May 05, 2024, 11:30:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR starter clicking noises

Started by Mule, January 22, 2019, 08:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mule

I have a buddy, that fried his starter about two years ago, he got the starter stuck and it ran for like 7 minutes before he got the cable off the battery, I wasn't there when it happened. he brought it up here for me to fix, the starter was fried and smelled burnt.  The battery was questionable. So I replaced the starter, all the cables, Ice cube relay , solenoid  and installed a new battery. Fired it up ,it ran ,but had low compression on the rear cylinder. I did a .010 over top end job with S&S stock type pistons ,new valves ,guides and springs.  sent it home running good everything working as it should. Now after sitting most of the winter he tries to start it with a low battery it almost starts but does not. He puts a 55 amp jump start charger on it and it almost starts but doesn't . Now all it does is click when he tries to start it.So he is calling me wanting to know what's wrong with it. He put a different Ice cube relay on it and it still only clicks . I told him it could be several things Like fried contacts in the solenoid, or damage to the battery from the 55 amps he shot thru it and damage to the starter as well.  He is 75 miles away and wanting me to give him a fix over the phone. I told him it don't work that way! I worked on now I own it forever!  Anything simple that it could be?

fbn ent

Tell him to charge his battery properly and try again......for a first step.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Mule

After the failed starting attempt he put the battery on a 2 amp charger over night ,still the same...

fleetmechanic

Solenoid contacts would be a good thing to check.

fbn ent

:agree: The battery is still suspect....1st. Check grounds.

kd

Battery load test time.  You need to know the basics before wasting any more time.
KD

Hossamania

I would also suspect the battery. Were it mine, I would buy a new one, put the Tender on it before installing, and go from there.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

You should sell him a starter button for the solenoid.   I call them a chopper button.  That will eliminate a few things with just a push of the button. 

Mule

Quote from: calif phil on January 22, 2019, 09:28:00 AM
You should sell him a starter button for the solenoid.   I call them a chopper button.  That will eliminate a few things with just a push of the button. 
I could just jump the solenoid and see if was down there in person as it has the old style solenoid with a Hitachi starter, it's 1987 FXR CHP bike that has been customized.

calif phil

Well that is different then.  Low voltage from the battery or poor electrical connections would be the next route to tackle. 

guido4198

Quote from: Mule on January 22, 2019, 09:33:51 AM
Quote from: calif phil on January 22, 2019, 09:28:00 AM
I could just jump the solenoid and see if was down there in person as it has the old style solenoid with a Hitachi starter, it's 1987 FXR CHP bike that has been customized.
That would be the FIRST thing to do on that bike.

Dan89flstc

January 24, 2019, 02:54:01 AM #11 Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:02:03 AM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: Mule on January 22, 2019, 08:12:33 AM
   He is 75 miles away and wanting me to give him a fix over the phone. I told him it don't work that way! 

Well, ok, let`s try to fix it over the internet from more than 75 miles away... :)

Charge the battery, have it load tested.

Clean all electrical connections, including ground (positive side and negative side of the circuit are equally important).

Inspect solenoid contacts.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 24, 2019, 02:54:01 AM
Quote from: Mule on January 22, 2019, 08:12:33 AM
   He is 75 miles away and wanting me to give him a fix over the phone. I told him it don't work that way! 

Well, ok, let`s try to fix it over the internet from more than 75 miles away... :)

Don`t worry about the battery charger hurting the starter, it didn`t. 

Charge the battery, have it load tested.

Clean all electrical connections, including ground (positive side and negative side of the circuit are equally important).

Inspect solenoid contacts.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Mule

Well I took the day and went up to my buddies place to see if I could fix it! NOT! Solenoid was fried, starter was fried, it got so hot that it literally melted the solder that attaches the brushes and the springs that tension the brushes lost their tension and one broke! The starter isn't even a year old. 55 amp jump starter isn't a good idea!

PoorUB

I doubt the 55 amp boost did anything to it, but I will bet he cranked and cranked it, got the starter hot and cooked it.

You could jump start your Harley with a 12 volt battery for starting semi trucks as long as you don't over do it. You can crank for 20-30 seconds, but give it a few minutes before you try it again. I have seen guys fry car starters when they don't have them timed correctly.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

koko3052

That solenoid can be repaired w/o any parts. File the "buttons" flat and turn the disk over to the "new" side. That gets you out of a bind & I've done that to many heavy truck solenoids. If you're getting a new starter, go with a new solenoid also.

Mule

Already bought a new solenoid from the harley dealership, I  am thinking I should replace the cables because of the heat generated when he fried everything. everything smells really bad burnt smell. What is a good replacement starter? Drag specialties 195145?

fbn ent

January 26, 2019, 06:53:28 AM #17 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 07:48:43 AM by fbn ent
Never tried one from Drag but it would most likely be fine. Don't just toss the old one though. Take it to a rebuilder...they'll fix it if it can be fixed.

Mule

The old one is not worth rebuilding, I kept the original He burnt up as it may be worth the fix. The Drag Specialties are made in Taiwan ,  I bought an old stock Dixie distributing  unit made in Japan, the originals were made in Japan was my thinking... also bought a new set of all balls battery cables as the heat shrink on the cables got so hot it ruptured and cracked. I figure it's not worth taking a chance as there may be damage hidden inside the insulation with a melt down this bad. I need to check the relay circuit and the start switch...

billbuilds

Drag's p/n 2110-0368 shows in their 2018 online catalog as USA made Standard brand. Not sure why they don't reference the OEM p/n 71469-65B.  :scratch:  Good luck with you're repair, I think that you are wise to be replacing the solenoid as opposed to rebuilding it. Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Mule

Drag's p/n 2110-0368 shows in their 2018 online catalog as USA made Standard brand, yes that's correct made in USA but that is for a four speed shovel not a 5 speed FXR. The OEM one I bought from the Harley dealer is USA as well, probably made in the same factory.

fbn ent

January 26, 2019, 08:40:59 AM #21 Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:35:09 AM by fbn ent
 :oops:

Mule

We were talking about the solenoid, in that post

fleetmechanic

We had an early 1984 FXRP that stuck the solenoid and ran the starter until the water boiled out of the battery.  Replaced starter, solenoid, battery and cables and carried a crescent wrench to disconnect the starter if it happened again.  No repeat.

billbuilds

Quote from: Mule on January 26, 2019, 08:36:48 AM
  Drag's p/n 2110-0368 shows in their 2018 online catalog as USA made Standard brand, yes that's correct made in USA but that is for a four speed shovel not a 5 speed FXR. The OEM one I bought from the Harley dealer is USA as well, probably made in the same factory.

Yeah  :bf:  sorry about that.

Quote from: fbn ent on January 26, 2019, 08:40:59 AM
:oops:

Yes indeed, sir.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.