March 29, 2024, 03:28:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Thoughts on throttle body for a 124

Started by 08flstf, December 18, 2018, 07:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

08flstf

Am considering a bolt on 124 kit for my M8. Looking at S&S and T-man. Was wondering what some of you thought about the difference in the Screamin Eagle 64mm vs the HPI 62mm. I think it's about $200 more give or take for the HPI. Just wondering what some of you with more experience than me thought about the two different throttle bodies. Also with the different 124 kits, interested in your thoughts on the benefits of the thicker oil rings offered on some kits vs others. I don't mind spending a little more if there is a noticeable difference but I don't want to spend more just for the sake of saying I spent more.

yobtaf103

Just watched T-man 124 cyl video on his FB, longer cyl liner for piston stability at bottom of stroke !

BigT

The SE throttle body seems to support at least 150hp but needs the manifold ported. Use the $200 savings and send it to Ward Performance. The attached picture is an un-ported manifold.

jbroski

jbroski

same day t body testing hpi vs se with ward manifold on a 117 from last year, used same one on a 124 and 137

08flstf

1FSTRK

Quote from: jbroski on December 19, 2018, 08:23:37 AM
same day t body testing hpi vs se with ward manifold on a 117 from last year, used same one on a 124 and 137

Excellent post, info and data.
Thanks for posting
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

HD/Wrench

THAT is what I like to see .  Nice gains back to back testing  :up: :up:

schamberin5150

What heads were on this motor?

MakoHD

jbroski

Quote from: schamberin5150 on February 16, 2019, 09:21:31 PM

What heads were on this motor?

stock valve ward cnc ported, stock castings

08flstf

Well I procrastinated long enough and started my 124. Ended up going with the S&S 124 kit and the SE 64 tb and sent it to Ward Performance to have the intake ported. Sticking with stock heads and the S&S 475 I already had, and switching to a D&D billetcat. Going to get it tuned Thursday.

yobtaf103

Quote from: 08flstf on April 09, 2019, 07:46:48 PM
Well I procrastinated long enough and started my 124. Ended up going with the S&S 124 kit and the SE 64 tb and sent it to Ward Performance to have the intake ported. Sticking with stock heads and the S&S 475 I already had, and switching to a D&D billetcat. Going to get it tuned Thursday.

:pop:

Vision

08flstf

Tuned in at 136/140 and then I broke 3rd gear on my first ride. Have to get trans fixed/replaced then I can give an assessment on how she runs.

To The Max

Hi Guys , i have a 124 with 475 cam.  thinking of putting a  se 65 m throttle body would getting ward to port the manifold or just go with the stock se manifold. any advice would be handy. Max

Sunny Jim

My 5 cents worth - if you are not changing Cam profile, porting the heads etc , the gains are minimal and they are probably all at the horsepower end.
Waste of $$$$
Check out he dyno sheets

To The Max

Was looking for the difference between s e and the ward version but I think you right on my build it might not be worth it . Max

Don D

I have seen a big mismatch with the SE manifold at the head opening.

To The Max

What manifold is to larger or smaller or just out of alignment? Thanks Max

Deye76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 07, 2021, 05:47:53 AM
I have seen a big mismatch with the SE manifold at the head opening.
Oh great, now I find out. Is it any better the plastic one?  :embarrassed:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Don D

It is just something to check. This may not be chronic. I have one now that will be getting welded to match the SE CNC head opening. About 1/8" off on one side.

HogMike

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 08, 2021, 07:54:18 AM
It is just something to check. This may not be chronic. I have one now that will be getting welded to match the SE CNC head opening. About 1/8" off on one side.

Mine matched up very nicely but, not cnc heads, just stock.
Like you say just another check as you go.
Maybe the plastic one is fine, but the SE is much nicer.
JMHO
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 08flstf on December 18, 2018, 07:18:29 PM
Am considering a bolt on 124 kit for my M8. Looking at S&S and T-man. Was wondering what some of you thought about the difference in the Screamin Eagle 64mm vs the HPI 62mm. I think it's about $200 more give or take for the HPI. Just wondering what some of you with more experience than me thought about the two different throttle bodies. Also with the different 124 kits, interested in your thoughts on the benefits of the thicker oil rings offered on some kits vs others. I don't mind spending a little more if there is a noticeable difference but I don't want to spend more just for the sake of saying I spent more.

With the almost unavailability of the HD 64's currently which we normally use to help keep costs down, we have now been sending the cores to HPI's Indianapolis location for their 62mm units.
We've seen great results with both.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"