May 03, 2024, 09:40:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

couple questions about FXR's

Started by flht1550, January 27, 2019, 02:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

I have a new 198 FXR project and have a couple questions. If I added a touring model transmission with oil bag under the trans, case is the only thing i'll need to modify is the rear cross over brace. I'm also concerned about the oil fill can interfering with the FXR rear exhaust pipe. Next I want to change my upper rear shock mounts to be as the new 91 and up type. not quite as vertical. has anyone don any of this and maybe have any suggestions or advise. Thanks

Scotty

For the FLH transmission you will need to modify the brace OR modify the oil pan OR buy a modified oil pan.
Not having one here to look at but where is your oil filter located on your 198? FXR as mine is a 92 and is at the front of the motor so you might need to look at that as well.
You can buy an extension for the oil filler mount to move it out further which should let the exhaust clear.
Other thing is you will need to look at clutch as FLH is splined and your clutch won't fit and possibly the inner/out primary primary as well
There maybe other things but as you missed the year when you typed in what it was I can't be certain.
Turboprop who is member here is very knowledgeable and will probably know everything you asked if you send him a PM

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on January 27, 2019, 02:03:47 PM
I have a new 198 FXR project and have a couple questions. If I added a touring model transmission with oil bag under the trans, case is the only thing i'll need to modify is the rear cross over brace. I'm also concerned about the oil fill can interfering with the FXR rear exhaust pipe. Next I want to change my upper rear shock mounts to be as the new 91 and up type. not quite as vertical. has anyone don any of this and maybe have any suggestions or advise. Thanks

I have done all of these things countless times to an FXR.

1. If you replace the FXR case with a later model FL case that has an integrated oil pan, the crossmembers (2ea) will have to be modified. The two commercially available FL/FXR conversion oil pans (San Diego Customs and Deviant Fabrications) are not set up for the Evo style oil lines.

2. After cutting out the FXR crossover the solution for mid controls typically involve mid controls from a dyna. This has been done countless times.

3. The upper shocks mounts can be installed pretty easy. The trick is putting them in the exact same spot on both sides. There are plenty of shops that can cut and weld. Find one with a frame jig. If those upper shock mounts are not in the exact same spot as the other side the shocks will not be balanced.

4. Have never experienced an issue with the oil filler spout interfering with the exhaust pipe on an FXR TC conversion (I currently own three of them), nor have I ever heard any of my buddies with TC conversion FXRs ( I know a few) say anything about issues with the oil spout.

There will be plenty of other issues. All are easy to overcome. Just do it.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flht1550

Sorry about the year, It's a 1984. When you talk about the dyna mid controls are you meaning both sides would need to be switched to the newer dyna or just the right side ?