March 28, 2024, 06:09:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfolarry

I'd ask him first about making you a pipe before I bought one.
I'm not friends with him but he doesn't live too far away from me [or maybe not now I don't really know]. Some years back when a friend of mine was campaigning a 124 at the track Brian made a pipe for him.[they're friends] Before the pipe 9.9 was his best but usually low 10's. With the Guppy pipe 9.79. Consistent 9 second bike. This was a street bike too not a race bike. The pipe is impressive. Think about it. Can't hurt to ask.

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on January 03, 2019, 12:29:47 PM
I'd ask him first about making you a pipe before I bought one.
I'm not friends with him but he doesn't live too far away from me [or maybe not now I don't really know]. Some years back when a friend of mine was campaigning a 124 at the track Brian made a pipe for him.[they're friends] Before the pipe 9.9 was his best but usually low 10's. With the Guppy pipe 9.79. Consistent 9 second bike. This was a street bike too not a race bike. The pipe is impressive. Think about it. Can't hurt to ask.

We have talked about it. He is certainly willing but really needs the bike in front of him. Also discussed shipping the bike to him or having him do the NRE and then ship me his proprietary components for a local shop to do the fab work with.

The Guppy I pulled off the red bike is currently undergoing some maintenance. Had an event. The reverse cone portion is being replaced, mounting assembly is getting beefed up and then it is being sent out to have the existing Jet Hot sanded off and and re-coated by a shop in Detroit. He may even hook me up with one of the 3rd generation baffles.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

HighLiner

You must have a better connection as I've called and emailed his new shop with no response.

speedzter

Quote from: turboprop on January 03, 2019, 05:37:50 AM
The air cleaner from HPI is specific for a Mikuni HSR carb, The HPI unit has a integrated velocity stack that goes into the throat of the Mik. Sort of eliminates the multiple steps that the Zippers (and others) plate creates.

Ok, I didn't realize HPI made a back plate to suit the Mikuni.
Sounds like a nice solution. Would love to see a shot of the velocity stack fitted.
I'm wondering how you sorted out the air feed orifice for the idle circuit ?

Deye76

Probably 3 of the finest FXR's in the country Ed. Any reason why you went with conventional forks instead of inverted, like the other 2?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on January 03, 2019, 04:37:10 PM
Probably 3 of the finest FXR's in the country Ed. Any reason why you went with conventional forks instead of inverted, like the other 2?

Thanks for the kind words. IMO, your Screamin Eagle CVO FXR is at the top of my list of best FXRs in the country.

I have the stuff to build another inverted fork, but wanted to do something different with this bike. Ironically, as this bike is very different for me, there are thousands of them just like this in California. Admittedly, very few of them have an engine or drive train built like like this. Plus, a friend gave me the DX fork and wheel. This bike started out as a way to clean up a bunch of spare parts in my garage.

turboprop

Finished up the right side perch for the brake pedal and foot beg mount.

ecir50

Killer machine, do you guys take anything off the rib on the backside peg mount. Kiwi leather dye did wonders to my convertible bags, works on the canvas too.

turboprop

Quote from: ecir50 on January 03, 2019, 08:55:48 PM
Killer machine, do you guys take anything off the rib on the backside peg mount. Kiwi leather dye did wonders to my convertible bags, works on the canvas too.

A bunch of material is removed from the rib on the back side. No real way around it. The bags shown are just for mock up. I have a set of NOS convertible bags that I may use. Still on the fence about a set of carbon fiber RP bags.

Deye76

Details,  :up: that double row bearing, trap door. I learn a lot following your builds.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

akjeff

Some great looking(and performing) FXR's turbo, nice job! :up:
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on January 03, 2019, 11:33:41 AM
Quote from: ndmp40 on January 03, 2019, 11:30:49 AM
What kind of pipe is on the Red bike?  Beautiful, likely functional too I bet.

The power output decreased some when I replaced the Guppy with this;

http://www.bassanipipes.com/greglutzka2into1stainlessdynasystem-1-1.aspx

Where they similar in design? Size of piping? What do you feel caused the power loss?

Im in the same boat as far as Exhaust...Venting a 124" hotrod has its challenges..  Id love a Guppy.. But might be easier to find a Unicorn..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on January 04, 2019, 09:10:00 AM

Where they similar in design? Size of piping? What do you feel caused the power loss?

Im in the same boat as far as Exhaust...Venting a 124" hotrod has its challenges..  Id love a Guppy.. But might be easier to find a Unicorn..

With the naked eye the two pipes are different. I am far from smart on the science involved in making an exhaust pipe work, but am told by some smart people that the two pipes have huge differences in how they function.

The 124 in the red/white bike has a vent system that is very different. The S&S heads did not come setup for traditional vents out the air filter mounting bolts. Instead they came drilled and tapped in an area under the rocker boxes for nipple. From the factory, the rear head had a 5/16" barb and the front had a ⅛" barb. The large hose was supposed to be routed to the air cleaner and the smaller hose was supposed to be connected to a barb on the manifold. I changed it up some. Both holes were setup for 5/16" barbs and hoses run directly from each of them to a vented catch can. The vent line between the oil tank and engine case has a T in it that is run to one of the lines going to the catch can. This seems to work very well. After a couple hours on the highway the exterior of the engine is spotless and no issues with sumping or anything else. Maybe I did something wrong?

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on January 04, 2019, 09:35:47 AM
Quote from: nosjunkie on January 04, 2019, 09:10:00 AM

With the naked eye the two pipes are different. I am far from smart on the science involved in making an exhaust pipe work, but am told by some smart people that the two pipes have huge differences in how they function.

The 124 in the red/white bike has a vent system that is very different. The S&S heads did not come setup for traditional vents out the air filter mounting bolts. Instead they came drilled and tapped in an area under the rocker boxes for nipple. From the factory, the rear head had a 5/16" barb and the front had a ⅛" barb. The large hose was supposed to be routed to the air cleaner and the smaller hose was supposed to be connected to a barb on the manifold. I changed it up some. Both holes were setup for 5/16" barbs and hoses run directly from each of them to a vented catch can. The vent line between the oil tank and engine case has a T in it that is run to one of the lines going to the catch can. This seems to work very well. After a couple hours on the highway the exterior of the engine is spotless and no issues with sumping or anything else. Maybe I did something wrong?

Venting was in reference to exhaust..(poor choice of words on my part)..  not crankcase venting/blowby..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

ecir50

Quote from: turboprop on January 03, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
Quote from: ecir50 on January 03, 2019, 08:55:48 PM

A bunch of material is removed from the rib on the back side. No real way around it. The bags shown are just for mock up. I have a set of NOS convertible bags that I may use. Still on the fence about a set of carbon fiber RP bags.

Using the same pan but on a EVO. Mine is untouched has a good 1/8 clearance to the bolt, thinking taking some off just give it a little more clearance. Was just skeptical of taking material off the gusset even though the peg mount is a huge chunk of steel, not your first rodeo so if you guys haven't had any problems i'm comfortable now, thanks. 

hbkeith

January 05, 2019, 04:04:39 AM #40 Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:56:11 AM by FSG
Quote from: Deye76 on January 18, 1970, 01:36:47 PMI learn a lot following your builds.
:up:  Ed is the man with the FXR knowledge , I think there is a lot of us doing our FXR with some guiding from Ed

HD/Wrench

turboprop

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 06, 2019, 07:39:09 AM
Any thought given to Fab28 ??

I have looked at their pipes and spoken with them. The pipes are gorgeous no doubt. Unfortunately, the technical details about them are very light and the fact that they intentionally hide or omit their physical location from their website throws a a flag.

Ohio HD

I found their location a few months ago while looking for exhaust as well. They were or are working from a residence (not listing that address publicly). And also another address is 941 Garcia Ave, Pittsburg, CA 94565 which is a commercial location. Hopefully their business grew and they went to a commercial location.

kd

The one thing that I notice is the way the muffler shakes.  I remember NoCents breaking off his megaphone muffler from the same vibration.  I would suggest a more solid mount to the muffler would deal with that issue. (if in fact there were one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnr1mHkg7wA
KD

turboprop

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 06, 2019, 08:09:33 AM
I found their location a few months ago while looking for exhaust as well. They were or are working from a residence (not listing that address publicly). And also another address is 941 Garcia Ave, Pittsburg, CA 94565 which is a commercial location. Hopefully their business grew and they went to a commercial location.

Yeah. That throws up a flag from but could live with that if they had the technicals. In talking with them it was apparent that they were expert welders but lacked the scientific knowledge required to make an effective exhaust or even basic A-B-C comparisons showing THIER different designs on the same large large engine with details specs of that engine. Instead I got screen shots of pictures of dyne sheets from various builds. Have to pass. Good looking stuff though.

1workinman

:agree:
Quote from: biggzed on January 02, 2019, 03:05:56 PM
It's always exciting seeing a build post from Turboprop. Bike(s) looks fantastic.

Zach

turboprop

January 06, 2019, 04:33:04 PM #47 Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:53:38 PM by turboprop
Started on the new upper engine mounts. This is one of those pieces that the FXR community has not stepped up to manufacture. The oem FXR top engine mount has an Evo style coil mount,  is thin, has holes/slots that are not precise and is really a POS. My new mounts are made from .250" thick stainless and has the correct interface for the TC style coil. I drew it and had the guys at work cut the outline using a plasma. The hole for the upper stabilizer link was drilled undersized and then reamed for a precise fit to the shoulder bolt that will be used. Same thing with the slots for the bolts that go into each head. Next step is to get them on a punch press to put the bends in them and then out for polishing.

Clockwise from upper left; stack of four new pieces, prototype unit with holes slots cut using plasma, the hack job piece I made a couple years ago, unmodified shovel/evo factory mount.

mrmike

Very nice, can't go wrong with stainless either.

Like others have said I enjoy following the progression of your projects, definetly way out of my league but I enjoy seeing the craftsmanship and attention to detail. Try to learn a thing or two too.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on January 06, 2019, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 06, 2019, 08:09:33 AM

Yeah. That throws up a flag from but could live with that if they had the technicals. In talking with them it was apparent that they were expert welders but lacked the scientific knowledge required to make an effective exhaust or even basic A-B-C comparisons showing THIER different designs on the same large large engine with details specs of that engine. Instead I got screen shots of pictures of dyne sheets from various builds. Have to pass. Good looking stuff though.

I agree with you. May be the best pipe out there, but without supporting data of theirs, or others that have used them, I'm skeptical too.