New from Charlotte w/ a Cam Project

Started by NitroRoo, March 04, 2019, 07:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitroRoo

Hey everyone - just thought I'd pop in and introduce myself.  Have had a 2005 Ultra Classic for just about a year now.  Bought it with 18k and over 31k on it now.  Took a look at the cam tensioners at 20k and they looked fine, but opened it up again due to a cracked exhaust bracket (had to pull exhaust anyway, might as well check cam chest), and they are quite a bit more worn down.

So... I've been doing lots of research and trying to figure out how to fix this without spending a ton of money, and totally failed.

SS509c cams on their way, V&H FuelPak Tuner, SS Powertune Duals Header, SE Hydraulic Cam Plate Upgrade, SE adjustable pushrods...   oouuch that was pricey.

Hoping all my stuff gets in soon so I can ride this weekend!

Only thing I'm missing / haven't bought yet is the cam service kit 17045-99D.  I took a look at it in the shop and it has a TON of stuff I wouldn't use.  Not going into the rocker boxes, getting bearings with new cams, etc.. but looking over the instructions it looks like I might still need some o-rings and clips possibly... Any advice there?  Or do I just need to spend the extra $116 to get a few little parts  :emoGroan:

SixShooter14

Howdy, welcome from Arkansas.

I can't help ya much as I only have 1 cam. But you can check out the General or TC technical sections for some great information. If you can't decide after reading, post up a thread and someone is sure to help.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

harttoo

Hossamania

Welcome to the site. Give California Phil a call, he's a vendor on this site, he can set you up with just the individual parts you need.
Post in Twin Cam for any questions or help you might need.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Leed

Welcome from Texas!  Yes post your question in the Twin Cam section.  Most people change out the rear bearings when they're in that far.

Pete_Vit

Another welcome from Arkansas, yup great folks here can help with all you needs, and Phil's a great choice when you decide what you need  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch