Dynojet in 96 1200 sporty

Started by popelli, December 17, 2018, 12:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popelli

have just bought a 96 sporty

its an 883 bored out to 1200

has a cv carb on it, and feels flat

had a cv on a panhead a few years ago, cured it by replacing it with a mikuni

this may or may not be the easy option however some people swear by the cv and get good results from it

have heard about dyno jet kits but they seem bloody expensive for what they are

are there other options  ie change the needle and the jets to get similar results

Hossamania

Make sure your CV is in good condition. While running with the air cleaner off, make sure the slide snaps up when you twist the throttle quickly, if not, it may have a hole or is pinched. With the engine off, make sure the throttle is opening all the way to the stop.
Your timing may be off on the ignition. Check for proper plugs, good plug wires, may need to do a compression check to make sure the motor is healthy.
You should probably go into the carb to check for proper jets, no gum conditions, proper needle.
What kind of air cleaner is on it? Is it clean?
What kind of exhaust?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

popelli

thanks for the reply

aircleaner is screaming eagle

exhausts are about to be changed for norton commando peashooters (made with 1.75" inlets so they fit headers), they are straight through and should sound better than what is currently on bike, should also liberate a bit more power, hence looking at jetting etc to rejet carb anyway

PC_Hater

You almost certainly don't need a Dynojet kit.
Make sure everything about the CV is OK and take it from there.
Probably needs a main jet and/or needle change.
The 40mm CV tails off at 90BHP and will just about allow 100BHP. You are probably a fair way from that!
No need for the Mikuni until you start throwing serious money at it to get serious power.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

J.Kinkade

Hi well , sorry this is a slow reply but just noticed your post.
check pilot jet I think about 45 to 46 pj if smaller now try to get that size, with main jet need to know what needle carb has, you often see a 883 to 1200 conversion  that has a non stock needle , check main jet if about 170 , 180. if you want good gas milage. Bobby Woods k1 needle helps.
good luck. I use a CV on my 88" build

Hilly13

I ran a 45 and a 190 in my 96 1200S with a Yost power tube, stock mufflers with the plug knocked out, dynoed about 68hp from memory, the CV is plenty big enough, what cams are in it?
Just because its said don't make it so

popelli

Hilly13

Andrews cams, grinds N4 or N8 well tuned with a good exhaust and intake will make it feel less flat, you might be happy with stock cams when you get it sorted out.
Just because its said don't make it so

Hillside Motorcycle

That CV carb, jetted correctly will feed everything that street 1200 will require.
Dynojet kit is not needed.
Razor-sharp throttle response is an easy task with that.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"