May 02, 2024, 01:43:45 PM

News:

Time to replace the primary chain?

Started by Glide1962, February 27, 2019, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glide1962

I suspect I know the answer to this, but need to ask anyway.  '02 Road Glide with 85,000 miles.  I've been getting knocking noise from the primary on cold starts, but it goes away when the bike warms up.  I've tried adjusting but not much change and recently installed the auto-adjusting kit from HD (I'm getting old and figured I might not be getting it right anymore).  Now it is quiet on cold start, but after it warms up I can hear a whirring sound.  It isn't really loud (don't hear it at speed, only when stopped).

So the question is, do I need to replace the chain?  I'm thinking the chain is stretched such that the auto-adjuster has tightened up too much and causing the whirring, and is also why I haven't been able to adjust so I don't have the knock on cold start.

Thanks.

smoserx1

If it makes a whirring sound when warmed up I bet it is too tight.  Pop off the inspection cover when hot and check.  I went over 200000 on the primary chain in my 99 FLHT.  I did replace all the primary innards last summer with a set from an EFI bike so I could get a 3.37 ratio and I was also getting that knocking noise (reminded me of a diesel engine).  I believe it was the high mileage compensator instead of the chain.  I had that noise for many thousands of miles.  I would put the manual adjuster back in and keep running it.

14GuineaPig

I had a 2002 FLHTCUI with 135,000 on the original primary chain.  The adjuster shoe was replaced at 110,000.

86fxwg

Some of Whiring noise may be from the new shoe seating to the chain.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Glide1962

I opened it up last night.  The chain was tighter than Dick's helmet.  I removed the auto-adjuster and put the old one back in.  I'll just live with the noise on cold start; it quiets down once it's warm.

Thanks all.

smoserx1

March 01, 2019, 04:50:35 AM #5 Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 05:02:46 AM by smoserx1
The compensator assembly consists of a sprocket, sliding cam, shaft extension and cover.  The cam and extension items fit together with splines and I believe eventual wear causes some play resulting in the sound you hear.  It could also be wear on the ramps of the sprocket and cam.  And I don't believe this is in any way related to the issues folks had with the compensators on 6 speeds.  Anyway eventually you will probably experience this noise even when things are warmed up.  I did, and lived with it for years.  If you want to try replacing the compensator assembly take a look at this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/03-HARLEY-ROAD-KING-FLHRI-FLHR-Compensating-Sprocket-Gear-40308-94/401662409400?epid=1623297842&hash=item5d84f1fab8:g:PPMAAOSwzaJcGWsE:rk:14:pf:0

Bought new, all this stuff would be several hundred dollars.  The part number for just the sprocket is  40308-94 and you can search this on EBay and find several assemblies on any given day.  Make sure you get a 25 tooth one unless you want to change the ratio like I did.  As I said in my previous post I replaced all the primary components that had about 200000 + miles with a salvage set from EBay claimed to have about 75000 miles.  The knocking went away. but I bought this stuff for the lower ratio the early EFI bikes had.

For years I read stories about automatic adjusters causing excessively tight chains (especially the Harley version) and for this reason I decided never to use one.  Eventually with the manual adjuster the chain seems to reach a degree of stretch and it doesn't seem to really increase much thereafter.  The problem with the manual adjuster is it has steps and it becomes difficult or impossible to get the cold adjustment exactly in the recommended range.  Try to go a little tighter and the chain gets banjo string tight when hot and whines.  Go down one step and it seems a little loose but that is where I keep mine and your chain will damn near last forever.  And don't believe any of that BS the automatic adjuster folks say about the chain hitting the case if you don't use their product.  You can always feel how much clearance you have from the top of the chain to the case above and I would think if the chain were hitting it would be very loud.  I would just run it like you have it and enjoy it for another 85000 miles.

hogpipes1

I am amazed at all the bs H-D has been threw with all the auto  this and that  chain adj.  All they had to do  was scrap there  B-Twin set up and go with the simple tried and true sportster set up .  simple  little inspection cover , loosen lock nut on botton of pri run the adj. bolt up or down to adj. the chain . thats it ,  tighten the nut , 2 screws for  the cover  and  you are done.
Job is finished faster than you can drink a beer.
XL bikes have always been ahead of the big bikes for simple fixing if you even have a problem . At least in my exp. with the solid mount bikes . 2000 xl  85 FXRT & 2003 FLHTC .. The xl is  always  ready to roll. Pri chain  is a far  far thought away and there is no comp sprocket, so they take alittle more abuse.

Moparnut72

:agree:  Sportsters rule. HD should have used some of the XL tech when they did the Twin Cams. I would love to have a Sporty on the side but can't afford two bikes.
kk
"The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know." Albert Einstein