Any news on the Jims steady roll bushing lifter

Started by itsafatboy, February 09, 2019, 12:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsafatboy

Just wondering since they have been out for a few years now,  if anyone runs them or any info on people that have run them ,

http://www.jimsusa.com/pdf/2014_supplement.pdf

motorhogman

Look interesting.  ??  I have 0 experience with them though.  Would like to know more about them myself.  Last Jims lifters I used were the Big Axle in a shovel back around 1990  or so.. They are still in the engine and working fine..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Moparnut72

I wonder about replacing needles with bushings or plain bearing which ever they may be or being called. If they are under positive oil pressure, no problem if not I would be leery. I collect, work on and run antique and classic outboard motors. Mercury came out with what they called a full jewelled motor in the 40's after the war. Other manufacturers used bronze bushing on rod journals and wrist pins to rods. These motors were required to run on a 16:1 gas to oil mixture to survive. The Mercury Full Jewelled motors replaced these bronze bushings with needles. They were able to run the at 30:1 oil mixture. We still run some of the 4 cylinders in racing today and it is not uncommon the crank them to 10,000 rpm. When Mercs hit the racing scene in the 50's they were beating up on the competition's motors twice their size. A lot of it had to do with the needle bearings. They are pretty dependable but in normal usage very dependable and a failure in this area is almost unheard of with proper maintenance. With the better 2 stroke oil we have now we run these same motors at 50:1. Anyway to me this seems to be a step backwards unless I am missing something. Please enlighten me if I am wrong. I am looking to replace my lifters due to an issue I have had.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

koko3052

No experience with the Jims, but it makes sense. When a lifter blows what does the damage to the rest of the engine.... the needle bearings...no needle bearings....way less damage to the rest of the engine. :up:

turboprop

Quote from: itsafatboy on February 09, 2019, 12:11:03 PM
Just wondering since they have been out for a few years now,  if anyone runs them or any info on people that have run them ,

http://www.jimsusa.com/pdf/2014_supplement.pdf

Jm gave me a set at the V--Twin Expo when they first came out. I ran them in my bagger for about four years or so and put 30k miles on them, which is what Jim asked me to do. They looked really good when I pulled them out to send back to Jim's. I replaced them with a set of lifters from Larry, also no issues. I would not hesitate to run another set of them. Only reason I don't is they are so expensive.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

I believe Isky have had them for years and that may be where they were first introduced.
KD

Don D

February 10, 2019, 07:21:35 AM #6 Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:52:28 AM by HD Street Performance
You are correct. There is a manufacturer in California. But the Iskys are a joint venture with Johnson lifter company. Morel will not make them although they are definitely capable.

motorhogman

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

itsafatboy

well id probably go with isky over jims same price point expensive ,  if the bushing is pressure feed seems like a good idea , I use the woods gen2 now and the needles are oil feed also , maybe in the future like new things .

HighLiner

Don D

Ok but those are solids. They will not make hydraulic rollers from what was explained to me by Chris Straub

hogasm

04 SEEG
02 FLHTC

turboprop

Not seeing too many responses about the actual Jims lifters. Certainly someone other than me has run these lifters. Seeing as Jims has gotten a pretty bad rap for their twin cam lifters, it would be good if their new lifters were trouble free.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

itsafatboy

Wookie3011

Still working great. Pulled them today for some more work and the surfaces look brand new no frosting on hardened surfaces. Very quiet for what I'm running.

itsafatboy

did you also use limiters in those ?

Wookie3011

Quote from: itsafatboy on June 20, 2022, 11:03:34 AMdid you also use limiters in those ?

Yes I did, adjusted one flat off the bottom. Or really 2.  when I hanker down on the pushrods, it's got a flat worth of tightening. Working great, quiet. Just finished up the install of the thayer. I have a Beta so the interference between the bearing screws and the pump was a bunch. Finally got it good to go but it took several mock ups to get it there.

60Gunner

June 21, 2022, 03:45:38 PM #17 Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 03:50:27 PM by 60Gunner
Quote from: Wookie3011 on June 21, 2022, 10:34:07 AM
Quote from: itsafatboy on June 20, 2022, 11:03:34 AMdid you also use limiters in those ?

Yes I did, adjusted one flat off the bottom. Or really 2.  when I hanker down on the pushrods, it's got a flat worth of tightening. Working great, quiet. Just finished up the install of the thayer. I have a Beta so the interference between the bearing screws and the pump was a bunch. Finally got it good to go but it took several mock ups to get it there.

I thought the bearing screws were going to be an issue at first mock up too. Even called R&R about it. But like they said, once everything is drawn together tight there's clearance. Not a lot but enough.

Looked at these lifters for about 2 minutes. I'll stick with the Hylifts.

itsafatboy

Im going to get the jims also with the limiters from some where, i have the smith brother pushrods and they have a 20 TPI threads so I'll go one flat off bottom that's still ..0083 per flat best i can do, 

was waiting on the smith brothers new pushrod billet covers but who knows when they will be ready based on country as it is .