April 30, 2024, 01:26:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Project Long-Range Missile TC124 FXR

Started by turboprop, January 02, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

Update:

Paint was supposed to be ready last night. Have I mentioned how much I distrust bike painters?

Have been chasing an intake leak that didnt exist. The engine was running lean almost everywhere. I replaced the intake seals that looked really bad but the new seal didnt really affect the lean AFR that much. Turned out to be a jetting issue that I didnt understand. At the root of my frustration is I have two FXRs, both with TC124 engines and Mik48 carb setups. One of the bikes has been tuned really, really good. One would think the tune package would be very close for the other engine. Nope.

Engine A has 11.9 compression and cams that close the intake at 60 degrees. It was built to run. Engine B has 10.5 compression and cams with an intake close of 45 degrees. It was built to pull a tractor trailer. Engine B seems to require a lot more fuel in the low and mid range area. It makes sense now, but hasn't for the last week.

Everything that was damaged in the wreck has been replaced, re-powder coated, repainted, etc. Chasing this tune has provided a bit of saddle time to see what needs to be adjusted. This bike is now very comfortable, rides silky smooth, stops better than anything harley has ever made, shifts are very precise, the gearing is almost perfect, and the clutch feel is much better with the new pack.

For those that have not bet following along, here are the highlights:

'89 FXR frame. Alignment checked and straightened, late model bagger arm.
TC 124" built on a set of early five speed era cases, Red Shift 657 cams, extensive headwork and internal coatings. Mik48 carb, Super D intake, HPI cleaner, Fab28 HO pipe.
Andrews gear set back cut by Zippers, late model TC drum and pawl.
RaceTech shocks, 15"
FXDX Fork with Racetech internals setup by GMD Atlanta
Galfer rotors and pads all around, Harley/Brembo calipers front and rear
Barnett carbon fiber pack in a '98 and up basket w/variable pressure plate, hydraulic actuation

Will post some pics once the stuff returns from paint.

I am still a little sore/still from the wreck. One of my legs is still a little tweaked and am walking with a slight limp.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cheech

Hope you recover well.  :up:
Thought you were doing the Rekluse pack in this?

Hossamania

I have to say, when you do a build, you do not fool around!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: cheech on June 08, 2020, 08:38:27 AM
Hope you recover well.  :up:
Thought you were doing the Rekluse pack in this?

The Rekluse pack went in the red/white bike. This bike had a SE pack that I had and recycled. I decided after the first ride to replace it. I hummed and hawed over which brand, with material, number of plates and even fluid (gay). The extra plate kit was a no brainer. Carbon fiber was chosen over kevlar or red alto just because it is newer tech and I like trying new things. I can buy Barnett at dealer prices. So there is the decision matrix.

guydoc77

Just got up to date on this thread.
Very cool to hear you describe your empathy for the guy that hit you. I was humbled reading that.
Glad you are more or less ok. I suspect you were riding with riding gear?
Reminded me of my wreck seven years ago.
Your bike looks great. Interesting about the jetting/different cam timing issue.

turboprop

Quote from: Hossamania on June 08, 2020, 08:43:30 AM

Having multiple bikes is a critical component of doing builds like this. Not being in a rush to ride it affords me the opportunity to set a goal and move towards it without taking short cuts or skimping.

I hate my bagger, but it is the constant. It is always up, I never tinker with it, heck, I hardly change oil in it. But it is always available to ride.

My other FXR is the red/white Smack-A-Hoe bike. This bike has turned out to be be a brute, but is uber reliable and so much fun to blast around on. Although I have ridden as far as five states away, it is not setup for this type of riding, has no storage capacity and the ergonomics do not support long stretches.

The blue/white Torque-A-Hoe bike is more along the lines of a 1970 hot rod Lincoln. Big block, soft suspension, comfy seats, nice little trunk and comfortable ergonomics. I plan to eventually convert this bike over to FI and may do a fly by wire system with integrated cruise control. Maybe. Have to sort out the gas tank/fuel pump issue first.

turboprop

Quote from: guydoc77 on June 08, 2020, 09:08:12 AM
Very cool to hear you describe your empathy for the guy that hit you. I was humbled reading that.
Your bike looks great. Interesting about the jetting/different cam timing issue.

I wish. Instead I was wearing a pair of painters pants, a light fishing shirt and a pair of sneakers. My wife and daughter returned a few minutes after I got home to find me in the garage with my clothes ripped up, blood everywhere and me unbolting damaged pieces from the bike. The witch doctor instinct is strong in my wife. She wanted me to burn an entire day in the ER, take a bunch of pills, wash, etc. No time for any of that. My former team medic (Now a PA) made a house call. Leg is still a bit sore but I try to hide it from from my daughter.

I will add that for over twenty years of service in Airborne, Ranger and Special Operation service that required almost constant high-risk activity, I was never really worried about getting hurt. I always figured one of my buddies would hit me with the happy juice and eventually I might come through and be alright. This wreck was the first time I was hurt that I didn't have a teammate right there to hit me with the juice. I had to climb out form under my bike, pick it up and limp home. I healed up without much effort. The only happy juice my bike will get is me putting in the work.

The guy that hit me and his family are so relieved that I refused to press charges or ask them to pay for damages. I am glad I could give them that. Life for them is tough enough without this.

JW113

Holy crap! I don't follow the TC forum a lot, just pop'd in and saw this. DAMN glad to hear you are OK and the bike survived and back on the mend. Hat's off to you, you're a good man.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

June 09, 2020, 03:24:14 PM #158 Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:30:49 PM by turboprop
Tried to add a video but not working.

Ohio HD

Ed you can't upload a video here like a photo. If you have somewhere to host it, just paste the link into a post.

Ohio HD

Quote from: turboprop on June 08, 2020, 09:15:16 AM

Having multiple bikes is a critical component of doing builds like this. Not being in a rush to ride it affords me the opportunity to set a goal and move towards it without taking short cuts or skimping.

I hate my bagger, but it is the constant. It is always up, I never tinker with it, heck, I hardly change oil in it. But it is always available to ride.

My other FXR is the red/white Smack-A-Hoe bike. This bike has turned out to be be a brute, but is uber reliable and so much fun to blast around on. Although I have ridden as far as five states away, it is not setup for this type of riding, has no storage capacity and the ergonomics do not support long stretches.

The blue/white Torque-A-Hoe bike is more along the lines of a 1970 hot rod Lincoln. Big block, soft suspension, comfy seats, nice little trunk and comfortable ergonomics. I plan to eventually convert this bike over to FI and may do a fly by wire system with integrated cruise control. Maybe. Have to sort out the gas tank/fuel pump issue first.

Ha, I like that name.

turboprop

June 09, 2020, 05:11:23 PM #161 Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:20:48 PM by turboprop
This should open to a video.

Deye76

Got it looking great in short order.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

biggzed

Do you still have the black FXR pictured in the beginning of this thread?

The blue one came out great. Sorry for the hard get off, but sounds like you are healed and all is going to work out.

Zach

guydoc77

Quote from: turboprop on June 08, 2020, 09:27:29 AM
Quote from: guydoc77 on June 08, 2020, 09:08:12 AM

I wish. Instead I was wearing a pair of painters pants, a light fishing shirt and a pair of sneakers. My wife and daughter returned a few minutes after I got home to find me in the garage with my clothes ripped up, blood everywhere and me unbolting damaged pieces from the bike. The witch doctor instinct is strong in my wife. She wanted me to burn an entire day in the ER, take a bunch of pills, wash, etc. No time for any of that. My former team medic (Now a PA) made a house call. Leg is still a bit sore but I try to hide it from from my daughter.

I will add that for over twenty years of service in Airborne, Ranger and Special Operation service that required almost constant high-risk activity, I was never really worried about getting hurt. I always figured one of my buddies would hit me with the happy juice and eventually I might come through and be alright. This wreck was the first time I was hurt that I didn't have a teammate right there to hit me with the juice. I had to climb out form under my bike, pick it up and limp home. I healed up without much effort. The only happy juice my bike will get is me putting in the work.

The guy that hit me and his family are so relieved that I refused to press charges or ask them to pay for damages. I am glad I could give them that. Life for them is tough enough without this.

:up:

Glad you are ok. Great ending to a great story.  :beer:

turboprop

Quote from: biggzed on June 11, 2020, 10:50:07 AM
Do you still have the black FXR pictured in the beginning of this thread?

The blue one came out great. Sorry for the hard get off, but sounds like you are healed and all is going to work out.

Zach

I sold black/gold a few months ago to a local friend.

akjeff

Glad to see you made it through the crash OK, and good on ya!
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

dynabagger

The bike looks great. Glad you're okay.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

RTMike

turboprop

June 21, 2020, 02:10:00 PM #169 Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:00:48 PM by FSG
I received a couple of PM asking about chassis mods to do an FXR conversion. I have never cut a factory FXR frame to do a TC conversion. That being said, while the TC drive train is almost a direct bolt in, there are a couple peripherals that require some 'custom' work.

The top engine mount where it interfaces with the coil will have to be addressed as the Evo and TC coils mount very differently. I made a small run of them from .250" stainless. The picture below shows the evo mount, the proof of concept, the un-bent cutouts and a finished unit.

The other area of the chassis that requires attention is the right side foot peg mount. In its unmodified form, the mount is very close to the lower/right trans to engine mounting bolt. The fix is to simply grind until there is enough clearance for the engine to shake and to lower the front engine mount. Pics below are of the modified mounting bracket.

HighLiner

Is there a viable alternative to the coil mount?

turboprop

Quote from: HighLiner on June 22, 2020, 02:11:15 PM
Is there a viable alternative to the coil mount?

There always is and I am sure someone will come along to tell me that their way is much better. IMO, the 'better' way is always a compromise of some sort.

For me, I wanted to use a standard off the shelf oem style twin cam coil and mount it in the same position as the evo coil. I searched for an off the shelf solution, both oem and aftermarket, but could not find anything close.

Some details I left out of the post about the coil mounts. The proof of concept involved cutting and welding an factory style evo mount. The first article was cut out using a plasma cutter, to include the various mounting holes and slots.  The production units were cut out using a plasma cutter and then had the various holes and slots done on a bridgeport. The mounting hole for the top link was reamed for a precise fit. The drawing will be revised if/when I decide to do another run. The Rev-1 will include a nut welded to the underside for the bolt that attaches the link and it will have a #10 threaded hole to secure the connector for the electronic compression releases. 

turboprop

June 22, 2020, 04:33:54 PM #172 Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 05:03:04 PM by FSG
Here is a picture of the top mount with the oem twin cam style coil. The Deutsch 2-pin connector for the electric compression releases can be seen lying on top of the mount.

This picture reminds me of another area that requires 'custom'. Notice how the coil is centered on the mount but the coil outputs are offset. This required a set of unequal length wires. The physical dimensions of the outputs are also different than those of the evo style coil. I special ordered these from Magnacore and think the rear wire is 2.5" longer than the front wire.

No hacks allowed in my garage.

Deye76

Thanks for sharing your modifications and photos. Very useful information.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

June 22, 2020, 08:54:45 PM #174 Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:08:18 PM by FSG
Received a PM asking about the primary drive. Here are the details:

Exterior
-'94 and up FXR inner primary. OEM
- Late model TC five speed outer primary cover. This one has the drain plug with the o-ring, not the tapered plug.
- OEM five hole derby cover
- Vulcan Engineering billet inspection cover
- Aluminum shift tube with bushings honed for close fit to shift lever.
- Aftermarket shift lever
- ARP 12pt hardware.
- Powder coated in black diamond
- Shims on the shift shaft between the lever and the tube to reduce lateral movement.
- Dedicated case vent.

Interior
- Vulcan Eng solid front sprocket, 25t
- Evo Industries '98 up basket
- OEM clutch hub
- Barnett carbon fiber, extra plate clutch pack
- AIM billet pressure plate, w/ VPC-94 and lightest spring I had on hand.
- Tsubaki chain
- Evo Ind ring and pinion, 10/84
- Bandit solid shoe
- Syhthetic ATF fluid
- Cometic gaskets and seals
- S&S bearing race
- C1 bearing in clutch hub
- Heavy duty clutch pushrod with hardened ends.
- Threaded holes around perimeter of the inner case have been fitted with time certs. Gasket flange has been lapped flat on both inner and out covers.

I think this is just about everything.