bad noises from somewhere, sounds like primary chain?

Started by Mick93, December 23, 2018, 01:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick93

A few weeks ago my 09 dyna developed a fairly unusual noise, it sounds like it is coming from the primary, and it sounds very much like the primary chain was loose... other than this the bike has been perfect

I pulled the cover and could not find anything out of the ordinary, chain was tight (but not overly tight), and everything else appeared normal....

however, the chain did seems to have quite a bit of sideways movement, the kind that would suggest it was worn out, the bike has just over 30K miles on it from new so I wasn't expecting a worn out chain already but i suspect this is the source of the noise?

anyone else had an issue similar to this?

thanks in advance

kd

How about describing the sound and what you have to do to make it happen. Is it like a knock?  It could be the comp sprocket.  Could you see any deep wear on the spokes?
KD

No Cents

December 23, 2018, 03:45:56 PM #2 Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:50:52 PM by No Cents
  it could be the clutch bearing or the main drive bearing too if the noise sounds like a bunch of rocks grinding.  :nix:
While you have the primary open...pull the spark plugs out and get the rear tire off the ground and put it in 6th gear. Roll the tire around and see if you can hear anything.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Mick93

it kind of sounds like something rubbing against the chain but not like a knocking noise, my hearing is not real good so that makes it harder to identify....
I cant see anything that would cause the noise, I will take the plugs out and turn it over.... see if that will identify the noise

PoorUB

Does it make the noise, in gear, standing still with the clutch lever pulled in?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jls 64

It could be the ipb..
Oem 2009 compensator?
Oem 2009 primary chain tensioner.
Update both of then.
js

Mick93

Quote from: PoorUB on December 24, 2018, 07:11:09 AM
Does it make the noise, in gear, standing still with the clutch lever pulled in?

when the motor is running, nothing else changes it....

Mick93

update on this issue, I have pulled the primary cover off and had a reasonable look, nothing out of order and nothing that could potentially cause issues.

put it all back together again and wanted to see if the noise was still noticeable, and yep still there....

however, I am leaning more towards maybe bad lifters? its hard for me to hear but the noise is definitely still there...

koko3052

Get a  stethoscope or a short length of small diameter pipe to listen thru to try to pin point where the noise is from.

Mick93

Yep, good idea, thats what I need to do, try isolate the source

Harley Pilot

Are not the 09's amongst the years with the clutch hubs with desinagrating splines?

wfowill

Chased a noise (thud vibration) on a Dyna earlier this year. Ended up being rear master cyl hitting exhaust bracket. Something worth checking.

[attach=0]

No Cents

can you post a video of your bike running so we can hear the noise your chasing?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Mick93

Quote from: No Cents on January 06, 2019, 04:06:27 PM
  can you post a video of your bike running so we can hear the noise your chasing?

I could try take a video when I get time that is...

Boe Cole

Last weekend i took my 11 RGU for a ride and started hearing noises coming from the cam chest.  In the process of tearing everything down, I found that it was some loose screws in the aftermarket air cleaner!!!!  Since I was in the cam chest, I went ahead and confirmed all was ok but my point is that I should have spent more time checking for something loose befor going to the thought that the engine was going to blow up because something came loose or broke in the cam chest!!! :banghead:
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

N-gin

Does it go away with clutch engagement?
IPB is my guess, but what you should do is dig a lil deeper. Lots of great folk on here willing to help if you got questions. Or don't know how to put back.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind