May 03, 2024, 09:09:29 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

new speedo not syncing

Started by tenorhog, March 14, 2019, 05:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenorhog

2005 softail springer

Just bought Harley analog speedo/tack.  It's not syncing and just saying NO Cal
Ive replaced this in my 08 Dyna with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks,

Ben

Rusticwater

There are multiple models of HD combo speedo/tachs. What's the part number you have?
Support the Maine lobster industry

tenorhog

70900070B Combination Analog Speedo/Tach

Thanks, BB

Rusticwater

Nice looking gauge. Just to be clear, this is a brand new unit that hasn't been used in any other bike?

tenorhog

Yes Brand new Bought at HD.

BB

rigidthumper

New unit, plugged into the data link port, original speedo still plugged in, run/stop switch in run position, turn key on. What happens?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tenorhog

New unit says No Cal with oil light on, oil light goes off in 10-20 seconds, unit still reads No Cal

BB

Rusticwater

Did you follow the installation instructions here? Refer to the "Copy Odometer Data" section and see the note about NO CAL.

tenorhog

Yes I did, and it still says No Cal

Thanks, BB

Rusticwater

What happens if you try the copying process again? Does it go through the whole countdown ON THE DISPLAY again? Are you getting the final CHECK and OK displayed?

[attach=0]

Remember the copying process is done with the engine off. Pull your headlight fuse to save some wear on your battery.

tenorhog

thanks for the help. No I am not getting anything other then, NO Cal.

Scotty

Stock ECM or Ignition module?
The copy process won't work with most aftermarket modules.

hattitude

Do the speedo instructions say it's compatible with your year bike.....???

I ask because I seem to remember there were like 3 different series of speedos for the twin cam, prior to the advent of the canbus systems. As the EFI/ECM computers changed, you could get different info from the LCD odometer screens, requiring changes to the speedos... As a new style speedo was made, it was NOT reverse compatible....

I found this out when I wanted to get a new speedometer style (HD Speedo/Tach) for my '03 EFI Heritage about 10 years ago. At the time, there was nothing from the MoCo that would be compatible with my '03. The speedos being offered would only fit the bikes with O2 sensors and their ECMs.  I  believe your '05 is the same series as my '03, pre- O2 sensor.

I checked again last year, due to having a faded speedo dial on an '01 Springer I recently bought, and there were no MoCo speedos that were compatible for that year either.... Only newer bikes.

After searching for a speedo for the Heritage, I knew what years were compatible, but I have lost that list/info...

But I believe the speedos for  '06+ dynas, and '07+ other models (the ones with O2 sensors and the ECMs to handle the O2 sensors) were all compatible up to the advent of the canbus bikes, but were not compatible with prior years...

That could explain why you had no problem with an '08 and are having an issue with an '05...

Anyways, if I am remembering this wrong, I'm sure someone will set me straight.....

Scotty

Quote from: hattitude on March 15, 2019, 07:40:34 PM

Anyways, if I am remembering this wrong, I'm sure someone will set me straight.....

2004 and up starting using the serial bus for communications and the speedos work on them.
So his 2005 is fine as long as he is using the stock ECM or Ignition module.

Rusticwater

March 16, 2019, 04:25:40 AM #14 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:01:03 AM by Rusticwater
Quote from: rigidthumper on March 15, 2019, 01:30:34 PM
New unit, plugged into the data link port, original speedo still plugged in, run/stop switch in run position, turn key on. What happens?

Quote from: tenorhog on March 15, 2019, 01:57:35 PM
New unit says No Cal with oil light on, oil light goes off in 10-20 seconds, unit still reads No Cal

BB

Hmmm...if the engine isn't running, why is the oil light going off? Are you using a tuner? Does the bike have a stock calibration in the ECM? Are there any stored error codes?

And make sure you're plugged into the data connector as opposed to an accessory connector. I think the data wiring colors are these:

Pin
4 - grey
3 - light green/violet
2 - black
1 - light green/red

tenorhog

Hi All, Yes using A Dynatech 88 Ignition...
Maybe that's the problem?

Also, Harness I'm plugging into only has three metal pins...

Scotty

Quote from: tenorhog on March 16, 2019, 09:57:16 AM

Plug in stock ignition and give it a try....................Once done put the Dynatech 88 back in

Rusticwater

If you have an ignition module instead of an ECM, the data link plug only has 3 wires:

Pin
4 - grey
3 - light green/violet
2 - black
1 -

tenorhog

Quote from: Scotty on March 16, 2019, 11:40:42 AM

Plug in stock ignition and give it a try....................Once done put the Dynatech 88 back in

THAT WAS IT!!! MANY THANKS EVERYONE. Love it when things get fixed.
BB

Scotty

hattitude

Quote from: Scotty on March 15, 2019, 10:07:32 PM
Quote from: hattitude on March 15, 2019, 07:40:34 PM

2004 and up starting using the serial bus for communications and the speedos work on them.
So his 2005 is fine as long as he is using the stock ECM or Ignition module.

Thanks for the info....

I knew there was change sometime before the canbus bikes, but couldn't remember when/what... I thought it was later..

Thanks again