March 29, 2024, 08:44:34 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBrown

Looking forward to reading about & seeing your new fairing and lightning set up.

Any updates yet?

turboprop

July 08, 2021, 08:15:31 AM #201 Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 03:41:30 PM by turboprop
I am still waiting on the fairing turn signals to arrive from Elvis and the LP6 light from Baja Designs is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The fairing and mounting brackets from JD are sitting in my man room. Still have not made a decision on the windshield. Klockworks - Clearview. Every day I swing in the other direction and height is still up in the air as well. As usual, I am not sure about the light pods or gauge pods. I would like to mount a set of Squadron Pro floods in the pods but they have a smaller OD than th oem 4" lights. I may end up drawing a split collar type adapter and machine them out of black delrin. Also debating on the gauge pods. In oem form they are two gauges per pillar. I would like to have illuminated oil pressure and AFR gauges up there. Not sure I need or could use int he other two spots, perhaps a volts and oil pressure. Seems like this would be a little cluttered and not really provide that much value. I dont know. I will probably end up sourcing a set of pods and a compliment of gauges from AutoMeter just to see how it looks.

I am pretty excited about the lights (sounds gay as ever), but the bike currently has a 5" harley Daymaker light (weak sauce) and a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro Combos mounted down low on the highway bar. With these low mounted lights turned on, the headlight is useless and unnoticeable. The high-low beam switch does not produce any noticeable change in the illumination. My goal is to have the large LP6 in the oem position in the fairing a set of Squadron Pro combos in the light pods and a set of Squadron Pro flood lights w/amber lenses on the crash bar. I plan to wire these so that all three light systems are independently controlled.

Seems to me that lighting is like crack, once someone has experienced it they just want more. As  ridiculous as I think the ADV crowd looks riding around in their hockey gear, they are onto something with their lights.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

biggzed

Obviously speakers go in any un-used gauge pod spot. Have you not been keeping up with the bagger crowd?

Zach

Quote from: turboprop on July 08, 2021, 08:15:31 AM
I am still waiting on the fairing turn signals to arrive from Elvis and the LP6 light from Baja Designs is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The fairing and mounting brackets from JD are sitting in my man room. Still have not made a decision on the windshield. Klockworks - Clearview. Every day I swing in the other direction and height is still up in the air as well. As usual, I am not sure about the light pods or gauge pods. I would like to mount a set of Squadron Pro floods in the pods but they have a smaller OD than th oem 4" lights. I may end up drawing a split collar type adapter and machine them out of black delrin. Also debating on the gauge pods. In oem form they are two gauges per pillar. I would like to have illuminated oil pressure and AFR gauges up there. Not sure I need or could use int he other two spots, perhaps a volts and oil pressure. Seems like this would be a little cluttered and not really provide that much value. I dont know. I will probably end up sourcing a set of pods and a compliment of gauges from AutoMeter just to see how it looks.

I am pretty excited about the lights (sounds gay as ever), but the bike currently has a 5" harley Daymaker light (weak sauce) and a set of Baja Design Squadron Pro Combos mounted down low on the highway bar. With these low mounted lights turned on, the headlight is useless and unnoticeable. The high-low beam switch does not produce any noticeable change in the illumination. My goal is to have the large LP6 in the oem position in the fairing a set of Squadron Pro combos in the light pods and a set of Squadron Pro flood lights w/amber lenses on the crash bar. I plan to wire these so that all three light systems are independently controlled.

Seems to me that lighting is like crack, once someone has experienced it they just want more. As  ridiculous as I think the ADV crowd looks riding around in their hockey gear, they are onto something with their lights.

turboprop

Quote from: biggzed on July 09, 2021, 10:26:17 AM
Obviously speakers go in any un-used gauge pod spot. Have you not been keeping up with the bagger crowd?

Zach

Quote from: turboprop on July 08, 2021, 08:15:31 AM

That bunch is even sillier than the ADV crowd.

turboprop

Something I said I would never do, put a fairing on one of my FXRs. I suck. The fairing and mounting brackets are reproductions from JD Fabrications, the headlight is from Baja design. Still a bit of work to do but have ridden it around a couple nights like this. The LP6 headlight with over 10k lumens is a game changer. Unlike typical off-road lights, this one has separate inputs for high and low that work very well. The high beam is powerful enough to drop birds out of flight and give people in oncoming vehicles mild sunburns. 

kd

Hmmmm .....  Leaning towards a new FXR adventure bike series.   :teeth:
KD

hbkeith

A Fairing and a Luggage Rack Ed ? LOL , looking good man , is the JD Fairing ABS or Fiberglass ?

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on November 08, 2021, 11:44:16 AMA Fairing and a Luggage Rack Ed ? LOL , looking good man , is the JD Fairing ABS or Fiberglass ?

Fiberglass.

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on November 08, 2021, 11:44:16 AMA Fairing and a Luggage Rack Ed ? LOL , looking good man , is the JD Fairing ABS or Fiberglass ?

Next I plan to discuss twin cam lifters over and over again. Will probably start half a dozen different threads that all say/ask the same thing.

tommy g

Seeing(hah) as I'm blind as a bat I am taking a great interest in this lighting.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

guydoc77

I like it Ed. A lot.
Oh and please do start a lifter thread.
 :hyst:

turboprop

November 14, 2021, 07:31:21 AM #212 Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 08:11:21 AM by Coyote Reason: Edited to remove drivel
Quote from: tommy g on November 09, 2021, 08:20:12 PMSeeing(hah) as I'm blind as a bat I am taking a great interest in this lighting.

I have been riding the bike for over a week with the new headlight and am surprised by it's performance. The naysayers all said right from the start that this was a bad idea, should not be done, unsafe, was going to blind other drivers, the bike's charging system couldn't handle the load, world hunger would increase, etc, etc. Unfortunately, very few naysayers have actually done anything.

BLUF:
The low beam light pattern and out put is perfect. Doesn't blind anyone, either oncoming vehicles or vehicles in front of mine. Not an issue. The peripheral lighting (corners) is better than anything I have ever experienced on a motorcycle and the cutoff is crisp and well defined.

The high beam pattern is brutal. I will not be able to outdrive this light, even on the darkest roads pushing my red bike with reckless abandon. I am certain this light has blinded some animals and fried many insects while in flight. I plan to mount one of these on my red bike as well.

End goal:
I plan to mount another set of Baja Design Squadron Pro lights inside a set of FXRP light pods. This will result in a total of four Sq Pro lights and on LP6 light. The LP6 will keep it's current combo lens (driving/spot), but the Sq Pro lights will be configured a bit differently. The lights installed on the highway bars will have their current combo lenses replaced with driving lenses. The lights going in the light pods with have spot lenses. 

The lights on the highway bar will be activated by the low-beam circuit of the oem handle bar switch. The lights in the pods will be activated by the high-beam circuit of the oem handle bar switch.

To mak all of this work, with full current at the connectors on the lights will require a couple of relays, a controller and heavy gauge wiring. Individual relays will control power to the low and high beam inputs to the main headlight. Separate controllers will will provide programable step down power to the lights on the highway bar and the pods. All five lights will be illuminated regardless of the low/high beam switch position.

I also plan to try amber driving lenses on the lights on the highway bar. The lights in the pod will not have a lot of adjustability for their aim. The orientation of the pods can be manipulated a little to control vertical aim but the horizontal is somewhat fixed. The lights on the bar are completely adjustable for horizontal and vertical aim and may end up being oriented somewhat outward.

Lights for Pods

Light Pods

Light Controller

Jonny Cash

Bike looks good. Do you have an opinion on the fairing as far as quality? Im thinking about fitting one to an M8 RK
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

turboprop

Quote from: Jonny Cash on November 15, 2021, 07:57:57 AMBike looks good. Do you have an opinion on the fairing as far as quality? Im thinking about fitting one to an M8 RK

I looked extensively at every reproduction FXRP fairing currently on the market. Not simply looking at bs online but looking at them up close talking with the owners that installed them their bikes, etc. I chose JD without any regard to cost.

Jonny Cash

Quote from: turboprop on November 15, 2021, 08:25:24 AM
Quote from: Jonny Cash on November 15, 2021, 07:57:57 AMBike looks good. Do you have an opinion on the fairing as far as quality? Im thinking about fitting one to an M8 RK

I looked extensively at every reproduction FXRP fairing currently on the market. Not simply looking at bs online but looking at them up close talking with the owners that installed them their bikes, etc. I chose JD without any regard to cost.
Thanks!!! Thats what I was looking for! You look at things the same way I do
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

biggzed

Those Squadron Pros are the business. My Beemer came with a set of Clearwater Darla's mounted in the stock location (down low below the floorboard). They are impressive at night. The Squadron's are a couple thousand more lumens. Would love to see the light output on that bike. Well done.

Zach

Quote from: turboprop on November 14, 2021, 07:31:21 AM
Quote from: tommy g on November 09, 2021, 08:20:12 PMSeeing(hah) as I'm blind as a bat I am taking a great interest in this lighting.

I have been riding the bike for over a week with the new headlight and am surprised by it's performance. The naysayers all said right from the start that this was a bad idea, should not be done, unsafe, was going to blind other drivers, the bike's charging system couldn't handle the load, world hunger would increase, etc, etc. Unfortunately, very few naysayers have actually done anything.

BLUF:
The low beam light pattern and out put is perfect. Doesn't blind anyone, either oncoming vehicles or vehicles in front of mine. Not an issue. The peripheral lighting (corners) is better than anything I have ever experienced on a motorcycle and the cutoff is crisp and well defined.

The high beam pattern is brutal. I will not be able to outdrive this light, even on the darkest roads pushing my red bike with reckless abandon. I am certain this light has blinded some animals and fried many insects while in flight. I plan to mount one of these on my red bike as well.

End goal:
I plan to mount another set of Baja Design Squadron Pro lights inside a set of FXRP light pods. This will result in a total of four Sq Pro lights and on LP6 light. The LP6 will keep it's current combo lens (driving/spot), but the Sq Pro lights will be configured a bit differently. The lights installed on the highway bars will have their current combo lenses replaced with driving lenses. The lights going in the light pods with have spot lenses. 

The lights on the highway bar will be activated by the low-beam circuit of the oem handle bar switch. The lights in the pods will be activated by the high-beam circuit of the oem handle bar switch.

To mak all of this work, with full current at the connectors on the lights will require a couple of relays, a controller and heavy gauge wiring. Individual relays will control power to the low and high beam inputs to the main headlight. Separate controllers will will provide programable step down power to the lights on the highway bar and the pods. All five lights will be illuminated regardless of the low/high beam switch position.

I also plan to try amber driving lenses on the lights on the highway bar. The lights in the pod will not have a lot of adjustability for their aim. The orientation of the pods can be manipulated a little to control vertical aim but the horizontal is somewhat fixed. The lights on the bar are completely adjustable for horizontal and vertical aim and may end up being oriented somewhat outward.

Lights for Pods

Light Pods

Light Controller

Deye76

"I chose JD without any regard to cost."
He is a stand up individual also. Met him in Sturgis this year, took time out to answer my questions and showed me some new stuff they try out on their bikes before coming to market. Judging by the bugs on his bike, no trailer queen. I run his bags, fairing and lowers, and my painter, who has seen it all, has high regards for the quality.   
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

tommy g

I am paying close attention and very much appreciate turboprop passing on this hard won research. I live and ride in a land of critters, June, July and part of Aug daylight remains until after my bedtime, after that the dark cuts into our riding time so this is well recieved.
PS, my girl is from Dixie living with me in the frozen North.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

turboprop

Minor update. I am living temporarily at my beach house and am only back at my main house on weekends, so I do not really have a lot of time to ride the FXRs or do a lot of tinkering.

That being said, this weekend I finished up a temporary adapter harness to connect the LP6 headlight to the dual relays and the Skeene controller for the Squadron Pro's mounted on the highway bar.

Everything from the battery, through the relays to both circuits of the LP6 main headlight is wired with 12 gauge wire. The controller for the Squadron's is wired in with 14 gauge wire. The controller is programmed to provide 40% power to the Squadron's when the handlebar switch is set to low beam and 100% power when the handlebar switch is set to hight beam.

This setup works very well. When set to low beam, very few cars is any flash their high beams at me. My wife reports that with me riding behind her car at night the low beam lights are not anymore annoying than a newer truck would be behind her.

High beam is brutal. Seriously. In the interest of science, I blasted a couple oncoming cars at a stop sign. The results were somewhat comical but mean. The people in the oncoming vehicles were severly illuminated.

I have ordered clear and amber driving lenses to replace the combo lenses on the Squadrons' and will probably play around with their vertical and horizontal aim. I suspect that I will end up with a set of clear Squadrons with driving lenses in the pods on the fairing that are triggered by the existing Skeene controller with the Squadrons on the highway bar having amber driving lenses and a separate controller. I want to experiment with turning off the headlight and the light pods and burning only the amber lights mounted low on the highway bars. Curious to see how this works in fog and rain.

mrmike

Been running a set of cheap amber Amazon 4.5" LED Cree's in the passing lamp buckets of my bike for some years now, though technically ambers are recommended for low position as a fog lamp I was looking for something that would make me stand out and be noticed these are pretty bright even in daylight and seemed to be working pretty well until this past Halloween.

Still I think they make a difference in your visibility to others as long as the other guys at least attempt to look your way and I'll keep running them.

Lots of good info here as usual, thanks Turboprop.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

turboprop

Well, it doesn't happen very often but I am officially stumped.

Torque-A-Hoe runs perfect. Seriously. But it drips oil constantly. The oil is coming from the headhunts. I am not talking about a little spot, I wish. After riding the bike and parking it, there will be several very large oil spots directly under the left side frame rail. Apparently, a lot f oil is coming out of the head vents, going through the vent line (heads are T'd into one line) and then blowing all over the underside of the bike.

Now for the fun. This is a recent development. For the last two years there has never been a drop under the bike. Nothing has been changed. The oil tank is not overfilled. As of last night, both cylinders crank at 195 Lbs and have three percent leak down.

I suspect the issue is with the internal breathers but have not isolated which head is blowing the excessive oil.

Has anyone reading this ever encountered symptoms like these and what was the cause?

98fxstc

Quote from: turboprop on April 20, 2022, 10:26:23 AMWell, it doesn't happen very often but I am officially stumped.

Torque-A-Hoe runs perfect. Seriously. But it drips oil constantly. The oil is coming from the headhunts. I am not talking about a little spot, I wish. After riding the bike and parking it, there will be several very large oil spots directly under the left side frame rail. Apparently, a lot f oil is coming out of the head vents, going through the vent line (heads are T'd into one line) and then blowing all over the underside of the bike.

Now for the fun. This is a recent development. For the last two years there has never been a drop under the bike. Nothing has been changed. The oil tank is not overfilled. As of last night, both cylinders crank at 195 Lbs and have three percent leak down.

I suspect the issue is with the internal breathers but have not isolated which head is blowing the excessive oil.

Has anyone reading this ever encountered symptoms like these and what was the cause?

A temporary 2 into 2 setup for the head vents would give an answer and simplify the troubleshooting.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on April 20, 2022, 10:26:23 AMWell, it doesn't happen very often but I am officially stumped.

Can't help with having had this happen. But if you haven't yet, place a hose on one head at a time and see if you can blow past the breather valve. I agree it's most likely a problem with one of the flaps. If you can localize the issue to one head, it may be faster if you're just looking for a repair.

Might be a good time to try the Vulcan breathers if the OEM parts failed.   

60Gunner

April 21, 2022, 04:29:10 PM #224 Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 04:46:21 PM by 60Gunner
Lifters are easy. Johnson Hylifts. 2313SE. I wouldn't run anything else. Bigger reservoir, stiffer spring. Cheaper than all the premium lifters out there too.

Stock breather (umbrella) valves are adequate at best...in stock engines.The bigger the bore and higher the rpm you run the worse they are. They let air back in on upstroke and this builds crankcase pressure. The heat from the heads make them less pliable over time and they don't seal well
I recently found a good reed valve used in BMW and Norton twins.I'm running them off the hose barbs for an external breather kit with a short piece of hose first. Once my rings seated on the dyno, not another drop. Umbrellas are removed altogether. Keeps a slight vacuum which also improves ring seal and head drainage.
Intended as a case mount but available in this inline version as well. Reed valves are just superior one way breather valves.