May 01, 2024, 01:29:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110 drop on cylinders and KB pistons.

Started by BVHOG, December 30, 2018, 08:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

I have two bikes here right now for drop on 110 kits, I have been going back and forth between using the S&S or the MoCo setup. Cost is not going to be the deciding factor. Ideally I would like to use SE cylinders and KB pistons, has anyone done this?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

TorQuePimp

Yes
Have to cut the cylinder to zero
About .006-.007
Hone to fit

1FSTRK

Quote from: TorQuePimp on December 30, 2018, 01:03:22 PM
Yes
About .006-.007
Hone to fit

Great info, thanks for sharing it here.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

wfolarry

It can't be that simple if the first response got removed. There must be a secret recipe.  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

kd

KD

Yes
About .006-.007
Hone to fit

Are they special rings designed to accommodate the internals of these cylinders?  What do you find typically the S&S need to be cut for zero deck?

TorQuePimp

Quote from: 838 on December 31, 2018, 12:54:06 PM
Yes
About .006-.007
Hone to fit

Are they special rings designed to accommodate the internals of these cylinders?  What do you find typically the S&S need to be cut for zero deck?
I use the rings that come with the KB pistons..... Hastings brand I believe
They aren't the latest greatest double throwdown high dollar rings
But they seat quick and last......as long as anything else....imo

S&s cylinders

The old ones I did not cut.....torque build with a rs587......027 gasket

New ones I think I took about .005-.006

Adam76

Quote from: BVHOG on December 30, 2018, 08:16:25 AM
I have two bikes here right now for drop on 110 kits, I have been going back and forth between using the S&S or the MoCo setup. Cost is not going to be the deciding factor. Ideally I would like to use SE cylinders and KB pistons, has anyone done this?
Great info, especially for those going down the drop in big bore route...

Just curious why not use the comp,ete S&S 110 cylinder and piston kit?  Or the comp,ete moco kit?  Are they no good?
Thanks

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Adam76 on December 31, 2018, 04:35:19 PM
Quote from: BVHOG on December 30, 2018, 08:16:25 AM

Just curious why not use the comp,ete S&S 110 cylinder and piston kit?  Or the comp,ete moco kit?  Are they no good?
Thanks

Options/cost

Tail Ridr

Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

rigidthumper

January 01, 2019, 05:51:50 AM #10 Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:57:58 AM by rigidthumper
Mahle makes the 110 production stuff, and anything SE that has the grafle coating. Arias used to make the early SE slugs. Rumors of Wiseco production have never been verified.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Quote from: Adam76 on December 31, 2018, 04:35:19 PM

Thanks

The hd kit comes with flat top pistons, the S&S have a very, very small dome... these work fine for most of our builds.

But say I (for example) was looking to hit 11.6:1 compression with my stock head castings and a high tdc lift cam... can't cut my heads to get there, i'll Run in to valve train issues... or let's go the other way I bought a set of super stock s$s heads for a 117" down the road... these have 89cc chambers and I don't want to cut them for my 110" build... with flat tops I can only achieve certain compressions with the 89cc chambers... Options..

If it's cost... usually I'd say somebody already has the cylinders (or a lead on a good deal...) or same with the pistons... try and find the other needed part (at a lower cost)
to make your own kit..

Don D

The KB std pistons are .001 OS to allow a light hone.

I already wrote about this.
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=103416.0

I have saved some with .005 OS KB pistons as well.
The Line2line coating adds a bit of versatility too.

Keep in mind the spigots are ~.035" thin on the 110 cylinders and hardened steel

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 01, 2019, 09:16:33 AM

Keep in mind the spigots are ~.035" thin on the 110 cylinders and hardened steel
👍👍  Great info.

BVHOG

The line to line coating is my main reason for wanting to use the KB pistons. That and they are tough to beat for price and quality.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

turboprop

Quote from: BVHOG on January 01, 2019, 06:54:32 PM

The line to line coating is my main reason for wanting to use the KB pistons. That and they are tough to beat for price and quality.

Couldn't you simply send the S&S or SE pistons that will come with the cylinders to Line2Line to be coated?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Don D

Yes but you don't have the choice of domes and the KB pistons are $200/pr. Harley sells the cylinders separately very reasonably too.