May 04, 2024, 03:47:30 PM

News:

06 electra glide cam shoe replacment

Started by clap, February 23, 2019, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clap

Im going to replace my cam shoes in my 06. What all should I be needing besides inner cam bearings (b-148) and gaskets to do this job

road-dawgs1

Going through the top to remove pushrods or cutting them and using easy install?
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

clap

cutting pushrods i think  Should I replace lifters.   Shoud I stick with stock pushrods

road-dawgs1

How many miles? You might want to think about changing lifters at same time. It's not hard to go through the top and you save your stock rods. Allows you to freshen up gaskets and such too.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

clap

70 K  was told by dealer the shoes were replaced at 60K but I want to do it for peace of mind

road-dawgs1

I assume you recently purchased the bike? If they indeed replaced shoes at 60k they probably did lifters too. If it were me, I'd open the cam chest and look to see before purchasing anything. No need to bleed before you're cut.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

gonenorth

If it were my bike I would anticipate changing lifters and inner cam bearings while in the cam chest.  Would also look the cams over for galling and see if they need to be replaced.  Would need to get the o rings for cam connections in addition to the gasket kit, of course.

Hossamania

If the dealer did the shoe replacement, they should have a record of it, if so, you're good. Run it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

92flhtcu

As a guy that has a 04FLH, that just 15k ago(right before I bought it) had a 95" kit, cams and heads done by a HD dealer. I now have the engine apart due to a lifter failing. They really appeared to be the original lifters(as well as inner cam bearings) Was told by several trusted engine guys I deal with, that they were original.
Lesson Learned? No two dealers are alike, you can't assume that anything extra was done while they were in there.
Need a bigger garage

tomcat64

Quote from: Hossamania on February 23, 2019, 02:25:15 PM
If the dealer did the shoe replacement, they should have a record of it, if so, you're good. Run it.

at the very least, pull the cam chest cover and inspect them before tearing it apart.

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

Scooterfish

If they were replaced by Dealer 10,000 miles ago I would be concerned they installed the "C" lifters.
Northern Indiana

hbkeith

you didn't get any detailed receipts for previous work done ? if not its hear say

clap

road-dawgs1

C lifters were made in Mexico, were substandard and had some issues with failure.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue