May 03, 2024, 12:01:49 PM

News:

ECM replacement process?

Started by jjdalynh, May 30, 2019, 07:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjdalynh

I want to put in a newer ECM to my 2003.  (which is running open-loop 105 cal).  if I get a -05 (or even -11) replacement ECM, what do I have to do to make it work?  I presume I need to have HD flash it for the VIN, etc but I want the later cal (127 or 176) for testing purposes (I'm interested in seeing if there's any 'invisible' differences in the cals that might help with running better). 

I have a 11:1 107" that the ECM thinks is pinging, but it's not and doesn't matter whether i'm running race fuel and retarded timing or 93 octane and more advanced timing.  I've tried colder plugs, different plug gaps, etc. to no avail.   some research indicates that later calibrations may be more relaxed in it's knock detection for higher compression builds which is why i'm asking....

I have a dyno and have been monitoring my AFRs and know that my VEs are pretty spot on in the areas that it's pinging and the timing is pretty relaxed there as well.   retarding the timing is making the engine way hot and it's only May.

wolf_59

May 30, 2019, 10:01:31 AM #1 Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 10:27:24 AM by wolf_59
Pretty sure it has been done but I believe it took a new wiring harness
What tuning device are you using? and does it give you the ability to either turn off knock control or at least lower the setting to the very minimal
On my 04 Fatboy with TTS tuner I just had to replace the ECM with an 05 ECM and have it married and I wired in the O2 sensors also

edit http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=52633.msg553170#msg553170 this is the one I was thinking about but it ended up being an MM system

jjdalynh

that's what i'm wondering..... I know that TTS specs that you can plug and play 2004-2006 with the -05 ECM, but the Harley parts diagrams show that the ECM replacement for all older ones is now the -11, so I can't imaging that the wiring harness needs to change much (if at all).

86fxwg

Quote from: jjdalynh on May 30, 2019, 10:44:36 AM
that's what i'm wondering..... I know that TTS specs that you can plug and play 2004-2006 with the -05 ECM, but the Harley parts diagrams show that the ECM replacement for all older ones is now the -11, so I can't imaging that the wiring harness needs to change much (if at all).

I believe I did what ur trying to do to an 05 Softail! Bought color coded O2 wires, installed bungs,o2 sensor & pin connector's for ecm. I believe my tuner just turned them on with the TTS.
So order an 05 ECM & have it married!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

jjdalynh

it's not a mystery that this works on 2004-2006 models without closed loop, in order to enable CL tuning. 

*my* bike is a 2003, however.   i'm not really interested in the CL operation at the moment, it's more of an experiment to see if the later cals deal with the ion-sense knock detection a little differently, which may help me be able to keep KR at bay with this build.

wolf_59

If you're not wanting CL operation then it should work
from my experience on my 04 I didn't have any issues with using the PZ176 calibration after setting up the tuning constants for the bike 95" HTCC set at 11.3 with S&S 510 cams to get my ccp up to 180 here at 6000' elevation with max kpa of 83
However on my 06 Ultra and a friends 06 softail I tried numerous cals before finding one that worked close enough to start tuning and required a lot of IAC tuning to get them to idle correctly
I don't have any experience with a 03 but it leads you to think that if you can flash a 176 tune into a 04-06 bike with a -05 ecm then you should be able to flash one into a -11 ecm

jjdalynh

Quote from: wolf_59 on May 31, 2019, 08:24:05 AM
If you're not wanting CL operation then it should work
from my experience on my 04 I didn't have any issues with using the PZ176 calibration after setting up the tuning constants for the bike 95" HTCC set at 11.3 with S&S 510 cams to get my ccp up to 180 here at 6000' elevation with max kpa of 83
However on my 06 Ultra and a friends 06 softail I tried numerous cals before finding one that worked close enough to start tuning and required a lot of IAC tuning to get them to idle correctly
I don't have any experience with a 03 but it leads you to think that if you can flash a 176 tune into a 04-06 bike with a -05 ecm then you should be able to flash one into a -11 ecm

geesuz, have you ever ridden that down at sea-level?  it's like 224psi down here!  mine's down a bit from that, 210psi.

i'm gonna give a late ECM a shot and see what I can do. 

does HD require you to turn in the original ECM in order to flash a new ECM with the correct VIN?    I guess i'm wondering what kind of a pain it'd be to get an ebay ECM and a tune license for whatever VIN is in it and have it work with the TSSM so I can make sure what i'm trying to do actually works vs getting a late ECM reflashed by HD and going from there....