April 19, 2024, 12:48:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2005 XLHc 883 carb/fuel question

Started by TexNorth, January 02, 2019, 12:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexNorth

Hey all, so I took our sporty out of the garage this last weekend to run it and keep the oil fresh.   It sat on a battery tender for about a month and when I went to start it up.  I turned on the petcock, let it sit for a minute to fill the carb bowl.   Pulled the choke, gave a couple twists and cranked...and cranked .....and cranked, gave a bunch more twists and it finally started coughing.   However I had to push in the choke to get it to keep running (while cracking the throttle).   Did that for a minute and then I could let if off and it idled just fine (air temp around 55F).

So my question is:  is the petcock vacuum driven or should I look at tearing down the carb and petcock to clean in out?   I know that is probably what I have to do, but I am curious if anyone has any other things I should check.   The bike runs strong and idles just fine once past the initial startup.

It is a cali bike with the vapor canister if that makes any difference.

Hossamania

The petcock is vacuum controlled. No need to wait for the bowl to fill, it won't. But, you already had fuel in the bowl, so when you twisted the throttle a few times, you flooded the motor.
The way I start mine cold is to turn on the fuel, pull the choke (enrichener), twist the throttle about 1/8 turn, release, and hit the starter. I let it turn over about two or three times. If it does not start, I double check to make sure the choke is still full out, twist the throttle another 1/8 and release, and hit the starter again. Starts 99% of the time, even after sitting for months. If it still does not start, I give half a twist and release, hit starter.
When starting it with the choke on, do not hold the throttle open at all, that pulls it off of the enrichener circuit, and you are fighting the carb on the way it wants to work.
This has worked for me for almost thirty years on three different bikes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Also, are you just starting the bike to let it idle a few minutes and then turning it off and putting it away?
If so, don't. You are not keeping the oil fresh, but are introducing condensation in it and breaking it down.
Either don't start it and let it sit, or take it for a nice half hour ride to bring everything up to temperature, then put it back in storage.

FSG

QuoteIt is a cali bike with the vapor canister if that makes any difference.

has it been checked as per Service Bulletin M1160  (Safety Recall Code 0115) ?

TexNorth

Quote from: Hossamania on January 02, 2019, 12:39:47 PM
The petcock is vacuum controlled. No need to wait for the bowl to fill, it won't. But, you already had fuel in the bowl, so when you twisted the throttle a few times, you flooded the motor.
The way I start mine cold is to turn on the fuel, pull the choke (enrichener), twist the throttle about 1/8 turn, release, and hit the starter. I let it turn over about two or three times. If it does not start, I double check to make sure the choke is still full out, twist the throttle another 1/8 and release, and hit the starter again. Starts 99% of the time, even after sitting for months. If it still does not start, I give half a twist and release, hit starter.
When starting it with the choke on, do not hold the throttle open at all, that pulls it off of the enrichener circuit, and you are fighting the carb on the way it wants to work.
This has worked for me for almost thirty years on three different bikes.

I let it warm up and then rode around for quite some time until it was nice and hot.  So that's ok.

I will try your method to start, however, I can tell it was not flooded. The more I twisted and shot the accelerator in, the better it started bumping.   It seemed like the choke didn't do anything other than it won't run at all when  it is on.   The choke never seemed to work like on my evo.  I got to the point where I would not use the choke,  shoot some gas in with the grip and get it to start and then feather the throttle for a min until it warmed up enough to idle.  Then it was fine.  I don't know if someone jacked with the carb, but I did notice it is not as cold natured as my 92 Evo is.

Quote from: FSG on January 02, 2019, 03:11:37 PM
QuoteIt is a cali bike with the vapor canister if that makes any difference.

has it been checked as per Service Bulletin M1160  (Safety Recall Code 0115) ?

I will have to call the dealer for that, I have only had the bike for less than a year.  What was that service bulletin?

TexNorth

Called dealer, negative on any recalls on that bike...

Hossamania

Interesting. I wonder if maybe the enrichener is plugged, or maybe the cable is broken. It seems you've got a handle on it. You might want to pull the air cleaner and make sure the accelerator pump is shooting a good strong shot of fuel when you twist the throttle. It sounds like it is with your starting method, but it can't hurt to check. Check the air filter too if you haven't lately.
For my own personal curiousity, I would pull the carb apart just to see what's going on, but that's just me. I'm curious enough to dismantle things that seem to work fine.