May 03, 2024, 01:44:55 PM

News:

Heated Grip Control knob switch

Started by David Barnby, March 17, 2019, 04:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Barnby

Anybody manage to refit the knob successfully?  Going through a crazy saga.  Broke one of the wires on the throttle side and found a good value replacement .on eBay.  Is a different style to the left and managed to find a matching left also on EBay.  However, the left arrived with the control knob not fitted, just loose in the box.

Ready to blow my own head off after killing two hours trying to work out how it installs.  It goes on neatly in one position only; where the detent stops it from rotating. I see how the half moon parts line up and how the knob has protrusions the mate with slots in the housing but the only way it goes together is in the position where the arrow points at the blank spot between the numbers and of course will not rotate

If anyone has been there and done that please share.  Is driving me nuts

fleetmechanic

March 17, 2019, 06:14:54 PM #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:45:32 PM by fleetmechanic
We have one of the all black plastic style on a 2014 Road King FLHP that got knocked off in a fall and I was able to reinstall the dial and get it to lock.  The half moon shaped stem on the inner end of the grip needs to line up with the matching half moon shaped socket on the inside of the dial and then it snapped on with the metal clip that's inside the dial. The outer edge of the grip also has 2 notched recesses that have to allow the cap to get all the way on.  The thing is "timed".

David Barnby

Quote from: fleetmechanic on March 17, 2019, 06:14:54 PM
We have one of the all black plastic style on a 2014 Road King FLHP that got knocked off in a fall and I was able to reinstall the dial and get it to lock.  The half moon shaped stem on the inner end of the grip needs to line up with the matching half moon shaped socket on the inside of the dial and then it snapped on with the metal clip that's inside the dial. The outer edge of the grip also has 2 notched recesses that have to allow the cap to get all the way on.  The thing is "timed".

Thanks for helping out - learnt a lot playing with it. Your "The thing is timed" was the magic ingredient.

Anyhow, in case anyone else has the problem and finds this by searching here is the solution:

The outer edge of the grip (that has the marker arrow) with the bayonet locking slots that will let you put the knob on and mate the half moons but in the only position the knob is locked from turning, is actually a separate locking ring. On the underside of the grip is an 1/8" hole. Stick a screwdriver in there and carefully lever off the ring. Use a pair of long nose pliers to turn the control shaft to fully on (anti clockwise). Assemble the knob with its male bayonet edges mating with the ring. Put the knob and ring half on with number six in front of the arrow.  Then use heel of hand to push the whole thing on.

Job done.

Well almost. Coz this mech always feels a bit notchy and not Harley like in the way it rotates.  So I took it off again. Layer of silicon grease on the moving parts and a scoop inside to protect against moisture, quick ("expert" now) reassemble and the knob rotates like a slinky solid Rolex watch mech.

Good luck anyone on the same path...