April 27, 2024, 11:50:37 AM

News:

Wet sump/Oil pan would cure sumping

Started by trex, March 07, 2019, 08:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trex

Since I suggested this elsewhere and got no response I'll ask it on my own thread. Wouldn't making the engine a wet sump design eliminate wet sumping completely? Oil couldn't build up to slow the flywheel because it would just drop below the flywheel into the oil pan to be picked up and circulated by an oil pump in the pan. Pan wouldn't have to be real deep just long and wide enough to carry 4 or 5 quarts. Baffling in the pan would eliminate any sloshing issues.

rbabos

Quote from: trex on March 07, 2019, 08:29:29 AM
Since I suggested this elsewhere and got no response I'll ask it on my own thread. Wouldn't making the engine a wet sump design eliminate wet sumping completely? Oil couldn't build up to slow the flywheel because it would just drop below the flywheel into the oil pan to be picked up and circulated by an oil pump in the pan. Pan wouldn't have to be real deep just long and wide enough to carry 4 or 5 quarts. Baffling in the pan would eliminate any sloshing issues.
Said that all along. With all of the engines now including softails and no remote oil tank, there's no need for a scavenge pump, period,  if direct routing to pan is accomplished. V rod is a wet sump as are many other brands. I guess this was too commonsensical for the engineers to grasp.
Ron

trex

Yea, they're already half way there with the engine oil down low next to the tranny oil, what's the big deal?