March 28, 2024, 06:24:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Venting fix?

Started by cmashark, February 26, 2019, 06:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammerhandle

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on March 14, 2019, 05:15:41 AMMike Beland sure as hell, is not "amateur" hour...... :hyst: :hyst:
When you fully endorse an incomplete product, as if it the best thing since sliced bread, call out other companies, didnt even produce the product and you're just the reseller, and say stuff like "most guys never check their oil on the ride" regardless of your experience as a owner/rider/racer, you're at best a shill for an amateur. Literally every other product on the market right now, is light years ahead of the M3 product. :slap:

Quote from: rbabos on March 14, 2019, 07:12:35 AMTrue. Based on this and the trans transfer, that amateur hour title is best left to HD.
Agreed. Yet what they have made, is no better the usual "HD fix". Creating a problem, that didnt need to exist, while calling it a solution. HD is the king of that scheme, lets leave that to them.

Quote from: BUGLET on March 14, 2019, 10:35:04 AMDoes it come with a check valve and dip stick for $99.
It meets a price point, and fits closer with things coming out of china, rather than the solutions T Man and Fueling have made.

2019 Wicked Red Denim FLTRXS

hd06

I think I'll drill the dipstick like T-Man's and put a DK customs I can come up with a one valve and see how much mist and water I can catch. But first check if this affects my warranty.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Hammerhandle on March 14, 2019, 03:15:34 PM
Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on March 14, 2019, 05:15:41 AMMike Beland sure as hell, is not "amateur" hour...... :hyst: :hyst:
When you fully endorse an incomplete product, as if it the best thing since sliced bread, call out other companies, didnt even produce the product and you're just the reseller, and say stuff like "most guys never check their oil on the ride" regardless of your experience as a owner/rider/racer, you're at best a shill for an amateur. Literally every other product on the market right now, is light years ahead of the M3 product. :slap:

Quote from: rbabos on March 14, 2019, 07:12:35 AMTrue. Based on this and the trans transfer, that amateur hour title is best left to HD.
Agreed. Yet what they have made, is no better the usual "HD fix". Creating a problem, that didnt need to exist, while calling it a solution. HD is the king of that scheme, lets leave that to them.

Quote from: BUGLET on March 14, 2019, 10:35:04 AMDoes it come with a check valve and dip stick for $99.
It meets a price point, and fits closer with things coming out of china, rather than the solutions T Man and Fueling have made.

You need to stop being so happy all the time....... :teeth:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

No Cents

March 15, 2019, 07:32:01 AM #78 Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:19:29 AM by No Cents
Quote from: FSG on March 14, 2019, 11:36:00 AM
if I was needing one of these things I think I'd make my own,
actually what I'd made is a screw in bush that went away to a vent/filter
and allowed the OEM Dipstick to screw back into it
I'd also lengthen the OEM Dipstick so that it would still read correct

NOTE: I also cut the dipsticks on the 5 speeds   :SM:

I'm making one right now.  :up:
I ordered a black #4 AN fitting adapter so I could drill and tap the oil filler hole and a I also ordered a black 90* AN swivel fitting to screw on to it. I bought 4 feet of fuel line hose and I already had a small filter to mount to the end of the hose. I made a small bracket to mount the filter underneath the fascia on the rear fender.
   I have less than $20.00 invested in it so far. I can buy a one way check valve for the 1/4" hose for under $6.00...if I wanted to add it into the hose. I think right now I'll try it without the one way check valve and see how it goes.

[attach=0,msg1287221]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Buglet

NO Cents  I think you have the best deal yet. I was figuring around $20 and if you had to buy a drill and tap you can add another $ 10, Even if a shop wanted to charge you a 1/2 hour labor you still be a head. 

No Cents

I bought the AN fittings off E-Bay. I couldn't find any locally.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Hilly13

It's a shame the new head-vents can be problematic, that was something that actually worked pretty well on the twin cam, well after a bit massaging anyway.
Just because its said don't make it so

rbabos

Quote from: Hilly13 on March 15, 2019, 05:54:44 PM
It's a shame the new head-vents can be problematic, that was something that actually worked pretty well on the twin cam, well after a bit massaging anyway.
Depends. I've had brand new James umbrellas that leaked like hell. Ended up re installing the OEM umbrellas. Those seemed to be the best out there. It really is such a simple valve, I don't understand why they would have issues with it.
Ron

Hilly13

Quote from: rbabos on March 16, 2019, 06:15:25 AM
Quote from: Hilly13 on March 15, 2019, 05:54:44 PM
Depends. I've had brand new James umbrellas that leaked like hell. Ended up re installing the OEM umbrellas. Those seemed to be the best out there. It really is such a simple valve, I don't understand why they would have issues with it.
Ron
I've not had the unit in my hand Ron so I have nothing to go on but what others have said, I tried looking up the parts but I can't find a good diagram to even see what's in there component wise.
Just because its said don't make it so

cmashark

March 16, 2019, 11:08:50 PM #84 Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:57:22 AM by cmashark
A quick thought from the peanut gallery.  I am in the middle of installing a new cam in my 2019 bike and I noticed that even with the stock cam, these things must have a lot of reversion in the intake.  I was surprised by the amount of oil that had been splashed against the back side of the air cleaner.  The metal part of element, not the fiber part, on the stock ventilator air cleaner.  Makes me wonder how well the stock head vents actually work with the intake sending pulses outward.  My new air cleaner will be vented outside of the air cleaner.
2021 FLHXSE

rich1

Quote from: cmashark on March 16, 2019, 11:08:50 PM
A quick thought from the peanut gallery.  I am in the middle of installing a new cam in my 2019 bike and I noticed that even with the stock cam, these things must have a lot of reversion in the intake.  I was surprised by the amount of oil that had been splashed against the back side of the air cleaner.  The metal part of element, not the fiber part, on the stock ventilator air cleaner.  Makes me wonder how well the stock head vents actually work with the intake sending pulses outward.  My new air cleaner will be vented outside of the air cleaner.

I have noticed what you are describing. I have also noticed that sometimes when you shut the bike off it will cough back loudly through the throttle body.  I think that is where the oil is coming from that shows up on the metal part of the air filter. And not from normal running. Admittedly, I could be wrong.

bigcraig

While I have the equipment and the ability to install the T-man kit, hell, I can source the fittings and materials and build my own kit, I have chosen to just buy the Feuling kit.

I am at that point in my life where simply ordering a pre-made kit and 15 minutes of work is more efficient.  :wink:

hd06

If I run with my oil level on the full mark I have that problem of oil in my breather, 3/4 qt. low stops that problem.

turboprop

Quote from: bigcraig on March 17, 2019, 06:48:58 AM
While I have the equipment and the ability to install the T-man kit, hell, I can source the fittings and materials and build my own kit, I have chosen to just buy the Feuling kit.

I am at that point in my life where simply ordering a pre-made kit and 15 minutes of work is more efficient.  :wink:

I agree. The M3 vent has too many compromises and the T-Man is too much work (and possible risk). The Fueling system is the best of both. No machining, and no compromises and really the price difference between it and the M3  system is minimal.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cmashark

Another thought from the peanut gallery:  Earlier today, I was reminiscing of when I lived in Florida.  I had a couple friends that rode softails.  I remember one day we were flying down 98, from Pensacola to PCB for their Thunder Beach, and one of them had their dipstick blow completely out of the oil tank(lost).  Another one had his pop up but his leg kept it from leaving his bike.  This might be a solid fix.  Are any of you builders finding evidence of poor ring sealing when y'all are tearing down bikes for bigger bores?
2021 FLHXSE

1workinman

Quote from: turboprop on March 09, 2019, 06:32:46 PM
None of you guys are from the south. TR was saying he is venting the heads to the oil pan instead of to an external catch tank which he discusses at the beginning of the video. This is done not to relieve pressure from the oil tank, but to relieve the pressure from the heads back into the oil tank.

Those fittings in the heads are not a new idea. S&S does that on their 4-⅛" bore heads (Evo and TC) to get around harley's patent. From S&S, those fittings are plumbed to the AC and a nipple on the manifold. It is pretty common for gear heads to drill the front port (smaller size as it comes from S&S) to accept a ⅛ NPT fitting and run both heads to a catch can. That is how the TC124 in my re/white bike is done and is very similar to how PW has his TC126 set up. The traditional head vents in my engine are plugged. I run a hose from the fitting in each head to a catch can. I also have a line teed into the oil tank vent to engine hose (similar to the setup sold by Fueling). All three of these lines have one-way valves in them. Seems to work very well.
Ed I have a 124 in my 12 Street Glide that the heads are SS that Jim at Mega Flow did ,  those heads are done like that with both heads ran down to the ground , do you recommend check valves on the lines . I was under the impression that the heads had a check of some design in the head . I have give some thought to adding the breather to the dip stick but I think that the vent needs a check valve to keep the pistons from pulling in air when the go up the cylinders or may be I wrong there but I don't see how 

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on March 15, 2019, 01:50:00 PM
  I bought the AN fittings off E-Bay. I couldn't find any locally.

[attach=0,msg1287302]

[attach=1,msg1287302]
Thanks Ray I knew you would do something that works good . Pictures lol thanks again 

turboprop

Quote from: 1workinman on March 20, 2019, 06:22:46 PM
Quote from: turboprop on March 09, 2019, 06:32:46 PM
None of you guys are from the south. TR was saying he is venting the heads to the oil pan instead of to an external catch tank which he discusses at the beginning of the video. This is done not to relieve pressure from the oil tank, but to relieve the pressure from the heads back into the oil tank.

Those fittings in the heads are not a new idea. S&S does that on their 4-⅛" bore heads (Evo and TC) to get around harley's patent. From S&S, those fittings are plumbed to the AC and a nipple on the manifold. It is pretty common for gear heads to drill the front port (smaller size as it comes from S&S) to accept a ⅛ NPT fitting and run both heads to a catch can. That is how the TC124 in my re/white bike is done and is very similar to how PW has his TC126 set up. The traditional head vents in my engine are plugged. I run a hose from the fitting in each head to a catch can. I also have a line teed into the oil tank vent to engine hose (similar to the setup sold by Fueling). All three of these lines have one-way valves in them. Seems to work very well.
Ed I have a 124 in my 12 Street Glide that the heads are SS that Jim at Mega Flow did ,  those heads are done like that with both heads ran down to the ground , do you recommend check valves on the lines . I was under the impression that the heads had a check of some design in the head . I have give some thought to adding the breather to the dip stick but I think that the vent needs a check valve to keep the pistons from pulling in air when the go up the cylinders or may be I wrong there but I don't see how

I have tried them with and without the one way valves. I didn't notice any differences one way or the other. Even did a few pulls on the dyno with and without. Any differences were well within the margin of error. With that, I left them in. I have S&S cast rocker boxes on this engine. From S&S, the 4-⅛" bore engines had a one way valve in the hose from the rear head to the backing plate. My reasoning was S&S put the one way valve in the line from the rear head, my engine has the front head setup the same way. Will add that this engine also has the one way breather valve in the crankcase. All of the online experts said not to run it. I spoke with an engineer at S&S about this and decided to run it. I will say that hands down, this engine is fantastic.  I run the vent lines to a catch can. Have never seen anything more than a cup of water with maybe a drop or two of oil come out.

Bottom line, the S&S check valves are inexpensive and take less than a minute each to install. Try it. 

1workinman

Thanks i have a couple of those valves  , no down side , i going to  add the extra  vent to filler

No Cents

Jim...my AN fittings should be here tomorrow...at least according to the tracking #'s.
I'll snap a couple of pictures of it all once I have it all buttoned up.  :up:
   I've already got the hole drilled and tapped in the oil filler hole for the straight adapter AN fitting, and I have the filter mounted at the rear of the bike, and the vent hose is already routed and ran back to the oil filler hole...so all I have to do is screw the straight AN adapter fitting in and cut the vent hose to length so I can put the 90* AN swivel fitting on to it.
   I did go to the hardware store and I bought an O-ring for the straight AN adapter fitting that gets screwed into the side of the oil filler hole. That should make for a good seal for the AN adapter up against the oil filler hole. I thought about using some thread sealant...but opted to try an O-ring first.

wfolarry

Quote from: No Cents on March 21, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
   Jim...my AN fittings should be here tomorrow...at least according to the tracking #'s.
   I've already got the hole drilled and tapped in the oil filler hole for the straight adapter AN fitting, and I have the filter mounted at the rear of the bike, and the vent hose is already routed and ran back to the oil filler hole...so all I have to do is screw the straight AN adapter fitting in and cut the vent hose to length so I can put the 90* AN swivel fitting on to it.
   I did go to the hardware store and I bought an O-ring for the straight AN adapter fitting that gets screwed into the side of the oil filler hole. That should make for a good seal for the AN adapter up against the oil filler hole. I thought about using some thread sealant...but opted to try an O-ring first.

How is the o ring going to seal when you drilled a hole in a round bore?

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on March 21, 2019, 02:19:57 PM
Quote from: No Cents on March 21, 2019, 11:33:23 AM

How is the o ring going to seal when you drilled a hole in a round bore?

I understood he was going to use a NPT to AN adapter fitting int he oil filler. Not sure where an o-ring would be used on either end of that adapter. Or on any of the hose ends. I think we are about to learn something.

No Cents

I'll see Larry.  :nix:  I seen that some of the AN adapter fittings that were for sale online came with an O-ring for the 1/8" NPT end. The one I purchased didn't come with one. There is flat space under the head for an O-ring. I figured I'd see if an O-ring would work and prevent it from any weeping around the adapter...if it does weep...I will use thread sealant on it.

[attach=0,msg1288344]

[attach=1,msg1288344]

wfolarry

Trust me Ray. That 1/8 pipe thread is tapered. If you try to tighten it down to seat an o ring you're going to have problems. Put some sealer on the threads & tighten it down enough to seat. That neck will break if you go too far.
If they have o rings it's for straight thread. You don't want/need an o ring for a taper thread.

No Cents

ok...thread sealant it is.  :up: