May 03, 2024, 02:25:30 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

transmission to handle 150 ft. lbs

Started by nosjunkie, December 26, 2018, 06:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosjunkie

I want to build a transmission to handle 150 ft lbs of torque... Going in the FXR..
Plans are OEM 5sp new bearing and seals.
Shift drum from a 02..
Baker trap door...

Anything else I should do or add to it??

I usually just call Baker and tell them my needs and get out my CC.... but would rather not at this time...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 26, 2018, 06:20:32 PM
I want to build a transmission to handle 150 ft lbs of torque... Going in the FXR..
Shift drum from a 02..
Baker trap door...

I usually just call Baker and tell them my needs and get out my CC.... but would rather not at this time...

No need to call Baker. 150 SAE through a five speed is easy and somewhat routine. Skip the Baker door. Get the thicker Basagno/Zippers door with the double row bearings. Andrews shafts (they private label them for Jims), close ratio first gear set from Andrews. A set of second and third gears from Andrews isn't a bad idea. Use the late/close contact gears from a later five speed for fourth and fifth gears. Send all the gears out to Zippers to be back cut. The shift drum from an '02 and up five speed must be accompanied by the '02 and up pawl and the longer case bushing. The concentric pawl adjustment screw cane retained, but the later/straight centering screw can also be used. I have built many transmissions for high powered FXRs using this recipe. The only components from Baker that regularly use are the billet forks and the billet shift arm. Source high quality bearings directly from a bearing supplier. Source a new fork rod. Load test every threaded hole in the case. Have yet to find a used oem trans case that didn't need a couple Time-Certs. Much easier to deal with a sa bare case on the bench than after it is in the bike.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

dynabagger

The Baker 5 speed builders kit for $895 - 10% for forum members and rated to 200 HP. Am I wrong to think that's hard to beat?
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

nosjunkie

Quote from: dynabagger on December 28, 2018, 09:38:42 AM
The Baker 5 speed builders kit for $895 - 10% for forum members and rated to 200 HP. Am I wrong to think that's hard to beat?

Do you have a link to that..? i couldn't find it listed...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

No Cents

this guy can build you what you want.

[attach=0]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Shoreglide

I scoured Baker's website just out of curiosity...Over $2k for their 5 speed builders kit! And you still won't have the back cut gears.
Working on putting together a twin cam FXR myself, and plan on following Ed's recipe. Performance, dependability, and strength...without tossing away cash for unneeded fluff.
I have heard good things about R&D's gear services, but Zippers is only a couple hours from me, and I've done business with them sporadically since they opened their doors. Always treated me right.

turboprop

1. The builders kit is indeed $850 -ish on the Baker website. Once the model number is changed to late model FXR, the price changes from $2k to $850-ish.

2. Have used the Zippers back cut service many, many times. No issues and it is inexpensive. No need to hypothesize the what ifs. The sky won't fall.

3. Ebay gear sets almost always have main shafts that are out of spec.

4. The OEM 1st gear set is fine for a heavy and slow bagger, way out of place in a big block FXR.

5. The recipe I posted works very well, but its real strength that every chunk can per purchased in small chunks.

6. Lots of ways to build a mouse trap. Everyone in online forums has a better idea.

dynabagger

December 28, 2018, 06:27:54 PM #7 Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:33:26 PM by dynabagger
I spoke with Mark at Baker and he confirmed the dog teeth are underut 4° on the DD5.

WHile i was on the fence between Zippers Zip Rack and the Baker I chose Baker based on the claim of 200HP/TQ, price and warranty.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Jonny Cash

I've got the ziprack, but I did have them change out the second gear for the Baker
2.08 second gear set.  It makes for a better ratio split from 1-3.  It has been indestructible so far, handles well over 200 hp in a heavy bagger on the track.  Zippers dropped the Rockwell on the gear set for racing, had it out this winter and it looks as new.
Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

pwmorris

Quote from: turboprop on December 26, 2018, 07:30:55 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 26, 2018, 06:20:32 PM
Shift drum from a 02..
Baker trap door...

No need to call Baker. 150 SAE through a five speed is easy and somewhat routine. Skip the Baker door. Get the thicker Basagno/Zippers door with the double row bearings. Andrews shafts (they private label them for Jims), close ratio first gear set from Andrews. A set of second and third gears from Andrews isn't a bad idea. Use the late/close contact gears from a later five speed for fourth and fifth gears. Send all the gears out to Zippers to be back cut. The shift drum from an '02 and up five speed must be accompanied by the '02 and up pawl and the longer case bushing. The concentric pawl adjustment screw cane retained, but the later/straight centering screw can also be used. I have built many transmissions for high powered FXRs using this recipe. The only components from Baker that regularly use are the billet forks and the billet shift arm. Source high quality bearings directly from a bearing supplier. Source a new fork rod. Load test every threaded hole in the case. Have yet to find a used oem trans case that didn't need a couple Time-Certs. Much easier to deal with a sa bare case on the bench than after it is in the bike.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^
150 isnt much, and EZ to handle in a street application as described above.
I'm an R&D guy, but for only 150 and mostly street, there is a more reasonable $$ recipe since the OP has his own build skills...
If Op steps up in power, hits the track with an electric or air shifter regularly (beating the hell out of these gears at 6K shifts), then maybe we can have a different conversation.

les

bobrk1

Depends  on  how  you  ride , just  cruise  and  giving  it  a  twist  for  fun should  be  fine .  A friend  did  a stage  4 on  a  dyna and  was  always  sideways  went  through  4 rear tires a year  went  through  stock  Trans a rec tech 6 speed and  twisted  the  swing arm ended  up  with  a  baker but  like  I  said  loved  to  hammer  it,if it was  me just  Cruise  it still  have  the  factory  Trans lol 

nosjunkie

Baker got back to me on the trans questions I had..

DD5 has 4 deg. back cut gears.. Is complete. Rated for 200HP ..
I can get the 2.82 1st and 2.08 2nd gears and the N1 shift drum for no extra $$

Since I need an entire gear set ($800).. shafts ($200).. drum... forks ($150).. door ($400).. ect.. 

pricing out all of the parts the DD5 at $895 is cheaper and comes with a 5 year warranty..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

scoopfraser

Good suggestion by Dynabagger...it's got me looking as well.

Thanks.
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta

turboprop

Quote from: No Cents on December 28, 2018, 12:24:10 PM
  this guy can build you what you want.

[attach=0,msg1273834]

Have you personally used this company before, did they do the gear set in your bike?

HD/Wrench

TP

Its like NV set ups many out there but until you use them , well you know  ha ha

I have in fact used the RD guys on parts only work was what they said it was . Never a complete set up by them just machine work , and I used the zippers parts and andrews as well .

Very close to what you do ,  I recall when a stronger than stock trans case was pretty cheap  do you recall that .. WOW how things have changed

No Cents

no Ed..my tranny is still stock. But if I was going to ever have my tranny re-done he would be the guy I would send mine to vs buying a Baker unit.
  pwmorris and a few others I know of have had their trannies done by R&D. All of them have told me that R&D is the go to guy if you want to have a bullet proof tranny done. I know his work is highly respected and used by a lot of racers.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

turboprop

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 06, 2019, 07:32:34 AM
TP

Its like NV set ups many out there but until you use them , well you know  ha ha

I have in fact used the RD guys on parts only work was what they said it was . Never a complete set up by them just machine work , and I used the zippers parts and andrews as well .

Very close to what you do ,  I recall when a stronger than stock trans case was pretty cheap  do you recall that .. WOW how things have changed

I saw a used STD FXR trans case sell last month for $2k. Crazy. I bought one from Lou for $150 back in '96. Had I known then I would have purchased a pallet of them .

HD/Wrench

Right, the cost on some parts has gone crazy for sure

FL103Dave

I run at least that through a SE 6 speed.  No issues so far. 

jam65

I had R&D do some work on my 6 speed transmission. Shifts like butter and only needs a slight blip of the clutch to change gears. I can shift it like it has a auto transmission in it.

planemech

Quote from: No Cents on January 06, 2019, 07:41:58 AM
   no Ed..my tranny is still stock. But if I was going to ever have my tranny re-done he would be the guy I would send mine to vs buying a Baker unit.
  pwmorris and a few others I know of have had their trannies done by R&D. All of them have told me that R&D is the go to guy if you want to have a bullet proof tranny done. I know his work is highly respected and used by a lot of racers.

I had them do the whole 9 yards to my factory 6 speed, now all I need is to find a way to stay in the USA long enough to put it back in along with my Mega-Flo 124. Ill be sure to post a review when I get it back on the road.