May 05, 2024, 02:59:36 PM

News:

Best Grip Glue?

Started by djl, December 19, 2018, 07:24:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on December 20, 2018, 05:08:31 AM
Grips are definitely a personal choice. I like the stock rubber grips, and I have the small Comfort grips on the King. A friend really likes a type with the small "bumps" or nubs on them, so I gave them a try. I couldn't stand them, they made my hands tingle and hurt within a couple miles, they lasted one day.
The Nostalgia grips seemed pretty comfortable on a friend's bike.
I have small hands, so grip choice is something I pay attention to.
[/guote]

I take it back, the grips I have are called Contour grips, by HD. I believe they have two sizes, I use small for my dainty hands.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mrmike

I don't use glue, the made for HD grips are held in place by the switch housings, I've never had any issue with them moving or twisting, presently I have a set of Avon's on now.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Hossamania

Quote from: mrmike on December 20, 2018, 02:58:14 PM
I don't use glue, the made for HD grips are held in place by the switch housings, I've never had any issue with them moving or twisting, presently I have a set of Avon's on now.

Mike

The op has to trim that off to make room for a Pingel shifter.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mrmike

Ah ha!

Nothing to see here. Carry on.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

ecir50

screw the downshift function and wire the upshift to the horn button. Some air shifter kits do it this way with a harness that has a toggle switch to utilize the horn if needed. There you go problem solved.

PoorUB

Quote from: ecir50 on December 20, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
screw the downshift function and wire the upshift to the horn button. Some air shifter kits do it this way with a harness that has a toggle switch to utilize the horn if needed. There you go problem solved.

Not if it is Canbus!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

djl

Quote from: ecir50screw the downshift function and wire the upshift to the horn button. Some air shifter kits do it this way with a harness that has a toggle switch to utilize the horn if needed. There you go problem solved.

Didn't follow that but I will follow the Pingel instructions; thanks anyway. :wink:

ecir50

Quote from: PoorUB on December 20, 2018, 05:05:19 PM
Quote from: ecir50 on December 20, 2018, 04:20:00 PM

Not if it is Canbus!

His bike is a '05.

ecir50

Quote from: djl on December 20, 2018, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: ecir50screw the downshift function and wire the upshift to the horn button. Some air shifter kits do it this way with a harness that has a toggle switch to utilize the horn if needed. There you go problem solved.

Didn't follow that but I will follow the Pingel instructions; thanks anyway. :wink:

Not much to follow its just a switch, just put one on my bike you are going to love it. Bought mine used it came with auto shift and shift minder so that was a plus although haven't hooked that up yet.

Breeze

When I put my Kury ISO grips on the FLHT, I used some SS tape on the bar ends. Just one longitudinal strip, and then some isopropyl alcohol in the grip to slide it on. They are quite tight, but I think they could be worked off without damage. I do still have the ridge intact that clamps under the perch.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Horizonmech

"See ya round....if ya don't turn oblong"

76shuvlinoff

You guys having issues with glue, are you scuffing the bar up a little and cleaning with alcohol first? Brake Kleen probably works too, just make sure it's good and dry before the glue goes on.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

jls 64

js

djl

Well, I am going to have to glue the grip on; the E6000 looks to be a decent solution.

When I pulled the grip, I discovered/remembered that the aftermarket (Ness) bars are 1.25" with 1" bar ends so clutch perch, bar switch housing and the Pingle control take up enough room that I will have about 1/2" of empty grip.  The Aileron grip slides on and off easily so I used Breeze's suggestion of a couple of wraps of SS tape to get the grip to fit snugly and the E6000 should seal the deal. :up:

Almost done with the Pingel install; just working on it in my spare time. The biggest challenge has been finding space in the softail batter box for the modules and wires.  Mocking all that up to fit snugly with decent cable management has been time consuming but that's done now and the cylinder mounted. Day after Christmas I will put the tank back on, connect the battery and test.