April 30, 2024, 02:54:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rear axle adjusters

Started by HighLiner, September 12, 2019, 08:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

I have not, but....           $$$     :smileo:

You can add a few hundred to that and get nicer adjusters, and a swing arm setup for them and about 2" of axle travel at R&B Racing.

kd

September 12, 2019, 08:49:57 AM #2 Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:17:17 AM by kd
 :agree:  ....  and (if done properly)  that extra travel allows for changing sprocket sizes without a new chain.  It is a real nice piece that is made from your swingarm or if you like, an ebay offering like I did.
KD

Boe Cole

I like it but a little rich for my blood.  Never have thought much for the cam style axle currently on my bike but it works ok and seems to hold belt tension ok for my riding style.  If someone is really getting on the throttle, I can see where it may not hold up well and the adjusters shown would really do the trick and offer a truer set up for the rear wheel.  If the price comes down through more production, I may reconsider.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Coyote

Thermodyne

On my 11 TRX the belt refused to stay tight, turned out to be the right cam washer was wallowed out.  New washer lasted less than 3 months.  I went with a threaded adjuster set from Zippers.  Works well but hurt the wallet a bit.

Coyote

Quote from: ecir50 on September 13, 2019, 10:05:02 AM

The purpose is to keep the axle from moving once adjusted no?

Yes. But what you posted is for holding the nut. Two different things.

ecir50

the nut is the axle which in turn bolts to the shock bolts.

Coyote

Yeah I understand how it works. The problem is when tightening the nut, the axial can shift. This does nothing to prevent that. The other setup does.

ecir50

without using the third hand tool yes.

HogMike

Quote from: Coyote on September 13, 2019, 10:31:11 AM
Yeah I understand how it works. The problem is when tightening the nut, the axial can shift. This does nothing to prevent that. The other setup does.

I watched with amusement 2 factory trained technicians try to adjust my belt.
Each had the proper Harley tool on each side. Left side guy had a long breaker bar on the Harley tool, right side guy had a big torque wrench on the wrench on the cone nut on the right.
They couldn't seem to keep the axle from rotating and loosening the belt.
Finally got the belt tight and set the cone nut to 100ftlbs.
The snail adjuster on the left side is captive to the axle. When tightening up the cone nut on the right the axle can rotate loose. Hold the left nut tight (as in that eBay part) and tighten up the right nut, I can see how it may work.
Personally, I use the third hand and it works for me.
JME :nix:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Coyote

Yeah, I use the 3rd hand as well. There is no need to try and "hold" the nut IMO. Once torqued, I've never had anything move.

ecir50

yeah and once done install the parts above. no reason for it not to work. looks like will need to space the shocks out with it.

smoserx1

What was wrong with the way the axle adjusters worked prior to 2002?  Yes I know it is possible to screw up the alignment of the rear wheel with individual threaded adjusters but it does not take a genius to figure out how to check it (seems like the SM shows a pretty simple tool you can make out of a welding rod (or metal coat hanger)).  Anyway it seems like this device in the OP is sort of reverting back to the way it was.  I am sort of glad I got the old type, simple and reliable.

PoorUB

Mt 2010 would spin the axle with proper torque.

My method of tightening the belt and torquing the axle is this,

I slide the wheel forward a bit too far, torque the axle to 75 ftlbs, then spin the axle to adjust the belt, then I torque the axle to 125 ftlbs instead of the recommended 100 ftlbs. I use a breaker bar with a socket and a big a$$ clicker torque wrench.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

Why I had this done to my 92' swingarm.  [attach=0]
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP