself and used #6 self tapping screws. There was plenty of screw head there to hold the ring in place. A drop of Lok Tite on the threads and getting ready to put it back together, though I may add yet 4 more self tapping screws. I did price a new rear pulley at the local Hog Farm at $300. I will try to get by on my "screwed up" unit for now!   

koko3052

As long as the profile on the sprocket is good....run it! :up: