April 25, 2024, 10:14:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

As usual excellent work. Think you'll like the bags.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ohio HD

I'd like to get your impressions of the RS cams when you get it dialed in and some miles on her.

It all looks good to me.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 20, 2020, 03:45:11 PM
I'd like to get your impressions of the RS cams when you get it dialed in and some miles on her.

It all looks good to me.

My choice of the RedShift 657 cams was heavily influenced by the following:

1. Legendary racer and engine developer Dick Hilferty (RIP) designed these cams specifically for large displacement touring bikes.

2. I rode a heavy ass bagger with a TC124 and almost the same build as Torque-A-Hoe. That bagger was injected and had giant bagger style exhaust pipes. My bike has a Mik48 and a very different 2-1 pipe. That bagger had torque everywhere. Lots of it. I think I could have pulled a small house off it's foundation with that bike.

3. Have always wanted to build a early intake, high lift big block and put it in a lightweight bike. I think this is going to be a lot of fun.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

Update:

Heat cycles completed and have rode the bike a few times. No issues with engine, transmission, brakes or suspension. I forgot that I used a worn out clutch pack for mock up, it has to be replaced, and the drive train needs to be aligned. But overall everything is pretty good.

Still whittling away at the wiring harness. Would like to go back in time and throat punch the guy that recommended I use a harness from a Dyna. Worse idea ever. Clown probably read it on a forum from someone else who read it on a forum.

The TC124 bagger build in the lightweight chassis is fun. The aluminum pro-taper handle bars with ⅞" ends are really nice. They seem to dampen what little vibrations are left after the rubber mounted drive train. The dirt bike sized grips are a plus. Using the turn signals is going to take some getting used to. Hate the saddle bags, but will come to terms with having them. The close ratio gear set from Andrews with the back cut by Zippers and the micro polishing by Short Block Charlie seems to shift better than any harley I have ever ridden, but have not had a chance to really beat on it yet.

Did I mention that using the wiring harness from a dyna (barf!) was bad idea? Everything is on the wrong side or in the wrong location. And there are so many freaking wires. I am already planning to rip this mess out this winter and replace it with an M-Unit and M-Button from MotoGadget this winter.

I also discovered a possible upgrade to valve stem cores. I know. The rear tire has had a slow leak for a year or two. I figured the new textured powder coating on the rim was causing the leak. Well, after submersing the entire wheel in my pool (Redneck like a MoFo) it was obvious the leak was coming from inside the valve stem. I replaced the core with one that was intended for an AC system. Also used a core valve specific torque driver to sat the new stem. My calibrated air pressure gauge with a 4" dial could not detect any pressure loss over two weeks. I don't know. Maybe. The AC grade cores cost a few pennies more than standard automotive cores. Am told by AC techs that the calibrated core driver is critical.

choseneasy

turboprop

May 26, 2020, 09:02:37 AM #130 Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:14:00 AM by turboprop
Not sure if this link will work. My video skills obviously need work.

aharp

Quote from: turboprop on May 26, 2020, 07:20:42 AM
Update:

Heat cycles completed and have rode the bike a few times. No issues with engine, transmission, brakes or suspension. I forgot that I used a worn out clutch pack for mock up, it has to be replaced, and the drive train needs to be aligned. But overall everything is pretty good.

Still whittling away at the wiring harness. Would like to go back in time and throat punch the guy that recommended I use a harness from a Dyna. Worse idea ever. Clown probably read it on a forum from someone else who read it on a forum.

The TC124 bagger build in the lightweight chassis is fun. The aluminum pro-taper handle bars with ⅞" ends are really nice. They seem to dampen what little vibrations are left after the rubber mounted drive train. The dirt bike sized grips are a plus. Using the turn signals is going to take some getting used to. Hate the saddle bags, but will come to terms with having them. The close ratio gear set from Andrews with the back cut by Zippers and the micro polishing by Short Block Charlie seems to shift better than any harley I have ever ridden, but have not had a chance to really beat on it yet.

Did I mention that using the wiring harness from a dyna (barf!) was bad idea? Everything is on the wrong side or in the wrong location. And there are so many freaking wires. I am already planning to rip this mess out this winter and replace it with an M-Unit and M-Button from MotoGadget this winter.

I also discovered a possible upgrade to valve stem cores. I know. The rear tire has had a slow leak for a year or two. I figured the new textured powder coating on the rim was causing the leak. Well, after submersing the entire wheel in my pool (Redneck like a MoFo) it was obvious the leak was coming from inside the valve stem. I replaced the core with one that was intended for an AC system. Also used a core valve specific torque driver to sat the new stem. My calibrated air pressure gauge with a 4" dial could not detect any pressure loss over two weeks. I don't know. Maybe. The AC grade cores cost a few pennies more than standard automotive cores. Am told by AC techs that the calibrated core driver is critical.
I feel ya. I built a fly by wire harness with cruise for my 01 this winter, if you were bored....lol
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Scotty

Quote from: turboprop on May 26, 2020, 07:20:42 AM
Update:

Best thing I have done to 2 FXR's is the M-Unit Blue and the M-Button
Cleans up so much crap wiring on the FXR's

turboprop

Update.

I was hit by a car a couple days ago. Hit and run. T-boned at an intersection. I am alright but have a lot of road rash. The left side of the Blue/White FXR was tore up pretty bad. After getting hit, I simply picked up the bike and a few pieces and rode it home. No cops or insurance companies were involved.

There is a national FXR event in about a week and half that I intended to ride this new bike to. Fortunately, I have enough stuff on hand to rebuild and have been very loyal to my powder coater and painter. Some parts that I didnt have are coming in from all over the country. Seems every day I drop off a batch at the powder coater, pick up a batch and then go home and tinker. The last piece of sheet metal arrived yesterday and my painter has assured me everything will be done by Monday.

The police caught the guy that hit me. Was his own fault actually. He left the scene after hitting me but called the police to report a down motorcyclist. I was long gone by the time the cops arrived, but the cops did what they do. Anyways, I will heal and the bike is almost fixed.

Hossamania

Well that was a turn I didn't expect. Glad to hear you are mostly ok. F'ing A-hole that leaves a human being lye there like that.
Good luck getting it back together in time for your meet.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HighLiner

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on June 02, 2020, 07:46:03 PM
Well that was a turn I didn't expect. Glad to hear you are mostly ok. F'ing A-hole that leaves a human being lye there like that.

To be fair, he called 911 but did not stop because he recognized me from his daughters school and was worried that I would beat him up, that he would be deported back to Mexico (his wife and him have green cards) and he doesn't have the means to pay for anything. He is a bricklayer that hasn't worked since this Corona thing began and his wife is a house keeper. They dont have anything. After meeting with him on Sunday I got down and prayed with him (holly day of obligation for both of us). All of us are going to be alright.

Hossamania

June 02, 2020, 08:23:48 PM #137 Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:30:04 PM by Hossamania
I gotta be honest, that took yet another turn I did not expect!
You're a good man, turbo. Sounds like he is too. I apologise for calling him names.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on June 02, 2020, 08:10:37 PM

To be fair, he called 911 but did not stop because he recognized me from his daughters school and was worried that I would beat him up, that he would be deported back to Mexico (his wife and him have green cards) and he doesn't have the means to pay for anything. He is a bricklayer that hasn't worked since this Corona thing began and his wife is a house keeper. They dont have anything. After meeting with him on Sunday I got down and prayed with him (holly day of obligation for both of us). All of us are going to be alright.

Glad that your OK, bikes are machines, they can be fixed.

You're a big man for keeping that perspective with the other party, and I respect that. Anyone can get angry, few can look past their own situation.

No Cents

wow Ed...I glad your okay.  :up:
I agree with Brian...bikes can be fixed..."us"...the older we get the longer it seems for us to take to heal. Hopefully the road rash heals fast.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

twincamzz

Holy Moly !
So glad to read that you were able to walk away without serious injury turboprop. Roadrash still sucks anyway you look at it. I admire your attitude about the situation  &  hope that you heal well. Really look forward to your post telling us all that you got your bike back together in time for the FXR event coming up !
not all who wander are lost...

TN

You handled that better than I would have, I had similar circumstances in Houston TX on my Norton 750 years ago concerning the wreck.

My hat off toya.
Just Ride..........

Deye76

"was worried that I would beat him up, "
Don't doubt that for a minute. Also don't doubt your forgiveness, and good will towards others. Have witnessed that several times. Going to miss seeing you in the valley. Stay safe.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

Ok, who kidnapped our Turbo and replaced him with this polite and understanding person! :potstir:

Funny how things work out! Glad you and the FXR will recover. I'm not sure I would have been so understanding.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Will-Run

Lean Angle, " Is Life."

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on June 03, 2020, 06:14:18 AM
Don't doubt that for a minute. Also don't doubt your forgiveness, and good will towards others. Have witnessed that several times. Going to miss seeing you in the valley. Stay safe.

I am planning on being at MV on one of my FXRs, have a room reserved at the Holiday. Checking in Wednesday, checkout Monday. I have to make a go/no-go decision on which FXR to ride. The new blue/white bike with the higher bars, saddle bags and visor will be a lot more comfortable than the red/white bike. I am still sore and stiff. Blsting the red bike for four hours to MV will not be fun right now. The blue bike, is still somewhat dismantled but is getting more whole every day. Unfortunately, it is a new build that still requires a good deal of local shake down. I plan to be sitting in a red rocking chair drinking coffee when the sun comes up next Thursday. Hope to see you there as well.

aharp

Glad you're ok. You are a better man than I.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Deye76 on June 03, 2020, 06:14:18 AM

Yes, I have seen Ed's kindness to others as well.

choseneasy

boooby1744

Quote from: aharp on June 03, 2020, 07:14:58 AM

Glad you're ok. You are a better man than I.
:up: :beer: