May 07, 2024, 07:22:58 AM

News:

Bad Battery???

Started by 89 fxrs, January 10, 2019, 08:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

89 fxrs

a friend just bought a used 2012 road glide so not sure how old the battery is, but  he had it on a tender and the green light was on but it won't start the bike - it turns over really slow so I put a volt meter on it and it shows 12.85, which I believe is a full charge - any explanation on this? tender shows it charged , the volt meter shows it fully charged but it doesn't have the juice to start the bike, can a battery show all this and not have the cranking amps to start it up?
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Hossamania

Yes, it's possible. First, double check all the battery connections, I would even undo them, clean them, and reconnect. If that doesn't work, put a jump on it. Last, try a new, known good battery.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

You need to measure the voltage under load.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on January 10, 2019, 08:21:14 PM
Yes, it's possible. First, double check all the battery connections, I would even undo them, clean them, and reconnect. If that doesn't work, put a jump on it. Last, try a new, known good battery.

I meant to say, if it starts with a jump, your battery is probably bad.

FSG

Quotehe had it on a tender and the green light was on but it won't start the bike - it turns over really slow so I put a volt meter on it and it shows 12.85, which I believe is a full charge -

it should be better than that having been on a/the tender, so IMO it's toast

but as Coyote says "You need to measure the voltage under load", which is the first thing to do when a meter is available.

89 fxrs

How much of a voltage drop would qualify it as toast?
Pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

guido4198

Voltmeter readings are no guarantee that a battery has the power to start the bike.
LOAD TESTING...by someone who knows how is the only way to KNOW (by test).
Of course...if a known good battery or jump will start the bike, you'll have your answer.

Hossamania

Quote from: 89 fxrs on January 10, 2019, 09:30:37 PM
How much of a voltage drop would qualify it as toast?

Reading some past posts, it seems that it should not drop below 10 volts while cranking, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Of course, a proper load test is best.

smoserx1

QuoteVoltmeter readings are no guarantee that a battery has the power to start the bike.
LOAD TESTING...by someone who knows how is the only way to KNOW (by test).
Of course...if a known good battery or jump will start the bike, you'll have your answer.

:agree:  Amen to that advice.  The last battery I had go bad failed so badly the only sign of life was one of the LED passing lamps would slightly flicker...about as bright as a candle.  Obviously the starter would do nothing, not a sound.  The battery showed 12 something volts no load but as soon as the ignition switch was turned on the voltage dropped to less than one volt.  I have had 2 go out like this.  When they are this bad you can't even jump them.  The shorted battery will consume nearly all of the host battery's power.  If you are VERY careful you might be able to test it as follows: 

Disconnect the negative battery cable, make sure it is not touching the battery.  Hook the host battery with jumper cables, positive to positive, but negative to the motorcycle frame, preferably on a non-chromed bolt like the starter mounting bolt.  Then turn on the switch and try to start the bike.  Doing it this way isolates the suspect battery so it cannot suck power from the host, but you do risk creating an arc where the negative cable grounds to the bike, so make sure the connection is secure and the ignition switch is off before proceeding.  This procedure was safe on cars years ago, if it is dangerous to new vehicles with electronics someone chime in cause I don't want to give bad advice.

Scooterfish

:agree: with Hoss, if it drops below 10 volts cranking replace the battery.
Northern Indiana

Billy

Quote from: 89 fxrs on January 10, 2019, 08:14:17 PM
a friend just bought a used 2012 road glide so not sure how old the battery is, but  he had it on a tender and the green light was on but it won't start the bike - it turns over really slow so I put a volt meter on it and it shows 12.85, which I believe is a full charge - any explanation on this? tender shows it charged , the volt meter shows it fully charged but it doesn't have the juice to start the bike, can a battery show all this and not have the cranking amps to start it up?

Easy and accurate load test; disconnect fuel line from bottom of tank, connect volt meter to battery, engage starter for 10 seconds, if voltmeter at any time drops below 10vdc replace battery.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

motorhogman

There should be a date code or actual date on the battery. ?  If it's original it's toast.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

chaos901

I found a battery tester that seems to work well, you hook it up, enter the specified amount of CCAs, whether the battery is in the vehicle or not and hit TEST.  Found it to be reliable and tested some new batteries too just for giggles, they always came back good. 

The brand was ANCEL.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Deye76

If you don't have the testing equipment, pull the battery take it to a auto parts, they will load test.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Panzer

Quote from: Coyote on January 10, 2019, 08:21:51 PM
You need to measure the voltage under load.

Right on........try starting with meter connected, then read voltage.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

a_disalvo

First thing I would do is check ALL connections, especially the grounds and connections to the lead post of the battery. Than put the voltmeter on the battery when you are cranking the motor. Should stay above 10 VDC. Frank

Hossamania

Has the issue been determined and solved yet?