April 18, 2024, 06:24:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choseneasy

Are you running a 1" belt ? I looked thru this thread a few times but may have missed that detail on this little phone screen.
   Is it a direct swap from fxr swingarm to the touring swingarm as far as belt length?

turboprop

Quote from: choseneasy on June 22, 2020, 09:50:36 PM
Are you running a 1" belt ? I looked thru this thread a few times but may have missed that detail on this little phone screen.
   Is it a direct swap from fxr swingarm to the touring swingarm as far as belt length?

The blue bike runs a 1.5" wide belt with 136 teeth. Same as most FXRs. Gearing is 32/65 instead of the oem 32/70 that came on most FXRs.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

choseneasy

turboprop

there have been a number of updates to the Long-Range-Missile. I will post pics of some of the other changes, but for now, here are the new auxiliary lights from Baja Designs.

I have been out driving the little 5.25" LED headlight and have been looking around for supplemental lighting. The ADV world is full of manufacturers, resellers and re-labelers for lights. Those guys are somewhat fanatical about having more lights and higher powered lights. I just sort of adapted what they have been doing to one of my FXRS.

I settled on a set of Squadron Pro driving/spot combos from Baja design. I am sure whatever you have is better. Would prefer to not turn my thread into a debate on which lights are better.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-Pro-LED-Light-Black.asp?fbclid=IwAR2DNje1ox34D8TA_eutj83D5GORS9yqGVeV7BEuoyF-nTlNSeRwdaWOwKI

The lights are mounted to an OEM harley crash bar using a set of mounts from Clearwater Lights.
https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/b70?_pos=2&_sid=e11316a4e&_ss=r&fbclid=IwAR1e_vPP1KspmU1VzQfD17xlTZzRLsjg3l8OG_jN9gUtKdilvNeGrTCO4fI

Skene Lights makes a pretty neat little controller that allows the lights to run full blast when the main headlight s set to high beam and at reduced power when it is set to low beam. This allows the auxiliary lights to remain on regardless of how the main headlight is set and does not require an additional switch.
https://www.skenelights.com/installation-iq-275?fbclid=IwAR1e_vPP1KspmU1VzQfD17xlTZzRLsjg3l8OG_jN9gUtKdilvNeGrTCO4fI

[/url]

Hossamania

Have you had any issues with oncoming traffic flashing high beams at you?
Those look like they throw some good illumination down the road.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on March 16, 2021, 12:20:28 PM

Did you look at the link I posted for the controller for Skene?

That controller is programable and allows the connected lights to be run at a lower power level when the headlight is in low beam mode and full blast when set to high beam. This will negate any issues with blinding other drivers in traffic.

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on March 16, 2021, 12:20:28 PM

Follow up to my previous response. I have not had anyone flashing lights at me as I have not had these out on the road. I just have everything mocked up. The crash bar, mounts and brackets are all going to the powder coater to match the rest of the bike, and I have to source 12pt hardware for everything. Again, to match the rest of the bike. And I have to fit the wiring harness, relay, controller to the bike. Not easy on a naked FXR. Not a lot of space for the additional wires let alone the added relay and controller.

I rigged up one of the lights to an old AR-15 style pistol grip and connected it to a car battery. Several of my neighbors were temporarily blinded in their living rooms when I beamed them. Good times. Can't wait to see what they do to me in retaliation.

turboprop

In response to requests for pics of the entire bike. Here you go. These pics are a few months old and do not show the new detachable sissy bar, GPC steering dampener, crash bar and auxiliary lights. Enjoy.

Deye76

The brackets and your mounting design look great. The whole bike is well thought out. Enjoyed the pictures.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PoorUB

Neat little lighting controller!

I am putting a set of driving lights on my BMW R120RT and I may part with the $$ for this controller.

By the way, my lights are better! :potstir: :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2021, 04:40:43 PM

I am putting a set of driving lights on my BMW R120RT and I may part with the $$ for this controller.

I think the harley crowd has much to learn from the ADV riders. If I were smart, I would bite the bullet, flush every one of my harleys, the huge parts cache and everything else and just buy a full blown BMW pizza bike. Seriously. But I won't. Too deep into the rabbit hole to get out.

Hossamania

What kind of pattern do the off road lights throw down the road? Do they have a height cut off like road going lights, or are they a "flood style" that has the potential to shine oncoming traffic, even in dim mode? I know many use them, just wondering how they work in traffic. More light is good, especially with my aging eyes. Pretty, but aging.....

PoorUB

Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2021, 03:25:37 AM

I think the harley crowd has much to learn from the ADV riders. If I were smart, I would bite the bullet, flush every one of my harleys, the huge parts cache and everything else and just buy a full blown BMW pizza bike. Seriously. But I won't. Too deep into the rabbit hole to get out.

I'm getting out. 16 years on Harleys and a couple hundred thousand miles. Fine bikes, I enjoyed them but I miss the performance other brands provide out of the box. I might get weak and buy in again.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Fugawee

Very Nice stable full of Bikes there.  Enjoy!

turboprop

Quote from: Fugawee on March 18, 2021, 09:21:07 AM
Very Nice stable full of Bikes there.  Enjoy!

Thank you. I hate the bagger, but the big block FXRs are a lot of fun. Each one is built for a different purpose.

biggzed

Thanks for the pics. That bike is outstanding, although you black/gold one is my favorite.

Those light are popular with the 4WD Overlanding crew as well. Nice choice.

Zach

turboprop

Quote from: biggzed on April 08, 2021, 10:10:22 AM
Thanks for the pics. That bike is outstanding, although you black/gold one is my favorite.

Zach

Thank you for the kind words. I sold the black and gold FXR to a local here last year. He had to have it and came with a pretty big pile. Everything is for sale. I saw him a few weeks ago, said he was planning to convert it to fuel injection, lower the compression (currently 12:1) and add a turbo. Wants to be in the 250 club.

Hossamania

Quote from: turboprop on April 09, 2021, 09:04:32 AM

Zach

Thank you for the kind words. I sold the black and gold FXR to a local here last year. He had to have it and came with a pretty big pile. Everything is for sale. I saw him a few weeks ago, said he was planning to convert it to fuel injection, lower the compression (currently 12:1) and add a turbo. Wants to be in the 250 club.

You and your friends have way too much fun!

Adam76

Quote from: turboprop on March 17, 2021, 03:25:37 AM

I like the look of the new BMW R18.....  if I had the cash I'd do it.

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on April 09, 2021, 11:12:15 AM
Quote from: turboprop on April 09, 2021, 09:04:32 AM

Zach

You and your friends have way too much fun!

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.  <smile>

I am finally at the point where I am done building my FXRs and am really enjoying being able to open the garage door and jump on either bike without having do any pre or post op stuff. Simply gas oil and ride.

The red/white bike is uncomfortable, but is cranking 160 HP, has race grade brakes, as good a suspension as can be leveraged against a harley and is pretty reliable. The blue/white bike has proven to be a lot of fun and has taken its place as my daily driver. It also has a TC124 but has a build that would typically found in a heavy bagger. The massive torque in the light FXR with cop bags, sport fairing and higher handle bars is a really fun ride.

I hate baggers but am now at a point where I could either do something with mine or buy a new shark nose. I am probably going to build a low compression 124, put a turbo on it and possibly a six speed. The current bagger line does not impress me. Cool paint - dont care. Big iPad sized display - hate it. New style compensator - dont want the annoyance. Larger diameter fork tubes - seriously thinking updating to the current 49mm setup with some internals from Ohlins. The rest of the new bagger stuff - fluff as far as I am concerned.

BJB

Very nice work turboprop.   :up:

A while back, like maybe 5 years, PoorUB had a thread on adding small "imported" LED lights down on the lower sliders by fabbing aluminum plates that mount to the caliper mounting bolts. I did that to both my Dyna & Geezer Glide. With the lights being that low there just isn't glare into oncoming traffic. Also the movement of the slider gives a "HEY LOOK UP IDIOT" message. The bikes "cool" factor is diminished but ICCL. It is nice to mimic a BNSF locomotive light wise.
The only issue I had was when I did this for a buddy on his Kawi Vulcan at time he had the aux lights alternating flashing. I would have added load equalizers this winter but he has since died. 

turboprop

Quote from: BJB on April 13, 2021, 09:16:52 AM
Very nice work turboprop.   :up:

A while back, like maybe 5 years, PoorUB had a thread on adding small "imported" LED lights down on the lower sliders by fabbing aluminum plates that mount to the caliper mounting bolts. I did that to both my Dyna & Geezer Glide. With the lights being that low there just isn't glare into oncoming traffic. Also the movement of the slider gives a "HEY LOOK UP IDIOT" message. The bikes "cool" factor is diminished but ICCL. It is nice to mimic a BNSF locomotive light wise.
The only issue I had was when I did this for a buddy on his Kawi Vulcan at time he had the aux lights alternating flashing. I would have added load equalizers this winter but he has since died. 

Thank you for the kind words. Sometimes I think my work is lost on the bagger centric crowd that seems to be the majority here. I think your remark about lack of glare from a lower mounting position is interesting. I have never run anything like this, nor do I know anyone that has run anything like this, at least not on a harley. In my limited experience with off road vehicles, it seemed a higher mounting position provided better/more lighting. My friends and I have joked about mounting one fo these lights on the rear of the bike for tailgaters.

turboprop

I have done something that I never thought I would do- put a cop fairing on one of my FXRs. Placed the order a couple weeks ago for a high quality reproduction unit. No way am I going to pay tourist prices for a thirty year old piece of ABS with cracks, holes and brittle material.

Like everything, I have scrutinized every component and will be piecing together a best practices so to speak. Most owners of FXR cop fairings will typically have some sort of LED 7" headlight in the oem recess of the fairing. The Moons Flyeye is popular. Naturally, I am doing something a little more.

Baja Designs LP6 Pro off road light combined with a Skene Motorcycle Dimmer. The light provides over 10k lumens and the controller/dimmer will provide reduced voltage when the handlebar switch is set to low beam. Thus allowing this monster light to function as a standard high/low beam headlight.  Salty Motorworks makes a pretty cool kit to instal the LP6 light in place of the standard harley 7" bucket and light.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop