May 06, 2024, 08:41:48 PM

News:

Died and won’t start

Started by ss126, December 26, 2018, 10:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ss126

I have a 2008 flhx that died while I was riding with no prior symptoms. I have spark, compression, checked injectors, changed crank sensor, Pressured cylinders and show no leaks. Tried swapping computers nothing shows bad. Could timing have jumped? I dont know what else to check before tearing into the cams. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rigidthumper

Possible loss of fuel. To test, push up (& hold)  on the fuel rail connector, at the tank, with your left hand,  it should move up about 1/16-1/8".  Next,  turn on key. Wait a couple seconds for pump to pressurize, & try starting the bike. If it starts and runs, but dies after releasing the connector, replace the check valve. If this doesn't help, test for proper fuel pressure.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ss126

I pulled the injectors and stuck them in a manifold outside of the bike and cranked it and the injectors are spraying fuel good. Does your test still show something that that doesn't?

rigidthumper

That would show flow, but not pressure.  Should have 58-62 PSI @ the connector. Since you have spark, and compression, and do not say it's abnormal, the cam timing must be OK.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

roadkingdresser

wifes 2011 r-king done the same thing. fuel pressure regulator was bad.
roadkingdresser

chaos901

QuotePossible loss of fuel. To test, push up (& hold)  on the fuel rail connector, at the tank, with your left hand,  it should move up about 1/16-1/8".  Next,  turn on key. Wait a couple seconds for pump to pressurize, & try starting the bike. If it starts and runs, but dies after releasing the connector, replace the check valve. If this doesn't help, test for proper fuel pressure.

This is good to know, have to file this one away for future reference.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

ss126

Thank you for the ideas on stuff to check but I pulled the pushrod covers and found the rear exhaust lifter not moving. Turns out my cheap ultima rocker broke...

PoorUB

It looks like it is getting  fuel, but i would put some gas in a squeeze bottle, and while cranking give it a squirt. If it fires, just about  has to be fuel related.

You checked compression,  what were the numbers?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

motorhogman

Quote from: ss126 on December 26, 2018, 11:51:14 AM
Thank you for the ideas on stuff to check but I pulled the pushrod covers and found the rear exhaust lifter not moving. Turns out my cheap ultima rocker broke...

Just curios..how does that stop the engine from running..I would think it would run on 1 cyl.   Also I would think your compression #s would be out of whack on that cyl ??

Also wondering how a broken rocker stops the lifter from moving..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

PoorUB

Quote from: motorhogman on December 26, 2018, 03:28:35 PM

Just curios..how does that stop the engine from running..I would think it would run on 1 cyl.   Also I would think your compression #s would be out of whack on that cyl ??

The ECM looks at engine rotation speed and looks for the rotation to slow down on compression. My bet is the ECM got mixed signals as to the timing and was firing the spark plugs and/or injectors at the wrong time.

As for the broken rocker and the lifter not moving, my bet is he just responded and missed the proper names of parts. The lifter is certainly moving, but the rocker may not be, depending on where it broke.

I also find it funny that he checked compression and that didn't show up then. I would expect the compression for the one cylinder to be a bit off.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

fbn ent

ss126....can you please elaborate on this.  :scratch:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ss126

Quote from: PoorUB on December 26, 2018, 04:40:29 PM
Quote from: motorhogman on December 26, 2018, 03:28:35 PM

The ECM looks at engine rotation speed and looks for the rotation to slow down on compression. My bet is the ECM got mixed signals as to the timing and was firing the spark plugs and/or injectors at the wrong time.

As for the broken rocker and the lifter not moving, my bet is he just responded and missed the proper names of parts. The lifter is certainly moving, but the rocker may not be, depending on where it broke.

I also find it funny that he checked compression and that didn't show up then. I would expect the compression for the one cylinder to be a bit off.

the lifter was not moving because there was no downward pressure on it. the cam pushed it up and with no downward pressure it wont contact the cam to move up and down.

as for the compression showing good it was pushing the air back out the intake valve since the exhaust rocker was the one that broke.

nosjunkie

I hope you going to change all 4 of them now...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

ss126

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 27, 2018, 06:29:23 AM

Yeah I'm going to get s&s

koko3052

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 27, 2018, 06:29:23 AM

Why would you change all four? Don't hear of this happening very often. It's a crap shoot....you may just get four bad ones! :wink:

calif phil