May 01, 2024, 04:11:15 AM

News:

Fork surface scratches

Started by HighLiner, December 13, 2018, 06:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighLiner

Currently have the front end apart and I have a fork seal that looks like it might of been leaking, not wet but some crud built up like when dirt sticks to oil.  Looking at the tube itself, there are some linear scratches but they don't catch a fingernail.  Should I replace them or run 'em?

Panzer

If you think one is bad, replace both while you have it apart....just my .02.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

barny7655

you will find the rotor side fluid will be a different colour than other side ,even though the same fluid put in them both , id replace both sides and a good fork oil ,cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Maddo Snr

Dismantle the forks and re-linish the tubes with strips of Al-O2 paper. 800 grit works fine. Try to get a fine finish 90 degrees to the tube and clean thoroughly before re-assembling.

Replace the seals with NOK or SKF seals only, the rest are awful (especially All Balls). Use seal grease under both the oil seal and dust wiper. Grease all sides of the seal before seating them.

Don't overfill the fork oil load, that'll pop seals every time.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

HighLiner

What kind of grease is recommended?

04 SE Deuce

Buzzys Slick Honey or Slickoleum is what a lot of the pros use....both names are same product made in the same place.

I'd use OEM Showa seals and clean the tubes up.

rbabos

Quote from: HighLiner on December 14, 2018, 05:48:44 AM
What kind of grease is recommended?
The only place you need grease is the seal OD and the area where the seal sits in the leg. This eases the press in with the seal driver so it doesn't damage the outside sealing surface of the seal. Fork oil on the lips and tube on assembly is all that's needed. Basically any grease, as it's only used sparingly, so no risk of mixing with the fork oil.
Ron

Maddo Snr

2018 FLHX 107

Maddo Snr

December 14, 2018, 11:16:52 AM #8 Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:07:38 PM by Maddo Snr
Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on December 14, 2018, 06:29:31 AM...I'd use OEM Showa seals and clean the tubes up.

OEM Showa seals are NOK Rick. About 1/3 of the price as a NOK seal rather than a HD OEM part though...

p.s. Using fork oil to pre-lube dust and oil seals simply sets up the very same conditions of failure that a leaking seal does...if this technique was used on a USD supercross fork it'd leak after 1/2 lap. RSU forks with 4" of travel and 38mm stanchions, poor technique matters little.

Using seal grease totally removes the void under the seal lips where crud collects and starts the seal on the way to failure. Ohlins make seal grease for a reason...
2018 FLHX 107

04 SE Deuce

Fact:  The boys at Ohlins USA use Buzzys Slick Honey...good enough for me.  :wink:

https://buzzysusa.com/#slick-honey

Slickoleum,  same product, made same place.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on December 15, 2018, 01:03:28 PM
Fact:  The boys at Ohlins USA use Buzzys Slick Honey...good enough for me.  :wink:

https://buzzysusa.com/#slick-honey

Slickoleum,  same product, made same place.

Gee, that's a good ad Rick! They can use their own product free off the shelf and they still buy in something else. I'll look into that product. I'm never too stuck on a product to try something new.

The best I've ever used was Simons seal grease. Dunno what happened to Simons Suspension, they had some great gear.

Cheers, Pete.
2018 FLHX 107