March 28, 2024, 11:32:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

Quote from: 60Gunner on April 21, 2022, 04:29:10 PMLifters are easy. Johnson Hylifts. 2313SE. I wouldn't run anything else. Bigger reservoir, stiffer spring. Cheaper than all the premium lifters out there too.

Stock breather (umbrella) valves are adequate at best...in stock engines.The bigger the bore and higher the rpm you run the worse they are. They let air back in on upstroke and this builds crankcase pressure. The heat from the heads make them less pliable over time and they don't seal well
I recently found a good reed valve used in BMW and Norton twins.I'm running them off the hose barbs for an external breather kit with a short piece of hose first. Once my rings seated on the dyno, not another drop. Umbrellas are removed altogether. Keeps a slight vacuum which also improves ring seal and head drainage.
Intended as a case mount but available in this inline version as well. Reed valves are just superior one way breather valves.

I am not going to piss in your corn flakes, but this is the funniest post I have seen all week.

If you have humped a pig as your screen names suggests, you should be able to decipher this: 18E4VW8

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

A thought just occurred. This motor has HD heads, did you open up the drain holes in the rocker arm support plate under the breather? Generally I open these to 0.125".

You cannot see attachments on this board.

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 25, 2022, 11:00:07 PMA thought just occurred. This motor has HD heads, did you open up the drain holes in the rocker arm support plate under the breather? Generally I open these to 0.125".

You cannot see attachments on this board.

I did.

Update: Since my last post I have isolated the head vents and pinpointed the rear head as the major source of oil. Anyone that has ever removed a rear head from an FXR knows how much fun it is. The added height of the TC 124 makes the job extra fun. Will probably pull the rocker cover this weekend to have a look.

turboprop

Update on the Long Range Missile:

I have been prepping it over the winter for the ride to the FXR Jam this summer. Instead of it being a few hours away here in Dixie it will be way up north and will probably take a leisurely two or three days to make the trip each way. So, tour pack, fairing, new Commander III tires, Baja Design headlight and driving lights, and probably a few others that I missed. Paint for the new pieces will have to wait until winter.

Most that know me, know how much I like my bagger. HATE IT. This bike is pretty much a bagger as well but there is really no comparison between the two bikes. I plan to convert blue to Delphi fuel injection, maybe over this coming winter. Not looking forward to cutting the frame.

rigidthumper

I like it as is! Kind of an industrial, "lets go kill zombies" vibe. Got a place to mount a Barrett?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Ohio HD

What was the culprit in the crank vent system?

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 30, 2022, 04:25:33 PMWhat was the culprit in the crank vent system?

I have isolated the source of the oil to the rear cylinder but have not pulled the rocker box yet.

Just so you know, I minored in procrastination and am certified as a lean six sigma procrastinator. I think my company even addresses this in our four-volume quality manual.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on April 30, 2022, 04:38:49 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 30, 2022, 04:25:33 PMWhat was the culprit in the crank vent system?

I have isolated the source of the oil to the rear cylinder but have not pulled the rocker box yet.

Just so you know, I minored in procrastination and am certified as a lean six sigma procrastinator. I think my company even addresses this in our four-volume quality manual.

Well understood. Been known to drag my feet and change directions in a moments notice myself.

Deye76

Hope the tour pack is small enough to not affect low speed handling. The cut down ones on baggers aren't that bad, the but the higher ones were IME. Bike looks very road worthy, safe travels.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on May 01, 2022, 06:43:30 AMHope the tour pack is small enough to not affect low speed handling. The cut down ones on baggers aren't that bad, the but the higher ones were IME. Bike looks very road worthy, safe travels.

I share your concerns and the quick detach mounts are some what of a dual edge sword. Yes, they allow the bar and tour pack to be easily removed and installed, but they also raise the tour pack a couple inches higher. The plan for the Jam is to remove it as soon as I can access my room and reinstall just prior to leaving. I am also playing with the idea of having a couple sets of side plates that are configured differently. Perhaps one with a tour pack and anther with a simple low bar w/pad. Will see.

kd

FWIW I rarely use the tour pac on my RGU. It's on a quick release for those times. I always have a quick release rack on behind the seat.  I found if I head out over night it's way easier to just strap an over night bag on and go plus it's handy for those trips to the store etc..
KD

turboprop

Quote from: kd on May 01, 2022, 10:54:01 AMFWIW I rarely use the tour pac on my RGU. It's on a quick release for those times. I always have a quick release rack on behind the seat.  I found if I head out over night it's way easier to just strap an over night bag on and go plus it's handy for those trips to the store etc..

I don't think it is possible for my wife ride my bike without bringing a giant purse and now that she has been spoiled by the bagger, well you know how this goes. Notice the rear floor boards from a newer bagger.

kd

:hyst:   Good for you for not selfishly thinking only about yourself.  Now a back rest allows you to get on it and not losing her when she's on the back.  That's kinda what I call serving both masters.  Its the only way my wife will get on with me now.  :nix:
KD

Wookie3011

Quote from: rigidthumper on April 30, 2022, 04:06:41 PMI like it as is! Kind of an industrial, "lets go kill zombies" vibe. Got a place to mount a Barrett?

I'm thinking the 50 Browning Machine Gun can go between the saddlebag and tourpak. The saddlebag can double as the feed can for the linked M2 Incindiary rounds. :koolaid:

m1marty

Quote from: turboprop on April 30, 2022, 02:36:26 PMUpdate on the Long Range Missile:

I have been prepping it over the winter for the ride to the FXR Jam this summer. Instead of it being a few hours away here in Dixie it will be way up north and will probably take a leisurely two or three days to make the trip each way. So, tour pack, fairing, new Commander III tires, Baja Design headlight and driving lights, and probably a few others that I missed. Paint for the new pieces will have to wait until winter.

Most that know me, know how much I like my bagger. HATE IT. This bike is pretty much a bagger as well but there is really no comparison between the two bikes. I plan to convert blue to Delphi fuel injection, maybe over this coming winter. Not looking forward to cutting the frame.

This is pinnacle FXR stuff. Love everything about it Ed.
OFFO

Mi Infidel

2001 FXD 2006 stock heads 95" @ 10.5:1 Fueling 543
Dynatek ignition Supertrapp 2:1 29 tooth front pulley

turboprop

Thank you. It is a work in progress.

Still sorting various features for the fairing, tour pack and lowers. Also collecting stuff to convert it from carb to delphi fuel injection. Plan is to do a new paint job once the various issues are sorted out and then repaint everything to include carb and FI gas tanks, as well as the RP, sport and DX fairings.

I also plan to switch to floor boards for the driver along with a new quiet pipe from RB Racing. These bikes are never really finished.

turboprop

Update.

Have received a bunch of PMs and calls about the current status of the Long-Range Missile.

Current status:

1. A repo tour pack and RP fairing have been fitted along with the necessary accoutrements.
2. The heads were removed to be machined for vents separate from the carb mounting holes.
3. The Axtell cylinders with ductile liners look terrific, but are being sent out to be powder coated without highlighting the edges.
4. The cylinders are going to be honed  to .005" over and the existing pistons will be treated by Line2Line.
5. I have procured a complete set of OEM driver floor boards and associated controls in excellent condition. They are being sent to be powder coated black.
6. I plan to place an order with RB Racing for a custom black pipe with 2" head pipes for use on an FXR with floorboards. Have not decided between the LSR or the Black Hole.
7. The Baja Designs LP6 headlight is amazing but does not fit under the cover so is being replaced by a Hella reflector and bulb. The LP6 will probably end up the red/white FXR.

Hopefully this answers the mail for everyone.

Ohio HD

Isn't this bike the one that had issues with the compression releases? Are you doing anything different this time?

turboprop

I thought it was a compression release, but it wasn't. I was looking at changing to S&S EZ Start cams  but they don't have a grind that aligns with how this engine is configured.

Not making any root changes right now. Going to reconfigure the head vents and changing exhausts required by the new floor boards and doing away with the highlighted fins on the cylinders.

The new pipe and powder coated cylinders gets this bike pretty close to being completely blackened out. I think the only pieces on this bike that are not powder coated with black diamond or painted Shelby Blue are the fork tubes, gas cap, trim rings on gauges, and rear turn signals (soon to be replaced with FL type turn signals).