March 28, 2024, 01:54:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

best choice for4 shift light & wrist kill

Started by johns, February 04, 2019, 06:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johns

Looking to get my 03 FXDX ready to race this season and am looking at wrist kill & shift light options. Looks like Pingel makes a 1" bar kill switch with a bracket for the Dyna shift light. I also looked at the Dyna shift minder combo with the shift light. Thought I would ask you guys that are racing HD's if this is the best option or another might be better. Also looking for struts.

Racepres

A cheapie key ring run thru the bottom of the Run/Off switch is sufficient to tether to.
Struts without wheelie bars is Not recommended...hell... may not be Legal!!Plenty of shift lights out there... or use a Tach with built in adjustable Lite..If yer going to a national... LMK
It is Possible I can Help...

johns

Thanks for the reply, not looking for cheap wrist kill just a good integrated bar mount design that is reliable and adjustable for RPM's for the shift light. Wrist kill that will pass inspection at any event. Surprised that not that many places list this particularly big name HD speed merchants like Zippers, T-man, Star etc.

Racepres

Because when any new person arrives at the track... we show them the Economy tethered kill... then ya can spend the $$ on any Shift light ya want..

BTW Pingel, is a Supporter of the Sport... Most of the others stand around with their Hand out.

Ozbob

Pingel all day, I ran the Pingel electric shifter on my dyna, with programmable engine cutout on shifts.  Shift light was also used with Dynatek RPM programmer.
No need for cutout tether in my area on street bikes, so can't comment other than to say Racepres's cheap idea is cool.

prodrag1320

on my PG bikes,i used a DYNA shift minder & made my own dead man kill

johns

Thanks guys as usual you helped me with good information and to make a decision.

johns

Had to make a last minute change. According to Dyna the shift minder is no longer compatible with the earlier carburated HD's like my 03 FXDX superglide. I ordered the Dyna shift light and Pingel wrist kill with mount for the Dyna shift light. On recommendation from Zippers I ordered the Autometer module to set the shift RPM's. No idea why the Dyna shift minder is not compatible but no warranty warning from them was enough for me to not use. The electronics from Autometer are also significantly less money and have more features.

Racepres

Warranty???? Never heard of Any kind of a Warranty on Race Parts...

pwmorris

Pingel for kill tether (mandatory running 10.99 or quicker, and 9.99 or quicker you need an NHRA license at NHRA tracks across the Country). Some NHRA tech guys want a clean bar mounted kill like Pingel or MPS (I was warned years ago by a tech running a pull kill off my on/off switch not to come back with it, even though it worked fine. He wanted a dedicated kill, so that's what I run now.

Shift light-
MSD.

Racepres

Quote from: pwmorris on February 08, 2019, 04:17:16 PM
Pingel for kill tether (mandatory running 10.99 or quicker, and 9.99 or quicker you need an NHRA license at NHRA tracks across the Country). Some NHRA tech guys want a clean bar mounted kill like Pingel or MPS (I was warned years ago by a tech running a pull kill off my on/off switch not to come back with it, even though it worked fine. He wanted a dedicated kill, so that's what I run now.

Shift light-
MSD.

Where you at??? California??
And... An AMRA License works at NHRA Tracks... BTDT
Never heard of anyone having a Problem with the "pull the Rocker Switch" type Tethered Kill...
Don't know about other methods... but pretty sure the Methods Myself and Kirby...and others used back when may be frowned upon.. especially by Car Guys that ain't got a Clue what we are Doing!!!!

pwmorris

Quote from: Racepres on February 09, 2019, 07:26:10 AM

Shift light-
MSD.

Never heard of anyone having a Problem with the "pull the Rocker Switch" type Tethered Kill...
Don't know about other methods... but pretty sure the Methods Myself and Kirby...and others used back when may be frowned upon.. especially by Car Guys that ain't got a Clue what we are Doing!!!!

For sure!

Yeah, most of the techs I've dealt with are car guys in the lanes that walk over to the bikes and some don't know what they are looking at. Some look for baffles in the exhaust, some don't. Some go thru and check everything on the bike, some just look at my license and sign me off. Like I said, the pull/kill switch off my original button worked fine for me, but after I got a tech who questioned it, I just got the Pingel, just in case. I've gone all the way to a T&T at one NHRA track and didn't pass tech cause a guy put a flashlight up my pipe and didn't see a baffle. Had to pack up and go home....complete waste of a day-all while cars with open headers are 10 x louder than my bike...crazy.

prodrag1320

Shift light-
MSD.

marty,im sure a lot of things "we did back in the day" on and off the track some people would frown on,LOL

Racepres

Quote from: prodrag1320 on February 10, 2019, 03:34:11 AM

Shift light-
MSD.

marty,im sure a lot of things "we did back in the day" on and off the track some people would frown on,LOL

ROFLMAO
Ya Think????
on a serious Note
Common sense was a rule too back then... I think...