April 27, 2024, 04:19:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 ultra 88 excessive engine vibration

Started by chas, May 31, 2019, 05:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi all- This winter I decided to replace the front motor mount, thinking it has a split in it and the cause of excessive shaking! Upon removing it I found that it wasn't split and looked ok. I have watched other vids of 03 ultras and they shake much less than mine does. Do I have to think about rear mount replacement to solve this problem, and is alignment something that I need to think about also? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance

kd

Idle speed "shake" is normal for rubber mount engines. If the idle speed is too low (under 1050 rpm) the shake may be worse. Some aftermarket performance cams will have negative influence also.   Vibration at higher as in cruising RPM is a different cat.   Your description doesn't clearly say when.
KD

jamminhd2000

In my experience 03 is one of the bikes that shake the most and not really sure why. I would love to hear people thoughts on it. If the windshield and fairing seem to be shaking check the inner fairing mounts I have seen alot of broken ones....jimmy

Don D

Shaking is usually crank runout or motor mount related

remington007

After riding 100's of HD's a year i can say no 2 are alike. Some are as smooth as glass others vibrate miserably. That said if your bike has not undergone a drastic change, its probably the way it is going to be. The early twin cams are quite smooth but the cranks were actually ballanced then, even the charging rotors were ballanced. Everything now is the luck of the draw.

chaos901

Back to what JAMMIN said about the fairing.  The fairing brackets back in 2003 were prone to break which allowed the fairing to vibrate badly, broke several myself.  The replacement bracket has been modified and is much stronger.  This of course would only apply if the fairing is the problem and not the engine.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rking1550

I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat. 01 roadking had original mount, replaced it this winter. Now a bad vibration off idle to maybe 1400 rpms, seems worse on decel, maybe because of spending more time in that range ?  Either way I'm following this closely and seriously considering trying another new motor mount. 
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

koko3052

Quote from: HD Street Performance on May 31, 2019, 09:21:46 AM
Shaking is usually crank runout or motor mount related

:up:  I think Don hit the nail on the head.. An easy check.

Hossamania

Quote from: rking1550 on May 31, 2019, 12:54:27 PM
I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat. 01 roadking had original mount, replaced it this winter. Now a bad vibration off idle to maybe 1400 rpms, seems worse on decel, maybe because of spending more time in that range ?  Either way I'm following this closely and seriously considering trying another new motor mount.

Did you try loosening the mount a bit, start the motor, let it shake into place, and retighten it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Ohio HD

Video it. Many of us can look at the video and see if it looks as normal, or suspect of other issues.

Curious, is this your first rubber mounted Twin Cam?

chas

I will loosen the mount, start her up and re-tighten.

rking1550

Quote from: Hossamania on May 31, 2019, 04:40:57 PM
Quote from: rking1550 on May 31, 2019, 12:54:27 PM

Did you try loosening the mount a bit, start the motor, let it shake into place, and retighten it?

Yes, I did that, twice. Didnt have a torque wrench,  so it's not torqued to any specific ftlb.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

chas

Jammin- You mentioned the fairing and windshield shaking from broken fairing mount. That gets me thinking that the shaking could be more from the fairing than the engine because the handlebars shake the most! Could you give me a link to the stronger fairing mount? I will take fairing apart and check the mounts

twincam8888

Quote from: chaos901 on May 31, 2019, 11:23:23 AM
Back to what JAMMIN said about the fairing.  The fairing brackets back in 2003 were prone to break which allowed the fairing to vibrate badly, broke several myself.  The replacement bracket has been modified and is much stronger.  This of course would only apply if the fairing is the problem and not the engine.
YEP
But what do I know? I drive a party bus.

chaos901

The H-D replacement fairing bracket is better than the original, it got upgraded after a few years.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE