Let’s talk about the NEW Advanced Lithium iron phosphate batteries

Started by Iron horse, February 18, 2019, 06:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronMike113

What amps does a new car/truck/semi Alternators put out compared to the motorcycle charging, there lies your Problem,yes will it work,,,,,,, why yes it will work,,,,,,, what toll does it take,,,,,, Just something to think about,,,,,,,,, :potstir:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

smoserx1

I am thinking car alternators start somewhere in the 90 amp range with bigger ones as options as necessary (police vehicles etc.)

truck

Golden rule when jumping from a car, don't run the motor on the car.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

tomcat64

I don't know if this has been covered yet, but we are hearing that if the new HD battery drops below 7 volts, it's throw it away time.. it can not be recharged..

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 23, 2019, 06:45:07 AM
What amps does a new car/truck/semi Alternators put out compared to the motorcycle charging, there lies your Problem,yes will it work,,,,,,, why yes it will work,,,,,,, what toll does it take,,,,,, Just something to think about,,,,,,,,, :potstir:

Newer auto car and truck alternators can be 140 amp output in a common vehicle. I had a Chevy Caprice with all the options and it had a 140 amp alternator. But it makes not difference as it has been discussed, don't run the vehicle while jump starting a motorcycle.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Hossamania on February 23, 2019, 06:04:30 AM
Here in the frozen tundra, we learn how to jump start dead batteries before we get to third grade. Every type of vehicles has been jump started by every other type of vehicle, often improperly, but the job gets done, very few injuries, fewer fires.
When the battery is dead, and you've got to go, you use whatever is available.

When you can only find one jumper cable, DO NOT:

1) Use a wire coat hanger for the other cable or

2) touch front bumpers to complete the ground path & use one positive cable

Heard it from a friend
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

PoorUB

I can not imagine why you would have only one jumper cable. Mine have always been inseparable pairs.

We did jump start one on our service trucks with running the bumpers together and jutting a couple feet of a roll of ten gauge wire and guys held the wire on the positive posts. We let the vehicle run for a couple minute and get a tiny bit of charge on the battery then cranked it up. It didn't seem to me to be that dangerous, or stupid. I suppose we could have left the truck sit there and run around to find jumpers and screw away and hour or two as we were way out in the middle of no where.

Hossamania

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on February 23, 2019, 09:36:03 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 23, 2019, 06:04:30 AM
Here in the frozen tundra, we learn how to jump start dead batteries before we get to third grade. Every type of vehicles has been jump started by every other type of vehicle, often improperly, but the job gets done, very few injuries, fewer fires.
When the battery is dead, and you've got to go, you use whatever is available.

When you can only find one jumper cable, DO NOT:

1) Use a wire coat hanger for the other cable or

2) touch front bumpers to complete the ground path & use one positive cable

Heard it from a friend

Correct, don't do it. Unless you must. Then ok.
Heard that from a friend also....

Poor, as far as only one jumper cable, sometimes an end will corrode off because the cable have sat in a trunk with a rust hole for ten years.
Heard this from a friend as well...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

Moparnut72

Some trucks have major alternators. Mine came with a snow plow package part of which was 200 amp alternator.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

IronButt70

Quote from: Nastytls on February 23, 2019, 02:50:55 AM
Quote from: rhuff on February 22, 2019, 09:54:10 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on February 22, 2019, 03:36:40 PM
Quote from: rhuff on February 21, 2019, 09:34:12 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on February 20, 2019, 07:34:13 AM
Just put a new 500 CCA AGM battery in my ride. No lithium for me for at least 2 years. Maybe by then all the mystery, questions, hype,  whatever about lithium will have been answered.  :chop:

They've been used for years in motorcycles.  Not much left to be answered or sorted out.
Except the bikes that have burned from fires started by lithium batteries.

Bikes have burned from "conventional" batteries as well.  And commercial planes have also fallen from the sky.

Bingo!

If you think about it, it's not really surprising that some Harley people are afraid of new Tech, they are after all, riding on 100 yr old tech. :SM:
Afraid? I don't think so. I'm just not willing to roll the dice to save a few pounds on a touring bike. JMHO
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

No Cents

I've been running a Lithium-ion battery (Twin Power brand) for two full years now...going on three.
I was able to sneak a little winter time ride in today.  :teeth:  I do have the proper battery maintainer for it, and it has been plugged in to it for about a month now because it has been pretty cold around here in SW Ohio.
  My bike with the old 124 fired right up today. I couldn't get my finger off the starter button fast enough. I made about a half dozen stops running some errands that I needed to do, and it spun the engine over each time like the plugs were out of it.
   I too was skeptical about the lithium batteries hearing a couple of horror stories about bikes catching on fire. I think that happened in the infant stage of lithium battery technology. I so far have zero complaints about the one I run. To be honest...it has proven itself to be the best battery I have ever ran in any of my Harley's. But this is just my opinion.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

truck

Do these batteries have a temperature range they should be charged at? My Segway batteries are lithium ion and they say 50 to 122 degrees.

truck

Quote from: tomcat64 on February 23, 2019, 07:47:20 AM
I don't know if this has been covered yet, but we are hearing that if the new HD battery drops below 7 volts, it's throw it away time.. it can not be recharged..
Just grasping at straws here but could this save the battery? http://www.dgbint.com/

Iron horse

From what I read this NEW iron type  lithium battery is replacing the ion type because it's not prone to catch on fire .